What's an old Pinarello Worth?

chinook9

Jan 28, 2005
In the late 70s I did a lot of cycling and at that time purchased a Pinarello Mod Triathalon. The bike came with original Campy Chorus componentry and sew-up tires. I haven't ridden it for more than 15 years. The decals have pealed quite a bit and the paint has pealed off just under the seat but the rest of the bike is in good shape. I also have a new set of decals for the bike, assuming I can find them. I don't know if this is unique, but this bike is fully chrome plated under the red paint.

I have now retired and moved from Virginia to Colorado where the hills require much different gearing, and the "goat heads" pretty much preclude the use of sew-ups. I am thinking of buying a new bike and the guy at the local bike store said I could sell the Pinarello and buy a pretty good bike with the proceeds. Does anyone have any idea how much this bike is worth.

I would appreciate any input that could help me decide what to do.

chinook9 said:
In the late 70s I did a lot of cycling and at that time purchased a Pinarello Mod Triathalon. The bike came with original Campy Chorus componentry and sew-up tires. I haven't ridden it for more than 15 years. The decals have pealed quite a bit and the paint has pealed off just under the seat but the rest of the bike is in good shape. I also have a new set of decals for the bike, assuming I can find them. I don't know if this is unique, but this bike is fully chrome plated under the red paint.

I have now retired and moved from Virginia to Colorado where the hills require much different gearing, and the "goat heads" pretty much preclude the use of sew-ups. I am thinking of buying a new bike and the guy at the local bike store said I could sell the Pinarello and buy a pretty good bike with the proceeds. Does anyone have any idea how much this bike is worth.

I'd see if the LBS will give you a couple hundred trade-in on the new bike, or if they know of any vintage collectors out there. Other than that, would just hang onto it for sentimental reasons. The old bikes don't take up much space, and it's fun to get them out every now and then.

chinook9 said:
I am thinking of buying a new bike and the guy at the local bike store said I could sell the Pinarello and buy a pretty good bike with the proceeds. Does anyone have any idea how much this bike is worth.

I guess that depends on the morons definition of good. New list from LBS starts at about $600 for bottom of the barrel.

are you sure it's chorus? that group was not introduced until '87 or so.

chinook9 said:

in any case i agree with the above response: put it on ebay. that is THE market for vintage bikes. they'll decide what it's worth. just make sure you're accurate on the description, or you may get yourself in trouble..

chinook9 said:

chinook9 said:

I have a 91 Pinarello that I would never sell. As an old steel frame with 105 components, I'm not sure that I could get more than a few hundred for it. It looks great next to my '02 and '04 Pinarello's and occasionally I take it out for a spin. It's still a pleasure to ride.
:cool:

ishiwata said:
are you sure it's chorus? that group was not introduced until '87 or so.
Yes, I'm sure its Chorus. That's what I was told when I bought the bike in 78-79. Its all Campy and I expect that Chorus was Campy's bottom of the line at that time.

chinook9 said:
Yes, I'm sure its Chorus. That's what I was told when I bought the bike in 78-79. Its all Campy and I expect that Chorus was Campy's bottom of the line at that time.
LOL..... :rolleyes:

boudreaux said:
The only Campagnolo I can recall from those dark ages is Nuevo Record. Never owned it, but it was sure the dream of many of us Simplex-shifting peasants back then.

chinook9 said:

i don't think so. chorus is a high-end group and has been since it was introduced. i can't see why they would take a low-end tradename and turn it into a high-end one. that would be really bad marketing.

http://www.campyonly.com/history/timeline.html (see 1987)

if you can, take some pictures of the crankset, derailleurs, brake calipers and levers, and hubs, and post them to a campy forum and ask some experts what model they are.

Hi,

Late seventies... old?! Maybe a nice moment to attent you all on this site:

http://www.parcociclisticodelchianti.it/indeng.htm

A competition with real old fashioned bikes. The only one in the world to my knowledge. Beautiful pix ehh? I have a very old original Eddy Merckx/ Record/ Mavic hubs & wheels/ vito tubes professional competition bike and I love it.

B.