What's everyone doing for Christmas?

Giant Yukon MTB Girl

Guest
OK: JD you're probably riding, right? {But mebbe that's what I'll do
if the snow holds off (which it has, it'll be a green Christmas here I
think)}

Matt, will you run or ski - do you have snow? I guess that will be the
deciding factor for you.

If no snow, I'll go for a ride around the downtown first instead of
driving to my destination. It's eerily quiet on the streets here on
holidays such as Christmas, so very safe where traffic is concerned
until I can reach the trails. I've got my dogs some special rawhides
to enjoy while I'm out, courtesy of "Grandma" back home who sent
everyone cards and a little "something" this year as usual.

I'm tossing the idea around to decorate the home for Christmas or not.
I've got some new furniture recently and have got the place just as I
want it now; if I decorate, it'll be lights up for sure to start. I
may still paint the place, I've got a nice Brick Red shade picked out,
to go nicely with the black leather couch. Since it's four days off in
a row, I could get lots of painting done. I have some girlfriends in
the building now who I now visit regularly and vice versa: I may cook
a turkey or cornish hen or maybe just have some nice Atlantic Salmon
(gotta get those Omega 3's!). I would miss the stuffing though, and a
little gravy.

I'll call my family back home and friends there and abroad. Then
probably watch some movies, It's a Wonderful LIfe, the slightly corny
sappy one with James Stewart, but a tradition nonetheless. Maybe play
Pitfall Harry on the Xbox too. Oh, and I got some nice Pinot Noir from
one of the guys at work, knows I prefer that or Shiraz wines. I'll
enjoy that in between some sips of Brandy Icewine (that stuff is soooo
good). No, I'm not getting drunk and dehydrated. But hey, it's
Christmas, time to celebrate!

Anyone else??

Tomorrow will be the shortest day of the year, then it's longer days!

"The people who mind don't matter and the people that matter don't
mind...."

Giant Yukon MTB Girl wrote:
> OK: JD you're probably riding, right? {But mebbe that's what I'll do
> if the snow holds off (which it has, it'll be a green Christmas here I
> think)}
>

> Tomorrow will be the shortest day of the year, then it's longer days!
>
> "The people who mind don't matter and the people that matter don't
> mind...."

OK, here's the plan so far. This is more detail than the Christmas
letter we never wrote! I've been trying these last few weeks to look
up old friends I'd fallen out of contact with and have some time over a
beer or two with them to look them up and honor the times we shared.
But this Saturday is scheduled for a cold ride in the morning with my
buddy the Kahona, trails are all nicely frozen, the traction is
awesome, days are bright and clear, and perfect for singlespeeding,
followed by domestic indoor obligations, ;) and then probably take the
family out shopping, dinner & probably Eragon at the multiplex. Sunday
morning the wife and I are barristas at our church coffee shop, then
home to fraternize with friends over a big meal, hope to sneak in a
snooze and maybe take the gang to the Y for a good hard workout to
prepare for some power eating we've got planned, then home to open some
presents in front of a roaring fire.

Monday we'll all sleep in a bit, I'll get up early to get the fire
going, we'll have a special breakfast, (my infamous blueberry pancakes
or too-healthy waffles), drive around a bit and deliver some presents
to unsuspecting victims, then back home to start making the big dinner
(I love to cook, and I love to use that dandy knife, Carla..) and have
some single friends over who don't have family near by. Will gather the
gang after dinner to reminisce, raise a glass, enfold each other in
good conversation, games and family times, and then open each present
separately so we can appreciate each other and enjoy the time.

We go to Washington later in the week to celebrate Christmas a few days
late with the wife's family up in wine country when they can all be
together. We'll take my 4wd Toyota to make sure the 3 steenkin mountain
passes are reasonably passable this time of year.... cue the music,
"the things I do for love..." Then we get lost in the Norman Rockwell
country scene for about 5 days and return home just after New Years.

Until then, my friends, raise a glass and join me,

Here's to a good ride, and the next one,
a good life, and a long one,
a happy wife, and a pretty one,
a good beer, and another one.

CDB

Giant Yukon MTB Girl wrote:
> OK: JD you're probably riding, right? {But mebbe that's what I'll do
> if the snow holds off (which it has, it'll be a green Christmas here I
> think)}
>
> Matt, will you run or ski - do you have snow? I guess that will be the
> deciding factor for you.
>
> If no snow, I'll go for a ride around the downtown first instead of
> driving to my destination. It's eerily quiet on the streets here on
> holidays such as Christmas, so very safe where traffic is concerned
> until I can reach the trails. I've got my dogs some special rawhides
> to enjoy while I'm out, courtesy of "Grandma" back home who sent
> everyone cards and a little "something" this year as usual.
>
> I'm tossing the idea around to decorate the home for Christmas or not.
> I've got some new furniture recently and have got the place just as I
> want it now; if I decorate, it'll be lights up for sure to start. I
> may still paint the place, I've got a nice Brick Red shade picked out,
> to go nicely with the black leather couch. Since it's four days off in
> a row, I could get lots of painting done. I have some girlfriends in
> the building now who I now visit regularly and vice versa: I may cook
> a turkey or cornish hen or maybe just have some nice Atlantic Salmon
> (gotta get those Omega 3's!). I would miss the stuffing though, and a
> little gravy.
>
> I'll call my family back home and friends there and abroad. Then
> probably watch some movies, It's a Wonderful LIfe, the slightly corny
> sappy one with James Stewart, but a tradition nonetheless. Maybe play
> Pitfall Harry on the Xbox too. Oh, and I got some nice Pinot Noir from
> one of the guys at work, knows I prefer that or Shiraz wines. I'll
> enjoy that in between some sips of Brandy Icewine (that stuff is soooo
> good). No, I'm not getting drunk and dehydrated. But hey, it's
> Christmas, time to celebrate!
>
> Anyone else??
>

> Tomorrow will be the shortest day of the year, then it's longer days!

Shoveling. Actually a lot of the snow will be melted by then, but the
way it's come down all day ya'd think the next ice age had arrived.
Welcome to the group. Don't let the trolls (or troll feeders) turn you
off. This is a pretty good crowd.
Happy Solstice!

Shawn

P.S. I've never seen a giant mountain biking girl from the Yukon.
Interesting. ;-)

Shawn wrote:
> Giant Yukon MTB Girl wrote:
> > OK: JD you're probably riding, right? {But mebbe that's what I'll do
> > if the snow holds off (which it has, it'll be a green Christmas here I
> > think)}
> >
> > Matt, will you run or ski - do you have snow? I guess that will be the
> > deciding factor for you.
> >
> > If no snow, I'll go for a ride around the downtown first instead of
> > driving to my destination. It's eerily quiet on the streets here on
> > holidays such as Christmas, so very safe where traffic is concerned
> > until I can reach the trails. I've got my dogs some special rawhides
> > to enjoy while I'm out, courtesy of "Grandma" back home who sent
> > everyone cards and a little "something" this year as usual.
> >
> > I'm tossing the idea around to decorate the home for Christmas or not.
> > I've got some new furniture recently and have got the place just as I
> > want it now; if I decorate, it'll be lights up for sure to start. I
> > may still paint the place, I've got a nice Brick Red shade picked out,
> > to go nicely with the black leather couch. Since it's four days off in
> > a row, I could get lots of painting done. I have some girlfriends in
> > the building now who I now visit regularly and vice versa: I may cook
> > a turkey or cornish hen or maybe just have some nice Atlantic Salmon
> > (gotta get those Omega 3's!). I would miss the stuffing though, and a
> > little gravy.
> >
> > I'll call my family back home and friends there and abroad. Then
> > probably watch some movies, It's a Wonderful LIfe, the slightly corny
> > sappy one with James Stewart, but a tradition nonetheless. Maybe play
> > Pitfall Harry on the Xbox too. Oh, and I got some nice Pinot Noir from
> > one of the guys at work, knows I prefer that or Shiraz wines. I'll
> > enjoy that in between some sips of Brandy Icewine (that stuff is soooo
> > good). No, I'm not getting drunk and dehydrated. But hey, it's
> > Christmas, time to celebrate!
> >
> > Anyone else??
> >

> > Tomorrow will be the shortest day of the year, then it's longer days!

> Shoveling. Actually a lot of the snow will be melted by then, but the
> way it's come down all day ya'd think the next ice age had arrived.
> Welcome to the group. Don't let the trolls (or troll feeders) turn you
> off. This is a pretty good crowd.
> Happy Solstice!
>
> Shawn
>
> P.S. I've never seen a giant mountain biking girl from the Yukon.
> Interesting. ;-)

That's gotta be a female Yeti.

hth,
CDB

Giant Yukon MTB Girl wrote:
> OK: JD you're probably riding, right?

If I don't throw my leg over a bike every day, something is terribly
wrong.

JD

On Dec 21, 1:19 am, "JD" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Giant Yukon MTB Girl wrote:
>
> > OK: JD you're probably riding, right?If I don't throw my leg over a bike every day, something is terribly

> wrong.
>
> JD

yeah! thought so!

MTB Girl

JD wrote:
> Giant Yukon MTB Girl wrote:
> > OK: JD you're probably riding, right?

> If I don't throw my leg over a bike every day, something is terribly
> wrong.
>
> JD

Do you sleep with your bike?

Laters,

Marz

Giant Yukon MTB Girl wrote:
> OK: JD you're probably riding, right? {But mebbe that's what I'll do
> if the snow holds off (which it has, it'll be a green Christmas here I
> think)}
>
> Matt, will you run or ski - do you have snow? I guess that will be the
> deciding factor for you.
>
> If no snow, I'll go for a ride around the downtown first instead of
> driving to my destination. It's eerily quiet on the streets here on
> holidays such as Christmas, so very safe where traffic is concerned
> until I can reach the trails. I've got my dogs some special rawhides
> to enjoy while I'm out, courtesy of "Grandma" back home who sent
> everyone cards and a little "something" this year as usual.
>
> I'm tossing the idea around to decorate the home for Christmas or not.
> I've got some new furniture recently and have got the place just as I
> want it now; if I decorate, it'll be lights up for sure to start. I
> may still paint the place, I've got a nice Brick Red shade picked out,
> to go nicely with the black leather couch. Since it's four days off in
> a row, I could get lots of painting done. I have some girlfriends in
> the building now who I now visit regularly and vice versa: I may cook
> a turkey or cornish hen or maybe just have some nice Atlantic Salmon
> (gotta get those Omega 3's!). I would miss the stuffing though, and a
> little gravy.
>
> I'll call my family back home and friends there and abroad. Then
> probably watch some movies, It's a Wonderful LIfe, the slightly corny
> sappy one with James Stewart, but a tradition nonetheless. Maybe play
> Pitfall Harry on the Xbox too. Oh, and I got some nice Pinot Noir from
> one of the guys at work, knows I prefer that or Shiraz wines. I'll
> enjoy that in between some sips of Brandy Icewine (that stuff is soooo
> good). No, I'm not getting drunk and dehydrated. But hey, it's
> Christmas, time to celebrate!
>
> Anyone else??
>

> Tomorrow will be the shortest day of the year, then it's longer days!
>
> "The people who mind don't matter and the people that matter don't
> mind...."

I'll be spending Christmas eating too much and drinking too much and
away from the bikes while we stay at the inlaw's. I'll be able to run
most days to fight off some of the Christmas calories, but I expect my
suspension to sag a little more by the time we get home.

There's a couple of excellent bike shops in the neighbourhood, so I'll
be stocking up on spares and supplies while I'm here.

Laters and Merry Christmas,

Marz

"Marz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> JD wrote:
>> Giant Yukon MTB Girl wrote:
>> > OK: JD you're probably riding, right?

>> If I don't throw my leg over a bike every day, something is terribly
>> wrong.
>>
>> JD

> Do you sleep with your bike?
>
> Laters,
>
> Marz

Not now that he's got a bigger place.......

and what's wrong with sleeping with your bike?

Gary

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 20:14:46 -0800, Giant Yukon MTB Girl wrote:

> OK: JD you're probably riding, right? {But mebbe that's what I'll do
> if the snow holds off (which it has, it'll be a green Christmas here I
> think)}
>
> Matt, will you run or ski - do you have snow? I guess that will be the
> deciding factor for you.
>
> If no snow, I'll go for a ride around the downtown first instead of
> driving to my destination. It's eerily quiet on the streets here on
> holidays such as Christmas, so very safe where traffic is concerned
> until I can reach the trails. I've got my dogs some special rawhides
> to enjoy while I'm out, courtesy of "Grandma" back home who sent
> everyone cards and a little "something" this year as usual.
>
> I'm tossing the idea around to decorate the home for Christmas or not.
> I've got some new furniture recently and have got the place just as I
> want it now; if I decorate, it'll be lights up for sure to start. I
> may still paint the place, I've got a nice Brick Red shade picked out,
> to go nicely with the black leather couch. Since it's four days off in
> a row, I could get lots of painting done. I have some girlfriends in
> the building now who I now visit regularly and vice versa: I may cook
> a turkey or cornish hen or maybe just have some nice Atlantic Salmon
> (gotta get those Omega 3's!). I would miss the stuffing though, and a
> little gravy.
>
> I'll call my family back home and friends there and abroad. Then
> probably watch some movies, It's a Wonderful LIfe, the slightly corny
> sappy one with James Stewart, but a tradition nonetheless. Maybe play
> Pitfall Harry on the Xbox too. Oh, and I got some nice Pinot Noir from
> one of the guys at work, knows I prefer that or Shiraz wines. I'll
> enjoy that in between some sips of Brandy Icewine (that stuff is soooo
> good). No, I'm not getting drunk and dehydrated. But hey, it's
> Christmas, time to celebrate!
>
> Anyone else??
>

> Tomorrow will be the shortest day of the year, then it's longer days!
>
> "The people who mind don't matter and the people that matter don't
> mind...."

Lot's of in-laws and out-laws coming over for Christmas Eve. They'll
be plenty of Wine. Prime Rib is the main fair, shrimp cocktails,
seafood crepe's, salmon, garlic potato's, veggies.... yummy.
(cool to have a Wife & Mother who are both gourmet cooks).

-Gregg (in Phx)

Giant Yukon MTB Girl wrote:

> Anyone else??

I have always thought that the best way to show gratitude for one's
good fortune is to celebrate! I will be eating good food and drinking
good beer in the company of family and friends.

And instead of joining the orgy of consumer spending, I'm skipping the
plasma TV and the diamond bracelets and giving to those who work to
make the world a better place. Some of my choices:

http://www.habitat.org/
http://www.amnesty.org/
http://www.eff.org/

Feliz Navidad!

CC

And remember, Maryam in the Book; when she went a part from her family
towards a place in the east.

Then she put a screen away from them, then We sent Our spiritual
towards her, and he appeared before her in the shape of healthy man.

She said, 'I beg refuge of the Most Affectionate from you if you are
afraid of God'.

He said, 'I am only a messenger of your Lord. That I may give you a
pure son'.

She said, 'from where shall I have a son, no man has touched me, nor I
am an unchaste?

He said, 'so it is, your Lord has said, this is easy to me', and that
We make it a sign for the people and a mercy from Us, and this matter
is already decreed.

Now Maryam conceived it, then she went away with him to a far off
place.

Then the pains of the childbirth brought her to the trunk of a
palm-tree. She said, Oh, would that I had died before this and had
become a thing forgotten, lost'.

Then one called from underneath her, grieve not undoubtedly, your Lord
has caused to flow a rivulet below you.

And shake towards yourself holding the trunk of the palm tree, fresh
and ripe dates will fall upon you.

Then eat and drink and Cool your eyes; then if you see any man, then
say, 'I have vowed a fast to the Most Affectionate, so I shall not
speak to anyone today'.

Then she brought him to her people taking him in her lap. They said,
'no 'doubt, you have committed a very vile thing.'

'O sister of Haroon! your father was not a wicked man and nor was your
mother an unchaste woman.

Then Maryam pointed towards the child. They said, how could we talk to
him who is a baby in the cradle'.

The baby said, 'I am a bondman of Allah, He gave me the Book and made
me the communicator of unseen news (the Prophet).

And he made me blessed wherever I may be and enjoined on me prayer and
poor due (Zakat) so long as I live.

And dutiful to my mother and not made me vigorous, unfortunate.

And the same peace on me the day I was born and the day I die and the
day I am raised alive.

This is Iesa the son of Maryam, a word of truth in which they doubt.

(Sura 19:16-34)

Corvus Corvax wrote:

> CC
>
> And remember, Maryam in the Book; when she went a part from her family
> towards a place in the east.
>
> Then she put a screen away from them, then We sent Our spiritual
> towards her, and he appeared before her in the shape of healthy man.
>
> She said, 'I beg refuge of the Most Affectionate from you if you are
> afraid of God'.
>
> He said, 'I am only a messenger of your Lord. That I may give you a
> pure son'.
>
> She said, 'from where shall I have a son, no man has touched me, nor I
> am an unchaste?
>
> He said, 'so it is, your Lord has said, this is easy to me', and that
> We make it a sign for the people and a mercy from Us, and this matter
> is already decreed.
>
> Now Maryam conceived it, then she went away with him to a far off
> place.
>
> Then the pains of the childbirth brought her to the trunk of a
> palm-tree. She said, Oh, would that I had died before this and had
> become a thing forgotten, lost'.
>
> Then one called from underneath her, grieve not undoubtedly, your Lord
> has caused to flow a rivulet below you.
>
> And shake towards yourself holding the trunk of the palm tree, fresh
> and ripe dates will fall upon you.
>
> Then eat and drink and Cool your eyes; then if you see any man, then
> say, 'I have vowed a fast to the Most Affectionate, so I shall not
> speak to anyone today'.
>
> Then she brought him to her people taking him in her lap. They said,
> 'no 'doubt, you have committed a very vile thing.'
>
> 'O sister of Haroon! your father was not a wicked man and nor was your
> mother an unchaste woman.
>
> Then Maryam pointed towards the child. They said, how could we talk to
> him who is a baby in the cradle'.
>
> The baby said, 'I am a bondman of Allah, He gave me the Book and made
> me the communicator of unseen news (the Prophet).
>
> And he made me blessed wherever I may be and enjoined on me prayer and
> poor due (Zakat) so long as I live.
>
> And dutiful to my mother and not made me vigorous, unfortunate.
>
> And the same peace on me the day I was born and the day I die and the
> day I am raised alive.
>
> This is Iesa the son of Maryam, a word of truth in which they doubt.

You know, that story sounds really familiar. I can't put my finger on
it...

E.P.

GeeDubb wrote:
> "Marz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > JD wrote:
> >>

> >> If I don't throw my leg over a bike every day, something is terribly
> >> wrong.
> >>
> >> JD

> > Do you sleep with your bike?
> >
> > Laters,
> >
> > Marz
> >

> Not now that he's got a bigger place.......
>
> and what's wrong with sleeping with your bike?

Are you saying that chain lube works on stuff other than chains?

Hmmm.

E.P.

Ed Pirrero wrote:
> GeeDubb wrote:
> > "Marz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > Do you sleep with your bike?
> > >
> > > Laters,
> > >
> > > Marz
> > >

> > Not now that he's got a bigger place.......
> >
> > and what's wrong with sleeping with your bike?

> Are you saying that chain lube works on stuff other than chains?
>
> Hmmm.
>
> E.P.

It depends on whether it is a wet lube or dry lube...

JD

Marz wrote:
> JD wrote:
> > Giant Yukon MTB Girl wrote:
> > > OK: JD you're probably riding, right?

> > If I don't throw my leg over a bike every day, something is terribly
> > wrong.
> >
> > JD

> Do you sleep with your bike?

Only if I'm wearing body armor.

JD

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:32:55 -0800, <[email protected]> wrote:

>> CDB The lights are charging and I'm riding at night. During light its
>> opening gifts and party time. With 3 days off from the salt mine its
>> all my time.

Merry Christmas, Krazie!
--
Slack

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 17:55:24 -0800, JD wrote:

> Ed Pirrero wrote:
>> GeeDubb wrote:
>> > "Marz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...

>> > Not now that he's got a bigger place.......
>> >
>> > and what's wrong with sleeping with your bike?

>> Are you saying that chain lube works on stuff other than chains?
>>
>> Hmmm.
>>
>> E.P.

> It depends on whether it is a wet lube or dry lube...
>
> JD

This sure went South quickly.... :-O

Giant Yukon MTB Girl wrote:
> OK: JD you're probably riding, right? {But mebbe that's what I'll do
> if the snow holds off (which it has, it'll be a green Christmas here I
> think)}

I'm going to fulfill my longtime dream of running all three taps on my
Paulener beer tower. American Amber, Kolsch and an Alt are the flavors
of the month.

Maybe a quick ride out at Red or White Mesa, in the afternoon if things
aren't too sloppy. Otherwise it'll be an early ride before things
melt.

Bruce