What's Harder? Alpine Classic or Delight

MalP wrote:

> Bleve Wrote:
> > Walrus wrote:

> > curious as to the calculations of
> > > total ascent. If Bright (300m) to Hotham (1821m) = 1521m
> > > climbing...and Omeo (700m) to Hotham (1821m) = 1121m climbing...how

> > can
> > > the total ascent be as high as 3900? Sorry, but Audax doesn't have

> > much
> > > info on it. Which part am I missing?

> > Hotham to Omeo includes 700m or so of climbing.
> > Omeo to Hotham, alas, is only 700m of descending (but they're ace
> > descents!) and rather a lot of climbing.I'm not sure that was mentioned in the fine print Carl ...:eek:

We are staying at the top, and there's only one way to get there :)

> --
> MalP

JoeD said:
I'll be mentally more prepared for the
climb out of Omeo which I didn't percive as tough as it was.
Well done Joe but remember it's grind coming out of Omeo exspecially on a double.

You aint kidding!!!!!
I was with a group of 5 others who all had triples and while i was grinding,
they spun (actually grinded a little quicker) away from me. I did have a 27
but 5K out of Omeo I would have paid anything for a triple. Will be getting
lower gears!

news:D[email protected]...

JoeD said:
You aint kidding!!!!!
I was with a group of 5 others who all had triples and while i was grinding,
they spun (actually grinded a little quicker) away from me. I did have a 27
but 5K out of Omeo I would have paid anything for a triple. Will be getting
lower gears!

"Dancier" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...

> JoeD Wrote:
>> I'll be mentally more prepared for the
>> climb out of Omeo which I didn't percive as tough as it was.

> Well done Joe but remember it's grind coming out of Omeo exspecially on
> a double.
>

> --
> Dancier

:eek: . What sort of % are we talking coming out of Omeo.

Walrus said:
:eek: . What sort of % are we talking coming out of Omeo.
IIRC, there's a particularly nasty stretch of 3k or so that is at about 8% - 9% - that's the worst of it (although the whole ascent does rate up there in the grinding stakes).

RobM wrote:

> Walrus Wrote:
> > :eek: . What sort of % are we talking coming out of Omeo.

> IIRC, there's a particularly nasty stretch of 3k or so that is at about
> 8% - 9% - that's the worst of it (although the whole ascent does rate up
> there in the grinding stakes).

I'll post a profile of it on Monday when I get back. We're riding
Hotham-Bright-Hotham on Sat, and Hotham-Omeo-Hotham on Sunday (this
w'end). The weather forecast is ace :)

Bleve said:
I'll post a profile of it on Monday when I get back. We're riding
Hotham-Bright-Hotham on Sat, and Hotham-Omeo-Hotham on Sunday (this
w'end). The weather forecast is ace :)
Have a nice ride, enjoy those descents!

Walrus wrote:

> Bleve Wrote:
> > I'll post a profile of it on Monday when I get back. We're riding
> > Hotham-Bright-Hotham on Sat, and Hotham-Omeo-Hotham on Sunday (this
> > w'end). The weather forecast is ace :)

>Have a nice ride, enjoy those descents!

You bet, the drop into Omeo is one of my alltime favourite descents,
it's right up there with Marble Hill in Adelade (w00t!)

"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> RobM wrote:
>
>> Walrus Wrote:
>> > :eek: . What sort of % are we talking coming out of Omeo.

>> IIRC, there's a particularly nasty stretch of 3k or so that is at about
>> 8% - 9% - that's the worst of it (although the whole ascent does rate up
>> there in the grinding stakes).

> I'll post a profile of it on Monday when I get back. We're riding
> Hotham-Bright-Hotham on Sat, and Hotham-Omeo-Hotham on Sunday (this
> w'end). The weather forecast is ace :)

Have a great ride. I'd love to see what the profile of all the grinding
looks like on paper.
It was my first time at Hotham and I can't wait to do it again. The climb,
descent and view is just magical.