What's a good quality carbon fork?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ns>, Aug 15, 2003.

  1. Ed Ness

    Ed Ness Guest

    > These days, fork heights are standardized, (and are available in only a few choices of rake) and
    > most frames assume the fork will be built to that standard.

    Fork heights are NOT standardized these days as you mentioned.

    I've measured quite a few forks on the market and have noted the following:

    - Reynolds Ozuo Pro - 374 mm

    - Alpha Q forks - 374 mm

    - Wound-Up - 365 mm

    - Profile BRC - 365 mm

    - Look HSC3 - 368 mm

    - Columbus Muscle - 365 mm

    - Kestral EMS (old version) - 370 mm

    - Old lugged crown steel forks - 361 mm to 365 mm (most are 363'ish)

    A change of 10 mm of fork length will slacken head tube and seat tube angles approx. 0.65 degrees
    and also raise the bottom bracket height by about 4 mm. Some may like the change but most will not.

    Ed

  2. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/forklengths.htm

    For a more definitive study of fork lengths and their affect on bike handling, see Damon Rinard's
    study. Pay close attention to the last paragraph in which he states "You can probably tell that I
    think worrying about fork length when changing a road fork is usually not worth it."

    news:<[email protected]>...