What's a good trainer to get

Solvang Cyclist wrote:
([email protected] wrote):

> > Less total physical workout is possible with rollers compared to a
> > trainer since you can ride a trainer without much regard for balance,
> > but rollers are a tool that can be used to improve technique-- control,
> > balance, riding in the proverbial "straight line".

(SC replied):

> I would think that the need to maintain balance and control leads to a
> greater total workout on rollers than on a trainer. Just as free weights
> are a more total workout than the various weight machines at the gym.

You can bury yourself on a trainer well past the point where you'd fall
off rollers, IME. What that means to an individual, IRT trainer
happiness is... individual.

Frankly, I suggest rollers from a totally non-altruistic stance-- "go
to work on Monday", we used to call it. But, learning to be a good
roller rider can be an enjoyable challenge, with rewarding return.

I used both rollers and trainer when I lived in the GFN. Sometimes, I
just wanted to zone out and crank (trainer). Sometimes, it was fun and
games on the rollers (no-hands, fooling around with shirts, phone
calls, cadence drills, etc.) I thought of it as trainer for power,
rollers for skill and "application".

Thanks for your comments IRT the Y. Sometimes I feel like a lone light
in the wilderness... --D-y

Here is a vote for a fluid trainer over rollers. I have both and the rollers are sitting in the corner collecting dust. The Nashbar branded fluid trainers are actually rebadged Elite units (as are those from Performance) and are quite good value for the money. I have the one that has the 5 position resistance adjuster and it has performed well for 2+ years.

Magnetic units have a less realistic road feel compared with fluid. The centrifugal clutch units (1up usa and Blackburn Ultra) are supposed to be quite good and are very quiet, but will set you back around $300.

jmoryl wrote:
> Here is a vote for a fluid trainer over rollers. I have both and the
> rollers are sitting in the corner collecting dust. The Nashbar branded
> fluid trainers are actually rebadged Elite units (as are those from
> Performance) and are quite good value for the money. I have the one
> that has the 5 position resistance adjuster and it has performed well
> for 2+ years.
>
> Magnetic units have a less realistic road feel compared with fluid. The
> centrifugal clutch units (1up usa and Blackburn Ultra) are supposed to
> be quite good and are very quiet, but will set you back around $300.
>

> --
> jmoryl

Other than implying that you like dust on things you don't use, why
trainer rather than rollers?

news:[email protected]...

Has all alumin ytainer http://www.1upusa.com/

Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
Other than implying that you like dust on things you don't use, why
trainer rather than rollers?
If you'd like to come over and dust all the stuff in my storage room you are welcome! As someone pointed out above, I find it easier to get a really good workout on the fluid trainer: it is easier to just get into a really high output interval without thinking about falling off the thing. I'm too old to be worried about working on my spinning or form; just want to keep off the excess baggage and keep resonably fit until the good weather comes back.

a wise poster once pointed out that the best kind of trainer
to get is someone else's. no cash outlay, and when you get
bored or tired of it in a month you can give it back so that
it won't take up any room in your closet.