What's going on your next bike?

Pat Lamb

Guest
If you were going to buy a new bike (or if you bought one in the last
year or so), what would you get (did you put) on the new bike that
wasn't on the old one?

What's on your current steed that will HAVE to be on the new one?

Is there anything you'd like to lose?

Random thoughts from a morning commute, you know.

Pat

In article <[email protected]>, Pat Lamb
([email protected]) wrote:

> If you were going to buy a new bike (or if you bought one in the last
> year or so), what would you get (did you put) on the new bike that
> wasn't on the old one?

Assuming we're talking about the most recently acquired in the current
stable: SON dynamo, Rohloff Speedhub.

> What's on your current steed that will HAVE to be on the new one?

Hope hydraulic disc brakes, HP Velotechnik seat, mudguards, rack, B&M
Dlumotec front light(s), at least four bottle cages.

> Is there anything you'd like to lose?

About 15 lbs...

Do not top-post like a Cretinous Foul-Yob fit only for Stoning.

Pat Lamb <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> If you were going to buy a new bike (or if you bought one in the
> last year or so), what would you get (did you put) on the new bike
> that wasn't on the old one?
>
> What's on your current steed that will HAVE to be on the new one?
>
> Is there anything you'd like to lose?
>
> Random thoughts from a morning commute, you know.
>
> Pat

Dreaming, of course. IF I could get a new bike...

On my new bike, I would have to have (already have these on current
bike):

* Skinny, road tires
* Rear rack for panniers
* Full Fenders
* Taillight(s)
* Headlight(s)
* Reflective tape
* Cyclocomputer
* Water bottle cage - maybe 2
* Tire pump
* Either a handlebar bag or seat bag

On my new bike, I would like to lose:

* About 15 pounds of bike! My Trek 800 is a TANK!!
* About 10 pounds of me!

Now, remember, my bike is a commuter bike. YMMV, especially if you're
looking for a road racing bike!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body.
But rather, it’s to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a ride!!!'

I might get a GPS, though my present computer will probably last a while
longer. My next bike will probably have a triple front chainwheel. I
am getting spoiled. I would get better wheels, though my 20 and 24
spoke wheels are doing okay so far. I have learned how to ride light on
the wheels, but it would be nice not to have to worry about it.

Pat Lamb <[email protected]> wrote:
> If you were going to buy a new bike (or if you bought one in the last
> year or so), what would you get (did you put) on the new bike that
> wasn't on the old one?

The new grocery bike is being built currently:

Xtracylce
48 spoke wheel with a solid axle
Disc brake for the rear with a 203mm rotor

> What's on your current steed that will HAVE to be on the new one?

Fenders

> Is there anything you'd like to lose?

Not that I can think of.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"He is not only dull himself, he is the cause of dullness in others."

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:00:32 -0600, Pat Lamb wrote:

> If you were going to buy a new bike (or if you bought one in the last year
> or so), what would you get (did you put) on the new bike that wasn't on
> the old one?

A second wheel at the front.

> What's on your current steed that will HAVE to be on the new one?

Gears, brakes, seat, lights, the usual stuff. Oh yeah, a mirror.

> Is there anything you'd like to lose?

10cm off my waist.

Mike

catzz66 <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I might get a GPS, though my present computer will probably last a
> while longer. My next bike will probably have a triple front
> chainwheel. I am getting spoiled. I would get better wheels,
> though my 20 and 24 spoke wheels are doing okay so far. I have
> learned how to ride light on the wheels, but it would be nice not
> to have to worry about it.

Oh, and I'll probably only have a double front chainring. I NEVER use
the small chainring (low gears) around here. I guess I'd be looking for
more of a touring or cyclocross bike. Not sure, yet.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body.
But rather, it’s to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a ride!!!'

In article <[email protected]>,
Pat Lamb <[email protected]> writes:
> If you were going to buy a new bike (or if you bought one in the last
> year or so), what would you get (did you put) on the new bike that
> wasn't on the old one?
>
> What's on your current steed that will HAVE to be on the new one?
>
> Is there anything you'd like to lose?
>
> Random thoughts from a morning commute, you know.

I don't anticipate buying a "next bike". Actually I've developed
a certain fondness for my current main ride, like a well broken-in
pair of shoes or a favourite coffee mug.

My bike has evolved so much over the years that the only original
thing on it is the raw frame. Even the rigid fork is a replacement.
In fact just last week I finally got around to replacing the orig,
ridiculously-wide handlebar with something more reasonable. So
it continues to evolve. Often when it's time to upgrade the
wheelset, it seems more worthwhile just to replace the whole bike
with something with better wheels. But what I have right now has
the dual eyelets fore & aft for racks and fenders, and brake clearance
for fenders. It has everything a commuter/utility bike needs, and
they don't seem to make 'em like that any more.

The thing it needs most of all right now is new paint. I'm trying
to talk myself out of the yellow & black "killer bee" look, but
the visualization of it keeps nagging me. Hi-gloss cherry-black or
garnet might be nice. A subtle little bit of old gold detailing
might look good against that, but it would be too much work.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

"Pat Lamb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If you were going to buy a new bike (or if you bought one in the last year
> or so), what would you get (did you put) on the new bike that wasn't on
> the old one?
>
> What's on your current steed that will HAVE to be on the new one?

Oh yes. Brooks B17, a Nitto Noodle Bar, and Ruffy Tuffys. Comfort is king.

> Is there anything you'd like to lose?

15 pounds. :)

> Random thoughts from a morning commute, you know.
>
> Pat

"Pat Lamb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If you were going to buy a new bike (or if you bought one in the last year
> or so), what would you get (did you put) on the new bike that wasn't on
> the old one?

Dynamo hub.
Tubus rack, probably not worth the $$ spent on it, and a german rear red
light to fit on the rack.
Full fenders

> What's on your current steed that will HAVE to be on the new one?

Another bike might not be for the same purpose as this one. If it's another
commuter/touring bike, then yes, I'd do the dynamo hub, full fenders. And
things I have like the CatEye Enduro computer, some sort of rack, Jandd
trunk would go on the next touring/commuter bike too. But if I got, say, a
lightweight speed machine, I might not bother with things like a dynamo hub,
rack, or fenders.

> Is there anything you'd like to lose?

15 pounds off of the hips and the middriff?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
Sponsor me for the Big Climb! See: www.active.com/donate/cpetersky06
See the books I've set free at:

Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:00:32 -0600, Pat Lamb <[email protected]> skrev:

> If you were going to buy a new bike (or if you bought one in the last
> year or so), what would you get (did you put) on the new bike that
> wasn't on the old one?

I would have a frame built with room for 28 mm tires and mudguards - and
welded eyelets for those on stays and fork - and that means it must be
built for the old fashioned brake caliber standard with 47-57 mm reach.

Because thats what I need for the all-day-rain which is an inevitable part
of the cycling spring in Denmark.

You can't buy frames like that in stores around here. But hurray:
Framebuilder, mr. Schröeder in Copenhagen is still doing his thing, which
has been going on since the early seventies.

He makes frames from Italian >light< weight steel tubes, and he charges
the equivalent of 640 dollars for it, built to fit your indvidual wishes
and personal measures. I think that is a very good price, so I ordered one
last week.

I have found a Brooks Swallow Special Edition on EBAY at a good price,
which will contribute to the steel epoque retro look. Mr. Schröder
insisted that I buy a Campagnolo headset for the fork - apart from that he
wouldn't interfere with my choise of parts, which is covered mainly by a
good deal on a Shimano Ultegra 10 Speed tripple group.

I am a little ahead with building wheels, because I enjoy that so much, so
I won't have to buy new wheels for my rainy weather bike - exept for the
25 mm Schwalbe Stelvio Rain tires - of course.

I should have it all out rolling in three weeks from now, and then I hope
my neighbours will forgive that I will be praying for rain.

Ivar of Denmark

"Ivar Hesselager" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:00:32 -0600, Pat Lamb <[email protected]>
> skrev:
>
>> If you were going to buy a new bike (or if you bought one in the last
>> year or so), what would you get (did you put) on the new bike that
>> wasn't on the old one?

> I would have a frame built with room for 28 mm tires and mudguards - and
> welded eyelets for those on stays and fork - and that means it must be
> built for the old fashioned brake caliber standard with 47-57 mm reach.
>
> Because thats what I need for the all-day-rain which is an inevitable part
> of the cycling spring in Denmark.
>
> You can't buy frames like that in stores around here. But hurray:
> Framebuilder, mr. Schröeder in Copenhagen is still doing his thing, which
> has been going on since the early seventies.
>
> He makes frames from Italian >light< weight steel tubes, and he charges
> the equivalent of 640 dollars for it, built to fit your indvidual wishes
> and personal measures. I think that is a very good price, so I ordered one
> last week.
>
> I have found a Brooks Swallow Special Edition on EBAY at a good price,
> which will contribute to the steel epoque retro look. Mr. Schröder
> insisted that I buy a Campagnolo headset for the fork - apart from that he
> wouldn't interfere with my choise of parts, which is covered mainly by a
> good deal on a Shimano Ultegra 10 Speed tripple group.
>
> I am a little ahead with building wheels, because I enjoy that so much, so
> I won't have to buy new wheels for my rainy weather bike - exept for the
> 25 mm Schwalbe Stelvio Rain tires - of course.
>
> I should have it all out rolling in three weeks from now, and then I hope
> my neighbours will forgive that I will be praying for rain.
>
> Ivar of Denmark

Wow, are things that bad in Denmark? You just described a whole bunch of
bikes available here in the States. Gunnar, Surly, Rivendell, Jamis,
Bianchi, and others I'm sure I missed make such bikes.

1. Luggage rack
2. Black saddle bag, with expandable top bag and sidebags on each side.
3. Cateye Opticube headlight
4. Rear view mirror
5. Warning bell
6. Cateye speedometet/odometer
7. Bottle holder
8. Bontrager tires with kevlar linings
9. Thorn resistant tubes

What is most dispensable - anything more than 10 gears

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:34:35 -0000, Dave Larrington
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Pat Lamb
>([email protected]) wrote:
>
>> If you were going to buy a new bike (or if you bought one in the last
>> year or so), what would you get (did you put) on the new bike that
>> wasn't on the old one?

>Assuming we're talking about the most recently acquired in the current
>stable: SON dynamo, Rohloff Speedhub.
>
>> What's on your current steed that will HAVE to be on the new one?

>Hope hydraulic disc brakes, HP Velotechnik seat, mudguards, rack, B&M
>Dlumotec front light(s), at least four bottle cages.

Can you run the hub generator along with disc brakes?

>> Is there anything you'd like to lose?

>About 15 lbs...

Is that all? :/
Email address works as is.

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:04:56 -0600, catzz66 <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I might get a GPS, though my present computer will probably last a while
>longer. My next bike will probably have a triple front chainwheel. I
>am getting spoiled. I would get better wheels, though my 20 and 24
>spoke wheels are doing okay so far. I have learned how to ride light on
>the wheels, but it would be nice not to have to worry about it.

How would this GPS differ from one you could just carry around with
you?

And aren't you going backward from the rest of this group? A (heavy)
triple combined with (heavy) low spoke count wheels?? Are you
retrogressing from a plaything into a utility bicycle? Not that
there's anything wrong with that.

Pat

Email address works as is.

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 23:46:31 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Pat Lamb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> If you were going to buy a new bike (or if you bought one in the last year
>> or so), what would you get (did you put) on the new bike that wasn't on
>> the old one?

>Dynamo hub.
>Tubus rack, probably not worth the $$ spent on it, and a german rear red
>light to fit on the rack.
>Full fenders

I'm assuming the Tubus is overkill for the loads carry, but the rack
is still necessary, right?

>> Is there anything you'd like to lose?

>15 pounds off of the hips and the middriff?

I originally meant off the bike, but there seems to be some sort of
group-think here. I think everybody who's responded wants to lose 15
pounds! Am I the only one posting here who needs to lose more than 15
pounds?

Pat

Email address works as is.

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 02:56:47 GMT, "Ron Wallenfang"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>1. Luggage rack
>2. Black saddle bag, with expandable top bag and sidebags on each side.
>3. Cateye Opticube headlight
>4. Rear view mirror
>5. Warning bell
>6. Cateye speedometet/odometer
>7. Bottle holder
>8. Bontrager tires with kevlar linings
>9. Thorn resistant tubes
>
>What is most dispensable - anything more than 10 gears

OK, but are all these things new? Sounds like things you're
duplicating that have worked for you before.

By the way, why the requirement that the saddle bag be black?

Pat

Email address works as is.

Pat Lamb wrote:
> If you were going to buy a new bike (or if you bought one in the last
> year or so), what would you get (did you put) on the new bike that
> wasn't on the old one?
>
> What's on your current steed that will HAVE to be on the new one?
>
> Is there anything you'd like to lose?

I'm pretty happy with my primary commuter, which is an Airborne Carpe
Diem (ti 'cross frame) with Ultegra/XT, fenders, rack, Mavic touring
wheels and Conti touring tires (32c). This bike does the daily with
aplomb and has also done several solo metrics and centuries and other
epics without modifications.

The only thing wrong with it is that I like it too much and my other
commuter, which is too similar but heavier (a Novara Randonne), only
gets ridden when I need the front panniers (sloppy weather when I'm
carrying rain gear days when I'm shuttling laundry) or the Airborne is
being worked on.

The one thing I'm getting really tired of is dealing with
battery-powered lights. The Novara is closer to needing wheels than the
Airborne (which has Peter White wheels that will probably last
forever). Maybe I'll get a generator setup on the Novara and only ride
the Airborne when it's daylight both ways.

RichC

Pat Lamb wrote:

> If you were going to buy a new bike (or if you bought one in the last
> year or so), what would you get (did you put) on the new bike that
> wasn't on the old one?
>
> What's on your current steed that will HAVE to be on the new one?
>
> Is there anything you'd like to lose?
>
> Random thoughts from a morning commute, you know.
>
> Pat

For the morning commute, how about a cup holder? - At my LBS I saw one
on a cruiser and thought "Hmm, I could use one of those" so I searched
on amazon for "bicycle cup holder". Lo and behold! There it is!

And no, I don't have any monetary intrest in selling these things.