What's going on here.................?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Realdean, Apr 29, 2003.

  1. Realdean

    Realdean Guest

    Recently I was in a road race when all of a sudden my bike began to shake as if it was falling
    apart. Slowing down resolved the problem. I've seen this happen to another rider once before. In my
    case my wheels were true and every nut and bolt was tight with no play in the headset. It was not
    really windy and if there was any, it was sligtly coming from behind. At the time the pace was fast
    (approx 30mph) and the road was slighly rough. Can anyone explain the phenomenon? Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Tony Rall

    Tony Rall Guest

    From the faq pointer just posted by Mike Iglesias, see http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8h.5.html

    --
    Tony Rall

  3. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Ask yourself this question: Was I really tense? When you are tense and hanging onto the bars tightly
    a thump on the wheel from a bump or even a bump on your elbow can start the front end wobbling.
    Since this oscillation is at the same frequency as your muscle reaction time it can appear to be a
    speed wobble. When it occurs aside from the usual means to stop the wobble - laying a knee against
    the top tube or standing on the pedals, you might try to completely relax your upper arms.

    BTW, I just saw this happen to someone last week. They insisted that there was something wrong with
    the bike but their dealer couldn't find anything and they have been riding since with no problems.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (realdean) wrote:

    > Recently I was in a road race when all of a sudden my bike began to shake as if it was falling
    > apart. Slowing down resolved the problem. I've seen this happen to another rider once before. In
    > my case my wheels were true and every nut and bolt was tight with no play in the headset. It was
    > not really windy and if there was any, it was sligtly coming from behind. At the time the pace was
    > fast (approx 30mph) and the road was slighly rough. Can anyone explain the phenomenon? Thanks.

    Was there a rattling noise? The other day my bike was rattling and I thought it was going to fall
    apart with me on it! It turns out it was the lock-ring spacer, a tiny little metal ring, that caused
    all that chaos. They cost about 2 bucks to replace.

  5. Me

    Me Guest

    shiimmmmy. can be caused by many things could be a loose headset, bent fork, bad combination of fork
    rake and headtube angle...... Whatever the cause it's reallly scary.

    Marlene Blanshay wrote:

    > (realdean) wrote:
    >

    >>Recently I was in a road race when all of a sudden my bike began to shake as if it was falling
    >>apart. Slowing down resolved the problem. I've seen this happen to another rider once before. In
    >>my case my wheels were true and every nut and bolt was tight with no play in the headset. It was
    >>not really windy and if there was any, it was sligtly coming from behind. At the time the pace was
    >>fast (approx 30mph) and the road was slighly rough. Can anyone explain the phenomenon? Thanks.
    >

    > Was there a rattling noise? The other day my bike was rattling and I thought it was going to fall
    > apart with me on it! It turns out it was the lock-ring spacer, a tiny little metal ring, that
    > caused all that chaos. They cost about 2 bucks to replace.

  6. Realdean

    Realdean Guest

    Thanks for all the replies> > Having read all the advice I can tell you that knowing a solid way to
    RESOLVE the problem has made all the difference. As suggested, placing the knee against the top tube
    when going fast (or even slow) prevents and/or eliminates the problem. Apparently as technology has
    enabled bikes to become lighter and flexible the phenomenon of speed wobble is more common than I
    was evere aware. dean