What's everyone doing for Bike Month?

news:p[email protected]...
> The Virginia Bicycling Federation wants to know what everyone is doing for
> Bike Month. What does your bike club, organization, company, or local
> government have planned? Announce your event and share your ideas in our
> comments section:
>
> http://www.vabike.org/what-are-you-doing-for-bike-month-2008/

I subscribe to a few Arlington letters and the only thing even remotely
related was this

http://www.arlingtonva.us/Portals/Topics/FitArlingtonSportsFestival.aspx

news:p[email protected]...
> The Virginia Bicycling Federation wants to know what everyone is doing for
> Bike Month. What does your bike club, organization, company, or local
> government have planned? Announce your event and share your ideas in our
> comments section:
>
> http://www.vabike.org/what-are-you-doing-for-bike-month-2008/
>
> Matt O.

I plan to be drunk, face down in a gutter all month.

Next month, I plan to wake up. God willing.

J.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Jay" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>> The Virginia Bicycling Federation wants to know what everyone is doing for
>> Bike Month. What does your bike club, organization, company, or local
>> government have planned? Announce your event and share your ideas in our
>> comments section:
>>
>> http://www.vabike.org/what-are-you-doing-for-bike-month-2008/
>>
>> Matt O.
>>

> I plan to be drunk, face down in a gutter all month.

Don't forget to lock your bike first.
Carry $5 so you don't get busted for vagrancy.
And watch out for those Starvation Army do-gooders --
they'll try to feed you thin soup & stale bread while
making you sing "Shall We Gather by the River" for your
dinner, and then they'll try to dress you in badly
dry-cleaned clothes that somebody else died in.
Chances are you'll hear "Love the sinner, hate the sin"
so much it'll drive you up the wall. Those Starvation
Army do-gooders don't know how to sin artfully.
Clumsy sinning is a Sin.

> Next month, I plan to wake up. God willing.

For me, ~every~ month is Bike Month.

Well, January, maybe not so much.

In Vancouver we have BikeSummer as well as BikeMonth
(June, which is also when the cops are more inclined
to enforce our local MHL.)

But I kinda like the idea of Chicago's BikeWinter.
I respect that Chicagoans have the balls to even
have a BikeWinter.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> In Vancouver we have BikeSummer as well as BikeMonth
> (June, which is also when the cops are more inclined
> to enforce our local MHL.)
>
> But I kinda like the idea of Chicago's BikeWinter.
> I respect that Chicagoans have the balls to even
> have a BikeWinter.
>

> cheers,
> Tom
>
> --
> Nothing is safe from me.
> I'm really at:
> tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

I forgot to mention: I will be wearing my noise-canceling headphones,
listening to Howard Stern on Sirius, while face down in the gutter.

I am so glad Artie Lange is still on the HS Show, I can't tell you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artie_Lange

J.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Jay" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> In Vancouver we have BikeSummer as well as BikeMonth
>> (June, which is also when the cops are more inclined
>> to enforce our local MHL.)
>>
>> But I kinda like the idea of Chicago's BikeWinter.
>> I respect that Chicagoans have the balls to even
>> have a BikeWinter.
>>

>> cheers,
>> Tom
>>
>> --
>> Nothing is safe from me.
>> I'm really at:
>> tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca
>>

> I forgot to mention: I will be wearing my noise-canceling headphones,
> listening to Howard Stern on Sirius, while face down in the gutter.

Personally, I'd be inclined to just wait for good reading material
to blow my way. And I'd try to not roll over on my reading glasses[*].

I guess the gutter is as good a venue as any for
listening to HS.

I listen to George Norrie in the bathroom.

cheers,
Tom

--
"It's not fair! It's not fair!"
-- Burgess Meredith, in one of my fave Twighlight Zone episodes

On Apr 26, 7:54 pm, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>         "Jay" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> Personally, I'd be inclined to just wait for good reading material
> to blow my way.  And I'd try to not roll over on my reading glasses[*].
>
> I guess the gutter is as good a venue as any for
> listening to HS.
>
> I listen to George Norrie in the bathroom.
>
> cheers,
>         Tom
>
> --
> "It's not fair!  It's not fair!"
>         -- Burgess Meredith, in one of my fave Twighlight Zone episodes- Hide quoted text -

HS's current Sirius/On Demand 5-year contract is for $100M yearly.

*Someone* must be listening to him. (Those New Yorkers are such saps.
They will buy any damn thing.)

J.

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 16:38:09 -0700, [email protected] (Tom
Keats) wrote, part:

>In Vancouver we have BikeSummer as well as BikeMonth
>(June, which is also when the cops are more inclined
>to enforce our local MHL.)

Bike Summer is now a movable DIY feast.
http://www.bikesummer.org/2008/main.htm

Vancouver hosted it in June 2001 to correspond with our annual
BikeMonth. Others have been hosted in San Francisco and New York.

>But I kinda like the idea of Chicago's BikeWinter.
>I respect that Chicagoans have the balls to even
>have a BikeWinter.

The ZooBombers in Portland host Mini-bike Winter. Basically a
drunken and bruised weekend of poetry and craziness on 16" wheels.
Portland's winters are way different than Chicago's.
--
zk

"Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>> The Virginia Bicycling Federation wants to know what everyone is
>> doing for
>> Bike Month. What does your bike club, organization, company, or
>> local
>> government have planned? Announce your event and share your ideas
>> in our
>> comments section:
>>
>> http://www.vabike.org/what-are-you-doing-for-bike-month-2008/
>>
>> Matt O.
>>

> I plan to be drunk, face down in a gutter all month.
>
> Next month, I plan to wake up. God willing.

It's bad enough when motorists park in the bike lane, thereby
traumatising all the novices who can't figure out how to pass the
car. But when cyclists do it too ...

Jeremy Parker

In article <[email protected]>,
Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writes:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 16:38:09 -0700, [email protected] (Tom
> Keats) wrote, part:
>
>>In Vancouver we have BikeSummer as well as BikeMonth
>>(June, which is also when the cops are more inclined
>>to enforce our local MHL.)

> Bike Summer is now a movable DIY feast.
> http://www.bikesummer.org/2008/main.htm
>
> Vancouver hosted it in June 2001 to correspond with our annual
> BikeMonth. Others have been hosted in San Francisco and New York.

Of course <me, smacking myself on forehead>.
I helped distribute posters for it.
As I recall, the events included a well-attended
bike bazaar at Stanley Park.

I believe the VACC does pancake breakfasts for
bike commuters during Bike Month.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 12:49:52 -0700, [email protected] (Tom
Keats) wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writes:
>> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 16:38:09 -0700, [email protected] (Tom
>> Keats) wrote, part:
>>
>>>In Vancouver we have BikeSummer as well as BikeMonth
>>>(June, which is also when the cops are more inclined
>>>to enforce our local MHL.)

>> Bike Summer is now a movable DIY feast.
>> http://www.bikesummer.org/2008/main.htm
>>
>> Vancouver hosted it in June 2001 to correspond with our annual
>> BikeMonth. Others have been hosted in San Francisco and New York.

>Of course <me, smacking myself on forehead>.
>I helped distribute posters for it.
>As I recall, the events included a well-attended
>bike bazaar at Stanley Park.
>
>I believe the VACC does pancake breakfasts for
>bike commuters during Bike Month.

I don't think Alistair is doing BikeFest this year. Last year it got
moved from its usual location and then rained on. The bikefest site
gone and it's not listed in Momentum's calendar.

The Car Free day will be spread around six neighbourhoods.
--
zk

In article <[email protected]>,
Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writes:

>>I believe the VACC does pancake breakfasts for
>>bike commuters during Bike Month.
>>

> I don't think Alistair is doing BikeFest this year. Last year it got
> moved from its usual location and then rained on. The bikefest site
> gone and it's not listed in Momentum's calendar.
>
> The Car Free day will be spread around six neighbourhoods.

What this town needs is a /real/ Car Free Day, like
Bogota. Or even better -- street party all along E 1st Ave,
c/w stilt-walkers, jugglers, marching brass bands, smoothies
(mescaline-laced optional,) costumes, displayed artwork,
pedal-powered floats, dominoes tournaments, ice cream cones,
oxygen and everything non-Car. No clowns, though. They'd
just freak-out the mescaline-laced smoothie folks. I kinda
like those balloon thingies that look like tube people, where
blasts of air inflates 'em and makes their tube arms wave
around. They're a nice prop for events.

cheers,
Tom

--
"Going Up the 'Pool"
-- Jethro Tull
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

news:p[email protected]...
> The Virginia Bicycling Federation wants to know what everyone is doing for
> Bike Month. What does your bike club, organization, company, or local
> government have planned?

I plan to buy rounds (shots) for the house in my very favorite Irish bar
until we all pass out in the gutter, face down, and eventually get carted
off to the local crack house, where I will buy rounds for the house...

J.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Tom Keats) writes:

> I believe the VACC does pancake breakfasts for
> bike commuters during Bike Month.

Oops. Maybe I was thinking of Bike To Work Week:
http://www.vacc.bc.ca/index.php?task=btw.main

So many cycling events, it's easy to mix 'em up.

I'm sorely tempted to scare-up a beach bomber, 'n
do the Solstice Ride this upcoming June.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Tom Keats) writes:
>
> > I believe the VACC does pancake breakfasts for
> > bike commuters during Bike Month.

> Oops. Maybe I was thinking of Bike To Work Week:
> http://www.vacc.bc.ca/index.php?task=btw.main
>
> So many cycling events, it's easy to mix 'em up.
>
> I'm sorely tempted to scare-up a beach bomber, 'n
> do the Solstice Ride this upcoming June.
>

> cheers,
> Tom

Thanks for the link. I'm signed up for Bike To Work Week now.

In article <invalid-5FE217.21583910052008@shawnews>,
Ralph Barone <invalid@not_real.ca> writes:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> [email protected] (Tom Keats) writes:
>>
>> > I believe the VACC does pancake breakfasts for
>> > bike commuters during Bike Month.

>> Oops. Maybe I was thinking of Bike To Work Week:
>> http://www.vacc.bc.ca/index.php?task=btw.main
>>
>> So many cycling events, it's easy to mix 'em up.
>>
>> I'm sorely tempted to scare-up a beach bomber, 'n
>> do the Solstice Ride this upcoming June.
>>

>> cheers,
>> Tom

> Thanks for the link. I'm signed up for Bike To Work Week now.

Of all the cycling events, Bike To Work Week really strikes
a chord with me. It gently invites people to not only
recognize, but actually experience bicycling as a viable
means of true, meaningful and practical transportation.

I just might participate, myself, although my route to work
is so far off the well-beaten path (Vancouver -> East Richmond
via the Knight St Bridge) I most likely wouldn't get to
enjoy the supportive way-stations of the VACC, which are
typically set up along bike routes like the Adanac. That's
okay, I usually lone wolf it anyways. Any reluctance on my
part to participate is based on the physically demanding
nature of my work at a logistics/distribution warehouse.
After a tough shift of unloading marine containers full of
imported goods, clawing one's way up the South Hill ain't
exactly a piece o' cake.

I shall nevertheless certainly contribute. Bike To Work Week
spreads a good message that needs to be spread. It doesn't
demand that everybody burns their car to the ground. It just
suggests that for some people blessed with conducive situations
they haven't yet realized, there's a better way to get around.
Then they can decide for themselves to burn their cars to
the ground.

Beautie, eh?

Watch out for Mandatory Helmet Law-enforcing cops.
This is when they crawl out of the woodwork.
Bad boyz, bad boyz, what'ch'a gonna do, what'ch'a
gonna do when they come for you ... ;-)

No-helmet fines should go toward putting a cyclists'
push-button traffic light @ Prince Edward St & 41st Ave.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Jay" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Next month, I plan to wake up. God willing.

> For me, ~every~ month is Bike Month.
>
> Well, January, maybe not so much.

I recently was introduced to a lass who started bike commuting here in
January and has continued up to the present date. Very impressive I
thought personally. It's hard to start in the middle of the worst
season. Far easier to start when the weather is nice and gradually
accumulate wet weather gear.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
It seems a little silly now, but this country was founded as a protest

On Mon, 12 May 2008 00:53:30 -0700, [email protected] (Tom
Keats) wrote, in part:

>No-helmet fines should go toward putting a cyclists'
>push-button traffic light @ Prince Edward St & 41st Ave.

And at 33rd.
--
zk

Tom Keats wrote:

> No-helmet fines should go toward putting a cyclists'
> push-button traffic light @ Prince Edward St & 41st Ave.

Or a repeal fund.