What's everyone doing for Bike Month?

In article <jkYWj.5676$GK4.49@trndny01>,
Peter Cole <[email protected]> writes:
> Tom Keats wrote:
>
>> No-helmet fines should go toward putting a cyclists'
>> push-button traffic light @ Prince Edward St & 41st Ave.

> Or a repeal fund.

Gov't money-grabs are never repealed.

Now, my fellow British Columbians are soon to be
inflicted with a so-called "carbon tax" on our
fossil fuel purchases:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=ecea1487-507c-43ef-ab88-5a972898e0b7&k=38130

When we buy coal oil/kerosene and other non-burnt
petrochemicals such as for painting from the hardware
store, we already have to pay a recycling/disposal
premium on those, and that's all right by me.

But watch out -- we British Columbians are the guys who
originally trend-setted MHLs.

It's also not okay to smoke a cigarette near a building
entrance or in a bistro patio, but it /is/ okay to drive
a filthy diesel exhaust-spewing dump truck past it.
Even if it exceeds the posted civic speed limit. Although
those big wobbly clouds of diarrhea-brown diesel exhaust
seem to come mostly from engine-braking (which truck drivers
are politely asked not to do in the city.)

Thus is the People's Republic of British Columbia.

The situation is hopeless but not serious.

cheers,
Tom

--
"Mendacity!"
I'm really at:

In article <[email protected]>,
Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writes:
> On Mon, 12 May 2008 00:53:30 -0700, [email protected] (Tom
> Keats) wrote, in part:
>
>>No-helmet fines should go toward putting a cyclists'
>>push-button traffic light @ Prince Edward St & 41st Ave.

> And at 33rd.

I had a brief moment of apprehensiveness today.
It could've turned into a moment of apprehension.

Riding lid-free along 45th west from Fraser.
I had to haul over to let an ambulance & fire
truck by. Then I came upon a collision scene,
c/w cops, tow truck taking a bashed-in SUV away,
and one of those bike police Brodies parked in
the middle of the street; the behelmeted bike cop
was attempting to direct car traffic (but the effect
was more like herding cats.)

I managed to wend my way through all the CarHead idiocy,
my helmetlessness going unnoticed or disregarded --
this time.

Whew! I was able to continue unscathed to the
Chu Kiang Restaurant @ Knight & 49th for a couple
of take-out orders ofCombination Dinner #2.

I've been letting my hair grow out. Except before
getting longer, it gets fatter and thicker. Maybe
it sorta looks at first glance like a helmet, especially
with the salt-&-pepper colourations of age. Why buy
a helmet when you can grow your own?

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca