I've read conflicting information. Some say LSD, long slow distance
and others say HIIT, high intensity interval training. I used to be a
50mpw runner and am now lucky to get 5mpw in.. I've since started
resistance training, gained about 40lbs (at 9.8% bodyfat). I want to
get rid of the pudge around the middle that just refuses to go away.
Everywhere else I look pretty lean. I have veins that come out on my
calves, shoulders, etc.
thanks

On 2004-10-13, pogo <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've read conflicting information. Some say LSD, long slow distance
> and others say HIIT, high intensity interval training. I used to be a
> 50mpw runner and am now lucky to get 5mpw in.. I've since started
> resistance training, gained about 40lbs (at 9.8% bodyfat). I want to
> get rid of the pudge around the middle that just refuses to go away.
> Everywhere else I look pretty lean. I have veins that come out on my
> calves, shoulders, etc.

The HIIT crowd know f*ck all about running -- they're thinking purely in
terms of reducing skinfold measurements, but don't consider big picture
issues like overtraining, injury, etc. There is an article on the web that
dumbass Shawn Phillips wrote for some stupid bodybuilding mag, the problem
is that the article makes it clear that he not only knows very little about
running, but he most probably hasn't even attempted his own prescribed
workout.

So instead of following the latest fad and doing workouts that were designed
by people who don't know what they're talking about, I'd suggest following
a *running* program that is written by *runners* who know something about
*running*.

Just increasing your milage will help get rid of the spare tire.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

pogo <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've read conflicting information. Some say LSD, long slow distance
> and others say HIIT, high intensity interval training.

Assuming you are doing enough either would work. If you choose HIIT use an
exercise other than running. LSD is more likely to sabatoge the gains you've
made through resistance training.

> I used to be a
> 50mpw runner and am now lucky to get 5mpw in.. I've since started
> resistance training, gained about 40lbs (at 9.8% bodyfat).

How was this measured?

> I want to
> get rid of the pudge around the middle that just refuses to go away.
> Everywhere else I look pretty lean. I have veins that come out on my
> calves, shoulders, etc.
> thanks

You may need to reduce calories as well.

>I've read conflicting information. Some say LSD, long slow distance
>and others say HIIT, high intensity interval training. I used to be a
>50mpw runner and am now lucky to get 5mpw in.. I've since started
>resistance training, gained about 40lbs (at 9.8% bodyfat). I want to
>get rid of the pudge around the middle that just refuses to go away.
>Everywhere else I look pretty lean. I have veins that come out on my
>calves, shoulders, etc.
>thanks

I use HIIT on the track, but for performance, not weight loss. It does work
for running performance if you use very high intensity (Saif Saaeed Shaheen,
who recently set the WR in the steeple uses it--I have his logs from last
year--and Nick Willis also uses it for some of his training). HIIT does not
seem to work for weight loss. The catch is that, while HIIT is very efficient
in terms of what you get back from the time you put it, you can't get in enough
volume to burn enough calories for weight loss. The HIIT routines that work
also have to be run all-out (or close to it) and you need good-to-perfect
biomechanics to handle this.

Most people will be better off with steady state runs (80-85% MHR) for 30-60
minutes 2-4 times a week.

Lyndon
"Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach
Brooks Johnson

"pogo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've read conflicting information. Some say LSD, long slow distance
> and others say HIIT, high intensity interval training. I used to be a
> 50mpw runner and am now lucky to get 5mpw in.. I've since started
> resistance training, gained about 40lbs (at 9.8% bodyfat). I want to
> get rid of the pudge around the middle that just refuses to go away.
> Everywhere else I look pretty lean. I have veins that come out on my
> calves, shoulders, etc.
> thanks

At this point, just start doing something. Run easy, get back into the
habit of running. Once you have an aerobic base and some fitness, then you
can consider adding some higher intensity running.
Starting out running high intensity stuff is a mistake on many levels, IMHO.