What's Harder? Alpine Classic or Delight

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by JoeD, Nov 19, 2006.

  1. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    MalP wrote:

    > Bleve Wrote:
    > > Walrus wrote:

    > > curious as to the calculations of
    > > > total ascent. If Bright (300m) to Hotham (1821m) = 1521m
    > > > climbing...and Omeo (700m) to Hotham (1821m) = 1121m climbing...how

    > > can
    > > > the total ascent be as high as 3900? Sorry, but Audax doesn't have

    > > much
    > > > info on it. Which part am I missing?

    > > Hotham to Omeo includes 700m or so of climbing.
    > > Omeo to Hotham, alas, is only 700m of descending (but they're ace
    > > descents!) and rather a lot of climbing.I'm not sure that was mentioned in the fine print Carl ...:eek:

    We are staying at the top, and there's only one way to get there :)

    > --
    > MalP

  2. Dancier

    Dancier New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2005
    Well done Joe but remember it's grind coming out of Omeo exspecially on a double.

  3. JoeD

    JoeD Guest

    You aint kidding!!!!!
    I was with a group of 5 others who all had triples and while i was grinding,
    they spun (actually grinded a little quicker) away from me. I did have a 27
    but 5K out of Omeo I would have paid anything for a triple. Will be getting
    lower gears!

    "Dancier" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]

    > JoeD Wrote:
    >> I'll be mentally more prepared for the
    >> climb out of Omeo which I didn't percive as tough as it was.

    > Well done Joe but remember it's grind coming out of Omeo exspecially on
    > a double.
    >

    > --
    > Dancier

  4. Walrus

    Walrus New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2004
    :eek: . What sort of % are we talking coming out of Omeo.

  5. RobM

    RobM New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2006
    IIRC, there's a particularly nasty stretch of 3k or so that is at about 8% - 9% - that's the worst of it (although the whole ascent does rate up there in the grinding stakes).

  6. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    RobM wrote:

    > Walrus Wrote:
    > > :eek: . What sort of % are we talking coming out of Omeo.

    > IIRC, there's a particularly nasty stretch of 3k or so that is at about
    > 8% - 9% - that's the worst of it (although the whole ascent does rate up
    > there in the grinding stakes).

    I'll post a profile of it on Monday when I get back. We're riding
    Hotham-Bright-Hotham on Sat, and Hotham-Omeo-Hotham on Sunday (this
    w'end). The weather forecast is ace :)

  7. Walrus

    Walrus New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2004
    Have a nice ride, enjoy those descents!

  8. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Walrus wrote:

    > Bleve Wrote:
    > > I'll post a profile of it on Monday when I get back. We're riding
    > > Hotham-Bright-Hotham on Sat, and Hotham-Omeo-Hotham on Sunday (this
    > > w'end). The weather forecast is ace :)

    >Have a nice ride, enjoy those descents!

    You bet, the drop into Omeo is one of my alltime favourite descents,
    it's right up there with Marble Hill in Adelade (w00t!)

  9. JoeD

    JoeD Guest

    "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > RobM wrote:
    >
    >> Walrus Wrote:
    >> > :eek: . What sort of % are we talking coming out of Omeo.

    >> IIRC, there's a particularly nasty stretch of 3k or so that is at about
    >> 8% - 9% - that's the worst of it (although the whole ascent does rate up
    >> there in the grinding stakes).

    > I'll post a profile of it on Monday when I get back. We're riding
    > Hotham-Bright-Hotham on Sat, and Hotham-Omeo-Hotham on Sunday (this
    > w'end). The weather forecast is ace :)

    Have a great ride. I'd love to see what the profile of all the grinding
    looks like on paper.
    It was my first time at Hotham and I can't wait to do it again. The climb,
    descent and view is just magical.

  10. jur

    jur New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2005
    Whichever one you're doing at the time is more difficult.