What's a reasonable price?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by David Phaneuf, Jun 1, 2003.

  1. I'm new into biking...and loving it! But the old worn out 3 speed racer I have is a real pain on my
    back (no cliche here) as well as my butt! LOL

    I want to do bike paths/distance riding to get in shape, but not sure what's the best kind of bike
    to buy, and what is a reasonable price range.

    Dave

    Tags:

  2. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "David Phaneuf" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm new into biking...and loving it! But the old worn out 3 speed racer I have is a real pain on
    > my back (no cliche here) as well as my butt! LOL
    >
    > I want to do bike paths/distance riding to get in shape, but not sure
    what's
    > the best kind of bike to buy, and what is a reasonable price range.

    A decent bike will start at around $300 and could cost $5000 if you went top of the line everything.
    From the type of riding you describe, it sounds like a hybrid is in order. I strongly recommend
    going to an LBS (Local Bike Shop) rather than a Wal-Mart, etc.

  3. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "David Phaneuf" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm new into biking...and loving it! But the old worn out 3 speed racer I have is a real pain on
    > > my back (no cliche here) as well as my butt! LOL
    > >
    > > I want to do bike paths/distance riding to get in shape, but not sure
    > what's
    > > the best kind of bike to buy, and what is a reasonable price range.
    > >

    > A decent bike will start at around $300 and could cost $5000 if you went top of the line
    > everything. From the type of riding you describe, it sounds like a hybrid is in order. I strongly
    > recommend going to an LBS (Local Bike Shop) rather than a Wal-Mart, etc.

    Alot of manufacturers are marketing bikes that are basically road bike frames with flat bars. Marin
    has a line called the ALPS, and there are three bikes in this series, starting from $599 up to
    $1100. Giant has a great bike, also $599, called the Cypress SX.

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    "David Phaneuf" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm new into biking...and loving it! But the old worn out 3 speed racer I have is a real pain on
    > my back (no cliche here) as well as my butt! LOL
    >
    > I want to do bike paths/distance riding to get in shape, but not sure what's the best kind of bike
    > to buy, and what is a reasonable price range.
    >
    > Dave

    Well, for one thing, if you're riding bike paths and roads ("distance"?) you'll be better off asking
    this question in rec.bicycles.misc.

    For another, the reasonable price range for bikes that will do what you want is $0-$2000. Seriously.
    I own two road bikes: one is a racy Pinarello that I bought for about C$550, and it works great for
    short commutes and training/racing. The other is a Mikado touring bike that is marvelous to ride,
    one of those bikes that just makes you want to spin the cranks forever. I don't know why. But I got
    that bike for $10 from a garage sale, and have put about C$100-200 in upgrades onto it. With the
    right fit and adjustments, maybe even your 3-speed will be adequate.

    For bike-path riding where back and butt pain is an issue, the best advice I can give you is to go
    to a bicycle shop that sells road bikes ("10-speeds") and hybrid/comfort bikes and ask them to fit
    you properly. They will get you onto a bicycle that will not hurt you.

    As for the pain in the butt, that's a seat issue. Seats are a highly individual thing, and the best
    advice is to try a bunch. Hard can be better than soft for many people: I had to switch soft seats
    for very narrow, hard seats on two of my bikes (the barely-padded Selle Italia Nitrox just happens
    to work really well for my butt). You actually do your sitting on your ischial tuberosities, aka sit
    bones. Find out where in your butt they are, and how far apart, and you're most of the way to
    finding a good seat.

  5. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "David Phaneuf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm new into biking...and loving it! But the old worn out 3 speed racer I have is a real pain on
    > my back (no cliche here) as well as my butt! LOL
    >
    > I want to do bike paths/distance riding to get in shape, but not sure what's the best kind of bike
    > to buy, and what is a reasonable price range.

    Get a comfortable saddle and different handlebars for your 3-speed. Pavement needs no more
    than that. I am in the middle of restoring a 1978 Schwinn Speedster 3-speed and it's going to
    be my commuter.

    JD

  6. Supercycles rule!

    Make sure you buy a red one, with a nice kickstand ;-)

    "David Phaneuf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm new into biking...and loving it! But the old worn out 3 speed racer I have is a real pain on
    > my back (no cliche here) as well as my butt! LOL
    >
    > I want to do bike paths/distance riding to get in shape, but not sure
    what's
    > the best kind of bike to buy, and what is a reasonable price range.
    >
    > Dave

  7. Thanks to all for your helpful information.