what's considered a moderate hill

billybob1992002

Jan 19, 2005
i am doing a race in 3 weeks and it is a 7.7 mile loop with 2 moderate size hills the race info says and we are doing a total of 5 laps. how steep usually are moderate hills and i have been doing a once a week hill ride of 15 miles that cosists of 5 different hills that start long but not real steep and then get to long and steep and have to get out of the saddle. will this help me

billybob1992002 said:
i am doing a race in 3 weeks and it is a 7.7 mile loop with 2 moderate size hills the race info says and we are doing a total of 5 laps. how steep usually are moderate hills and i have been doing a once a week hill ride of 15 miles that cosists of 5 different hills that start long but not real steep and then get to long and steep and have to get out of the saddle. will this help me
If you have three weeks, you should drive to the race and pre-ride it some weekend. You should have done this in the off season already if the results are important, most races are held repeatedly in the same locations.

"Moderate" could mean that only the first half of your life flashes before your eyes on the way up. If you don't have time to scout it, you can view USGS topo maps here:
terraserver.microsoft.com/

billybob1992002 said:
how steep usually are moderate hills...

I think its between 3-5% grade. But still, your fitness will dictate if you can be comfortable going thru this grade. Good luck!

well it is about 6 hours away so i can't pre ride it b/c it is collegiate so there is no map of it. i am assuming they are not bad b/c it is in a really flat part of texas and have heard that compared to some of the hills here they are nothing but we will see.

You will learn in cycling that moderate is a relative term. Moderate to whom, you, me, Lance. That hill being a moderate hill depends on who wrote your flier. I have been to races where a moderate hill was pretty flat and others where it was pretty steep. Riding the course before you race it will only familiarize you with it from a tactical perspective. It won't help you be in better shape for it.

The best thing to do, especially since you will have to travel to a lot of races where you can't pre-ride the course, is to get in the best shape you can, see the course when you get there, and learn to set your strategy before the start. Most of the pro's don't preride most of the courses they race. They just show up and race because they are in good enough shape to handle whatever you throw at them. That is the right attitude.

What? You say you're not a pro? Well, you won't be racing against pro's either, will you. Get in the best racing shape you can for your category and let your shape and experience take care of it. If you trained right for climbing, you will be able to climb. It works.

billybob1992002 said:
well it is about 6 hours away so i can't pre ride it b/c it is collegiate so there is no map of it. i am assuming they are not bad b/c it is in a really flat part of texas and have heard that compared to some of the hills here they are nothing but we will see.
Where in Texas?

We have gone to a ride in Wichita Falls, TX in August for the last few years and it is pretty darn flat - none of the hills give us much problem. I'm not sure if that will help since you might not be on the same roads, but I think in general the town is just pretty much flat. Oh, and we are not super-fit racer people either. Good luck, I hope you do well!

galaxycycle120 said:
We have gone to a ride in Wichita Falls, TX in August for the last few years and it is pretty darn flat - none of the hills give us much problem. I'm not sure if that will help since you might not be on the same roads, but I think in general the town is just pretty much flat. Oh, and we are not super-fit racer people either. Good luck, I hope you do well!
I was thinking the same. I don't remember any large hills in that area, though it may be possible that there are bluffs by the Red River, though that seemed flat as well. If you had said West Texas or the Hill Country, that would be another story. I live in the Hill Country, and we may not have mountains, but there are some extremely steep and rough hills out here. No Alps, but close enough for me.

i am here in waco and we have some big hills at a place at cameron park. with like 2000 elevation change that is a killer of a 7 mile ride.