    and others say HIIT, high intensity interval training. I used to be a
    50mpw runner and am now lucky to get 5mpw in.. I've since started
    resistance training, gained about 40lbs (at 9.8% bodyfat). I want to
    get rid of the pudge around the middle that just refuses to go away.
    Everywhere else I look pretty lean. I have veins that come out on my
    calves, shoulders, etc.
    thanks

    Tags:

  2. On 2004-10-13, pogo <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I've read conflicting information. Some say LSD, long slow distance
    > and others say HIIT, high intensity interval training. I used to be a
    > 50mpw runner and am now lucky to get 5mpw in.. I've since started
    > resistance training, gained about 40lbs (at 9.8% bodyfat). I want to
    > get rid of the pudge around the middle that just refuses to go away.
    > Everywhere else I look pretty lean. I have veins that come out on my
    > calves, shoulders, etc.

    The HIIT crowd know f*ck all about running -- they're thinking purely in
    terms of reducing skinfold measurements, but don't consider big picture
    issues like overtraining, injury, etc. There is an article on the web that
    dumbass Shawn Phillips wrote for some stupid bodybuilding mag, the problem
    is that the article makes it clear that he not only knows very little about
    running, but he most probably hasn't even attempted his own prescribed
    workout.

    So instead of following the latest fad and doing workouts that were designed
    by people who don't know what they're talking about, I'd suggest following
    a *running* program that is written by *runners* who know something about
    *running*.

    Just increasing your milage will help get rid of the spare tire.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  3. pogo <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've read conflicting information. Some say LSD, long slow distance
    > and others say HIIT, high intensity interval training.

    Assuming you are doing enough either would work. If you choose HIIT use an
    exercise other than running. LSD is more likely to sabatoge the gains you've
    made through resistance training.

    > I used to be a
    > 50mpw runner and am now lucky to get 5mpw in.. I've since started
    > resistance training, gained about 40lbs (at 9.8% bodyfat).

    How was this measured?

    > I want to
    > get rid of the pudge around the middle that just refuses to go away.
    > Everywhere else I look pretty lean. I have veins that come out on my
    > calves, shoulders, etc.
    > thanks

    You may need to reduce calories as well.

  4. Lyndon

    Lyndon Guest

    >I've read conflicting information. Some say LSD, long slow distance
    >and others say HIIT, high intensity interval training. I used to be a
    >50mpw runner and am now lucky to get 5mpw in.. I've since started
    >resistance training, gained about 40lbs (at 9.8% bodyfat). I want to
    >get rid of the pudge around the middle that just refuses to go away.
    >Everywhere else I look pretty lean. I have veins that come out on my
    >calves, shoulders, etc.
    >thanks

    I use HIIT on the track, but for performance, not weight loss. It does work
    for running performance if you use very high intensity (Saif Saaeed Shaheen,
    who recently set the WR in the steeple uses it--I have his logs from last
    year--and Nick Willis also uses it for some of his training). HIIT does not
    seem to work for weight loss. The catch is that, while HIIT is very efficient
    in terms of what you get back from the time you put it, you can't get in enough
    volume to burn enough calories for weight loss. The HIIT routines that work
    also have to be run all-out (or close to it) and you need good-to-perfect
    biomechanics to handle this.

    Most people will be better off with steady state runs (80-85% MHR) for 30-60
    minutes 2-4 times a week.

    Lyndon
    "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach
    Brooks Johnson

  5. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "pogo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've read conflicting information. Some say LSD, long slow distance
    > and others say HIIT, high intensity interval training. I used to be a
    > 50mpw runner and am now lucky to get 5mpw in.. I've since started
    > resistance training, gained about 40lbs (at 9.8% bodyfat). I want to
    > get rid of the pudge around the middle that just refuses to go away.
    > Everywhere else I look pretty lean. I have veins that come out on my
    > calves, shoulders, etc.
    > thanks

    At this point, just start doing something. Run easy, get back into the
    habit of running. Once you have an aerobic base and some fitness, then you
    can consider adding some higher intensity running.
    Starting out running high intensity stuff is a mistake on many levels, IMHO.