What's Allowed in the NG?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Flatliner, Jun 7, 2003.

  1. Flatliner

    Flatliner Guest

    I'm new to newsgroups... but I hear that some allow ads and some don't. How do I find out what is
    allowed on this newsgroup? I'd like to be able to promote some things, but don't want to violate
    any rules.

    Tags:

  2. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

  3. Flatliner

    Flatliner Guest

    Thank you John. If you could also refer me to how to locate that kind of information upon entering a
    NG, it would be very helpful

    I appreciate your reply.

    -Dave

    "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:JBxEa.61962$%[email protected]...
    > "Flatliner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm new to newsgroups... but I hear that some allow ads and some don't.
    > How
    > > do I find out what is allowed on this newsgroup? I'd like to be able to promote some things, but
    > > don't want to violate any rules.
    >
    > FAQ: http://home.t-online.de/home/jharris/ambfaq.htm
    >
    > Read sections [1-1] through [1-3] and especially section [6].
    >
    > -John Morgan

  4. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Flatliner thoughtfully penned:
    > I'm new to newsgroups... but I hear that some allow ads and some don't. How do I find out what is
    > allowed on this newsgroup? I'd like to be able to promote some things, but don't want to violate
    > any rules.

    do a search on newsgroup nettiquette.

    Ads really piss people off in non-commercial groups and are not welcome. Any group that is not a
    marketplace group is non-commercial. Ads are considered private and commercial for sales, auction
    notices, look at my webstie posts etc.

    If you want to hang around and participate as a rider , you'll get a sense of what is welcome
    here... and showing up only to advertise and/or promote is generally not.

    Penny

  5. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    "Flatliner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thank you John. If you could also refer me to how to locate that kind of information upon entering
    > a NG, it would be very helpful
    >
    > I appreciate your reply.
    >
    > -Dave

    > > > I'm new to newsgroups... but I hear that some allow ads and some
    don't.
    > > How
    > > > do I find out what is allowed on this newsgroup? I'd like to be able
    > > > promote some things, but don't want to violate any rules.
    > >
    > > FAQ: http://home.t-online.de/home/jharris/ambfaq.htm
    > >
    > > Read sections [1-1] through [1-3] and especially section [6].
    > >
    > > -John Morgan

    Dave, re-read section [1-3] #2. When you're done with that, take your pick of these:

    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/

    Enjoy!

    -John Morgan

  6. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Flatliner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thank you John. If you could also refer me to how to locate that kind of information upon entering
    > a NG, it would be very helpful
    >
    > I appreciate your reply.

    In brief, just post with the subject as " Req: FAQ please" and you'll be given an answer. In 99% of
    groups _any_ advertising is referred to as spam and posting it is seriously frowned upon. Very few
    people will like you for doing it. If you want to advertise, use the TV and radio, not newsgroups.
    --
    Westie

  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > Flatliner thoughtfully penned:
    > > I'm new to newsgroups... but I hear that some allow ads and some don't. How do I find out what
    > > is allowed on this newsgroup? I'd like to be able to promote some things, but don't want to
    > > violate any rules.
    >
    > do a search on newsgroup nettiquette.
    >
    > Ads really piss people off in non-commercial groups and are not welcome. Any group that is not a
    > marketplace group is non-commercial. Ads are considered private and commercial for sales, auction
    > notices, look at my webstie posts etc.
    >
    > If you want to hang around and participate as a rider , you'll get a sense of what is welcome
    > here... and showing up only to advertise and/or promote is generally not.
    >
    > Penny

    ooops!...sorry, (Different) Dave.

  8. You can liken this NG to the "Wild West" of MTB chatter.

    --
    Rex O'Herlihan

  9. Dave

    Dave Guest

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Not much - things that aren't allowed:

    You, you are not allowed in this NG.

    No farting after 12:00 p.m.

    Custard.

    Kite flying.

    Stuff allowed:

    Hardcore pictures of women.

    Frame captures from snuff movies.

    Insulting of the most respected posters.

    Bragging/lying.

    Upsetting of women.

    Posting of people's personal details.

    Cheese.

    HTH - HAND.

    Shaun aRe

  11. Shaun R says:

    >Not much - things that aren't allowed:

    <snip list of things Shaun NEVER does>

    >Stuff allowed:

    <snip list of things Shaun does ALL THE TIME!!>

    That was easy, wasn't it?

    I know, I know - WTF _was_ it?

    Good question.

    Steve

  12. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    > Stuff allowed:
    >
    > Hardcore pictures of women.

    Where's your link?

    > Frame captures from snuff movies.
    >
    > Insulting of the most respected posters.

    There are no respected posters in this newsgroup.

    > Bragging/lying.

    Not only allowed, this is required.

    > Upsetting of women.

    Also required.

    > Posting of people's personal details. Cheese.

    Depends on type of cheese I believe, talk to the moderator.

    -- The Ogre

  13. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun R says:
    >
    > >Not much - things that aren't allowed:
    >
    > <snip list of things Shaun NEVER does>
    >
    > >Stuff allowed:
    >
    > <snip list of things Shaun does ALL THE TIME!!>
    >
    > That was easy, wasn't it?
    >
    > I know, I know - WTF _was_ it?
    >
    > Good question.
    >
    > Steve

    You have been dissimilated - go cry in your cornflakes.

    Shaun aRe

  14. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    The Ogre <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Stuff allowed:
    > >
    > > Hardcore pictures of women.
    >
    > Where's your link?

    All ties are severed - I stand alone in the great void, revolving, spinning, creating amidst the
    chaos or origin.

    > > Frame captures from snuff movies.
    > >
    > > Insulting of the most respected posters.
    >
    > There are no respected posters in this newsgroup.

    You have no self respect then.

    > > Bragging/lying.
    >
    > Not only allowed, this is required.
    >
    > > Upsetting of women.
    >
    > Also required.
    >
    > > Posting of people's personal details. Cheese.
    >
    > Depends on type of cheese I believe, talk to the moderator.

    I am currently enjoying a nice selection of rather fine, well matured un-pasturised brie-type
    cheeses, bought directly from some French people that came from France to sell me cheese. It smells
    of rotting flesh and rancid foot sweat, but tastes like heaven should on a good day.

    Shaun aRe - There can be no moderator while passions rule.

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun R says:
    >
    > >You have been dissimilated - go cry in your cornflakes.
    >
    > Will Special K do?

    Only if yer a chick.

    Shaun aRe

  16. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun says:
    >
    > >> Will Special K do?
    > >
    > >Only if yer a chick.