What's a good racing position?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Randomchris, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Randomchris

    Randomchris Guest

    I reckon you can achieve pretty much the same body position (with different arm positioning,
    obviously) with bars close to saddle and low down, or further away (more stretched out) and higher.
    Obviously this will affect handling and your comfort on the bike.

    My question is - which is best for racing (and training for racing)? Long or low?

    Tags:

  2. "RandomChris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I reckon you can achieve pretty much the same body position (with
    different
    > arm positioning, obviously) with bars close to saddle and low down, or further away (more
    > stretched out) and higher. Obviously this will affect handling and your comfort on the bike.
    >
    > My question is - which is best for racing (and training for racing)? Long
    or
    > low?

    Not being compentent enough to answer your question. However it does seem to me that even if you can
    get comfortable and efficient in both the scenarious you describe, what will happen when you get out
    of the saddle for sprinting or climbing? I suppose we need to compromise somehow to be able to
    change around.

    --
    Replace the dots to reply

    Perre

  3. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "RandomChris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I reckon you can achieve pretty much the same body position (with
    different
    > arm positioning, obviously) with bars close to saddle and low down, or further away (more
    > stretched out) and higher. Obviously this will affect handling and your comfort on the bike.
    >
    > My question is - which is best for racing (and training for racing)? Long
    or
    > low?

    As it turns out the question can't easily be answered. Depending on each individual it differs. John
    Cobb has a web site that answers some of your questions
    http://www.bicyclesports.com/technical/index.html.

  4. Mike Reed

    Mike Reed Guest

    1st