What's a good trainer to get

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Pete Derkowski, Nov 17, 2006.

  1. Having gotten back into biking this past summer, and getting a new bike,
    I'm thinking of getting a trainer for the winter.

    Nashbar has them on sale - ie. a Fluid Trainer NB-FT6 that's regularly $209,
    now on sale for $99.

    Is it any good? Is there some other brand/model that's better for the
    price? I can prob go as high as $150 for one.

    Looking for one that works well and doesn't fall apart.

    Pete

    Tags:

  2. Pete Derkowski wrote:
    > Having gotten back into biking this past summer, and getting a new bike,
    > I'm thinking of getting a trainer for the winter.
    >
    > Nashbar has them on sale - ie. a Fluid Trainer NB-FT6 that's regularly $209,
    > now on sale for $99.
    >
    > Is it any good? Is there some other brand/model that's better for the
    > price? I can prob go as high as $150 for one.
    >
    > Looking for one that works well and doesn't fall apart.
    >
    > Pete

    Since you are getting back into cycling, nothing like a stationary
    trainer to sour you on riding again..get some rollers. Simple, makes
    the time go faster, makes you a better rider.

  3. Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    (Pete Derkowski wrote):

    > > Having gotten back into biking this past summer, and getting a new bike,
    > > I'm thinking of getting a trainer for the winter.

    (QsipC replied):
    > Since you are getting back into cycling, nothing like a stationary
    > trainer to sour you on riding again..get some rollers. Simple, makes
    > the time go faster, makes you a better rider.

    My membership at the YMCA includes Spin classes. Population: female.
    And a lot more like riding in a group on the road, which makes the time
    fly, in complete contrast to solo trainer drudgery at home. Plus lots
    of other exercise options incl. sauna, steam, pools.

    Rollers might be a challenge for some (speaking personally) but IMHO
    are wonderfully worth whatever it takes to master them.

    Less total physical workout is possible with rollers compared to a
    trainer since you can ride a trainer without much regard for balance,
    but rollers are a tool that can be used to improve technique-- control,
    balance, riding in the proverbial "straight line".

    There are many who could benefit. Am I lying?

    Cyclops Mag, with a front tire block. --D-y

  4. > Having gotten back into biking this past summer, and getting a new bike,
    > I'm thinking of getting a trainer for the winter.
    >
    > Nashbar has them on sale - ie. a Fluid Trainer NB-FT6 that's regularly
    > $209, now on sale for $99.
    >
    > Is it any good? Is there some other brand/model that's better for the
    > price? I can prob go as high as $150 for one.
    >
    > Looking for one that works well and doesn't fall apart.

    A less-exotic Mag trainer will probably last and work quite a bit better
    than a cheapie fluid unit. You might check out the Graber units for
    something not too expensive and *very* reliable (with great customer service
    if anything wears out or breaks). The Blackburns are also known for their
    durability and customer service.

    As Peter pointed out, rollers might be an option as well. For some of us,
    rollers maintain the thrill (actually, they're a lot *more* thrilling... too
    much so for some!) of actually riding on the road. For others (like myself),
    our motto is "Death before riding indoors." Yes, you end up with some epic,
    memorable rides that way. But I'll concede that I live in an area that
    rarely gets below 35 degrees on a winter morning. Your mileage may vary.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  5. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > Pete Derkowski wrote:
    >> Having gotten back into biking this past summer, and getting a new bike,
    >> I'm thinking of getting a trainer for the winter.
    >>
    >> Nashbar has them on sale - ie. a Fluid Trainer NB-FT6 that's regularly $209,
    >> now on sale for $99.
    >>
    >> Is it any good? Is there some other brand/model that's better for the
    >> price? I can prob go as high as $150 for one.
    >>
    >> Looking for one that works well and doesn't fall apart.
    >>
    >> Pete

    > Since you are getting back into cycling, nothing like a stationary
    > trainer to sour you on riding again..get some rollers. Simple, makes
    > the time go faster, makes you a better rider.

    Couldn't agree more and rollers feel the most like one is actually
    riding a bike.

    Greg

    --
    "All my time I spent in heaven
    Revelries of dance and wine

  6. [email protected] wrote in news:1163775209.471078.3550
    @k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Less total physical workout is possible with rollers compared to a
    > trainer since you can ride a trainer without much regard for balance,
    > but rollers are a tool that can be used to improve technique-- control,
    > balance, riding in the proverbial "straight line".

    I would think that the need to maintain balance and control leads to a
    greater total workout on rollers than on a trainer. Just as free weights
    are a more total workout than the various weight machines at the gym.

    Of course, I do agree that the spin classes at the local YMCA are a much
    more pleasant workout environment than training at home. (I'm also usually
    the only guy in the class. <grin>)

    Cheers,
    David

  7. Rollers... vs Trainers... what's a roller? Man, I need to check around
    on the web and see what these things are... I don't know nuthin'....

    I take it a roller is just a rolling pin type of thing on which the rear
    wheel sits and you need to keep it all balanced and going or you'll fall
    off....

    And of Trainers, Mags (magnet?) are better than fluid... yes?

    Pete

    "Pete Derkowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Having gotten back into biking this past summer, and getting a new bike,
    > I'm thinking of getting a trainer for the winter.
    >
    > Nashbar has them on sale - ie. a Fluid Trainer NB-FT6 that's regularly
    > $209, now on sale for $99.
    >
    > Is it any good? Is there some other brand/model that's better for the
    > price? I can prob go as high as $150 for one.
    >
    > Looking for one that works well and doesn't fall apart.
    >
    > Pete

  8. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    Pete Derkowski wrote:
    > Rollers... vs Trainers... what's a roller? Man, I need to check around
    > on the web and see what these things are... I don't know nuthin'....
    >
    > I take it a roller is just a rolling pin type of thing on which the rear
    > wheel sits and you need to keep it all balanced and going or you'll fall
    > off....
    >
    > And of Trainers, Mags (magnet?) are better than fluid... yes?
    >
    > Pete

    Well, they'll never leak. Open one up, dead simple, an aluminum plate
    spinning between refrigerator magnets.

  9. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Pete Derkowski wrote:
    > > Rollers... vs Trainers... what's a roller? Man, I need to check

    around
    > > on the web and see what these things are... I don't know nuthin'....
    > >
    > > I take it a roller is just a rolling pin type of thing on which the rear
    > > wheel sits and you need to keep it all balanced and going or you'll fall
    > > off....
    > >
    > > And of Trainers, Mags (magnet?) are better than fluid... yes?
    > >
    > > Pete
    > >

    > Well, they'll never leak. Open one up, dead simple, an aluminum plate
    > spinning between refrigerator magnets.

    Aluminum?

    Greg

  10. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    G.T. wrote:
    > "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Pete Derkowski wrote:
    >>> Rollers... vs Trainers... what's a roller? Man, I need to check

    > around
    >>> on the web and see what these things are... I don't know nuthin'....
    >>>
    >>> I take it a roller is just a rolling pin type of thing on which the rear
    >>> wheel sits and you need to keep it all balanced and going or you'll fall
    >>> off....
    >>>
    >>> And of Trainers, Mags (magnet?) are better than fluid... yes?
    >>>
    >>> Pete
    >>>

    >> Well, they'll never leak. Open one up, dead simple, an aluminum plate
    >> spinning between refrigerator magnets.

    > Aluminum?
    >
    > Greg

    Aluminium, if you like.

  11. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]
    > G.T. wrote:
    > > "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > > around

    rear

    fall

    > >> Well, they'll never leak. Open one up, dead simple, an aluminum plate
    > >> spinning between refrigerator magnets.

    > > Aluminum?
    > >
    > > Greg
    > >

    > Aluminium, if you like.

    Spelled either way I didn't think it was used in magnetic applications?

    Greg

  12. "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:D[email protected]
    >> G.T. wrote:
    >> > "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> > news:[email protected]
    >> > around

    > rear

    > fall

    >> > Aluminum?
    >> >
    >> > Greg
    >> >

    >> Aluminium, if you like.

    > Spelled either way I didn't think it was used in magnetic applications?
    >
    > Greg

    Eddy currents (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_currents) can be
    induced in any electrical conductor. Copper would work fine, too, but is
    more expensive. A good demonstrator can be made with a piece of (copper or
    aluminum) tubing and a rare-earth magnet that fits inside it. The magnet
    will fall quite slowly down the tube.
    Kerry

  13. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "KERRY MONTGOMERY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:D[email protected]

    nuthin'....

    > > rear

    > > fall

    plate

    > >> Aluminium, if you like.

    > > Spelled either way I didn't think it was used in magnetic applications?
    > >

    > Eddy currents (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_currents) can be
    > induced in any electrical conductor. Copper would work fine, too, but is
    > more expensive. A good demonstrator can be made with a piece of (copper

    or
    > aluminum) tubing and a rare-earth magnet that fits inside it. The magnet
    > will fall quite slowly down the tube.

    Ah, that's the kind of information I was looking for in a roundabout way.

    Greg

  14. Pete Derkowski wrote:
    > Rollers... vs Trainers... what's a roller? Man, I need to check around
    > on the web and see what these things are... I don't know nuthin'....
    >
    > I take it a roller is just a rolling pin type of thing on which the rear
    > wheel sits and you need to keep it all balanced and going or you'll fall
    > off....
    >
    > And of Trainers, Mags (magnet?) are better than fluid... yes?
    >
    > Pete
    >

    > "Pete Derkowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Having gotten back into biking this past summer, and getting a new bike,
    > > I'm thinking of getting a trainer for the winter.
    > >
    > > Nashbar has them on sale - ie. a Fluid Trainer NB-FT6 that's regularly
    > > $209, now on sale for $99.
    > >
    > > Is it any good? Is there some other brand/model that's better for the
    > > price? I can prob go as high as $150 for one.
    > >
    > > Looking for one that works well and doesn't fall apart.
    > >
    > > Pete

    Rollers are a setup with 2 'rollers' in the back for the rear wheel and
    one in front for the front wheel. big rubber band connecting the middle
    one and the front one. Rotation of the wheels keep ya upright, need
    some balance to ride but no more than a normal bike. Makes ya ride in
    straight linesand pedal in 'circles'. Concentration required makes time
    go quickly, resistence is there and can be increased far more than you
    need with just the bicycle gearing. Is not boring and it doesn't kill
    your bike or tires..the WAT to train in winter.

    http://www.kreitler.com/

    http://www.saris.com/c-7-rollers.aspx?skinid=2

  15. bitwisebob

    bitwisebob Guest

    On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 13:19:48 GMT, "Pete Derkowski"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Having gotten back into biking this past summer, and getting a new bike,
    >I'm thinking of getting a trainer for the winter.
    >
    >Looking for one that works well and doesn't fall apart.

    Kinetic Road Fluid Trainer
    http://www.kurtkinetic.com/roadmachine.php

    google it; gets good reviews, well made, strong, works, adjustable,
    it's the one I am considering right now

    REI has them for $299
    http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...51&parent_category_rn=4500928&vcat=REI_SEARCH
    free shipping if you use store pickup, if you have REI nearby...

    rollers, I would fall off, no thanks for now

    ---
    Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    Eugene Oregon

  16. bitwisebob

    bitwisebob Guest

    On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:47:58 -0800, bitwisebob <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >REI has them for $299

    REI has them at sale price, $229, better yet

    ---
    Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    Eugene Oregon

  17. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "bitwisebob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > rollers, I would fall off, no thanks for now

    If you fall off the rollers by riding to the side or over the front roller,
    no problem. If you fall off your bike at the same time then possible damage
    to bike and body depends on your surroundings. Lately I've been riding next
    to a 50 year old untempered sliding glass window. Probably not the safest
    place.

    Greg

  18. On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:32:35 -0800, "G.T." <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"bitwisebob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> rollers, I would fall off, no thanks for now
    >>

    >If you fall off the rollers by riding to the side or over the front roller,
    >no problem. If you fall off your bike at the same time then possible damage
    >to bike and body depends on your surroundings. Lately I've been riding next
    >to a 50 year old untempered sliding glass window. Probably not the safest
    >place.
    >
    >Greg

    Dear Greg,

    There you are on your rollers, a cup of boiling coffee in each hand,
    no exposed cables to seize on your handlebars because it's a fixie
    without any brakes . . .

    Suddenly an unhelmeted squirrel uses a goathead as a glass-cutter to
    burst through that ancient window to get at you!

    Oh, the humanity!

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  19. Marcus Coles

    Marcus Coles Guest

    G.T. wrote:
    > "bitwisebob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> rollers, I would fall off, no thanks for now
    >>

    > If you fall off the rollers by riding to the side or over the front roller,
    > no problem. If you fall off your bike at the same time then possible damage
    > to bike and body depends on your surroundings. Lately I've been riding next
    > to a 50 year old untempered sliding glass window. Probably not the safest
    > place.
    >
    > Greg

    Don't get into any heated political discussions while riding rollers.
    A couple of years ago I gained some nasty bruises and lost a coffee
    table. I rode off the side and fell over while watching a political
    debate on the TV and carrying on a conversation with someone of
    diametrically opposing views.

    Luckily it wasn't a glass coffee table.

    We had a good laugh, turned off the TV and switched to darts and beer.

    Marcus

  20. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "Marcus Coles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > G.T. wrote:
    > > "bitwisebob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >> rollers, I would fall off, no thanks for now
    > >>

    > > If you fall off the rollers by riding to the side or over the front

    roller,
    > > no problem. If you fall off your bike at the same time then possible

    damage
    > > to bike and body depends on your surroundings. Lately I've been riding

    next
    > > to a 50 year old untempered sliding glass window. Probably not the

    safest
    > > place.
    > >

    > Don't get into any heated political discussions while riding rollers.
    > A couple of years ago I gained some nasty bruises and lost a coffee
    > table. I rode off the side and fell over while watching a political
    > debate on the TV and carrying on a conversation with someone of
    > diametrically opposing views.

    I tried watching TV once, never again. I guess I'm what you call an active
    TV watcher, as in I move around alot while I watch. Basically now I just
    listen to music and read every once in awhile.

    Greg