What's in a name?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by The Ogre, May 12, 2003.

  1. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    On the internet, everything. My Web hosting provider is in the process of going tits up and screwing
    all of their customers on the way down. They allowed my DNS name "ogrehut.com" to expire causing my
    web site, email, everything to come to a screeching halt. I tried calling them to renew my name but
    noone answers the phones. No one responds to emails and they don't answer helpdesk requests. I can't
    transfer the Domain name because they are listed as the administrative contact (Note to self when
    getting internet names never allow your web hosting provider to be the administrative contact on
    your domain name).

    My website is still out there, attached to a random series of numbers but who is going to rember the
    ogre's website is at "http://64.127.245.45" Good luck.

    -- The Ogre http://64.127.245.45

    Tags:

  2. Coz

    Coz Guest

    "The Ogre" wrote

    Snip
    > My website is still out there, attached to a random series of numbers but who is going to rember
    > the ogre's website is at "http://64.127.245.45" Good luck.

    Snip

    You could try using a service like dtdns.net to give your self a temporary domain name that is
    redirected to your web-sites ip address (tis also very good if you want to run a website from your
    own (un)static ip address at home), the big plus point is that's its free to set up the sort of
    account you need :)

    Ooohhhh just a thought .....No I don't work or have any connection to this Co (though have used it)

    Coz

  3. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    The Ogre wrote:
    > On the internet, everything. My Web hosting provider is in the process of going tits up and
    > screwing all of their customers on the way down. They allowed my DNS name "ogrehut.com" to expire
    > causing my web site, email, everything to come to a screeching halt. I tried calling them to renew
    > my name but noone answers the phones. No one responds to emails and they don't answer helpdesk
    > requests. I can't transfer the Domain name because they are listed as the administrative contact
    > (Note to self when getting internet names never allow your web hosting provider to be the
    > administrative contact on your domain name).
    >
    > My website is still out there, attached to a random series of numbers but who is going to rember
    > the ogre's website is at "http://64.127.245.45" Good luck.
    >
    > -- The Ogre http://64.127.245.45

    have you contacted someone like http://www.networksolutions.com/ this **I believe** is one of the
    main web name managing co's maybe they can help. ( go ahead correct me if I'm wrong) I cam back from
    a 3 week trip in Alaska to a similar situation several years ago, my admin contact listed was at the
    defunct email but I did get it straightened out.

    penny

  4. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    "The Ogre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On the internet, everything. My Web hosting provider is in the process of going tits up and
    > screwing all of their customers on the way down. They allowed my DNS name "ogrehut.com" to expire
    > causing my web site, email, everything to come to a screeching halt. I tried calling them to renew
    > my name but noone answers the phones. No one responds to emails and they don't answer helpdesk
    > requests. I can't transfer the Domain name because they are listed as the administrative contact
    > (Note to self when getting internet names never allow your web hosting provider to be the
    > administrative contact on your domain name).
    >
    > My website is still out there, attached to a random series of numbers but who is going to rember
    > the ogre's website is at "http://64.127.245.45" Good luck.
    >
    > -- The Ogre http://64.127.245.45

    I already grabbed your domain name, but its up on ebay ... you are welcome to bid on it!!

  5. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    "Coz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "The Ogre" wrote
    >
    > Snip
    > > My website is still out there, attached to a random series of numbers but who is going to rember
    > > the ogre's website is at "http://64.127.245.45" Good luck.
    > >
    > Snip
    >
    > You could try using a service like dtdns.net to give your self a temporary domain name that is
    > redirected to your web-sites ip address (tis also very good if you want to run a website from your
    > own (un)static ip address at home), the big plus point is that's its free to set up the sort of
    > account you need :)
    >
    > Ooohhhh just a thought .....No I don't work or have any connection to this Co (though have
    > used it)
    >
    > Coz

    I am doing something similar, I will have a new name shortly (probably ogrehut.net). I am mostly
    irritated with myself for getting screwed this way. My site isn't the greatest MTB site out there
    but IMO it is decent, I have quite a few other sites that link to me and a good flow of traffic from
    Google. Now I need to re-establish all of that, notify people etc.

    I really Liked my domain name.</whining.>

    -- The Ogre http://64.127.245.45 (nameless on the internet)

  6. Spider

    Spider Guest

    The Ogre wrote:
    > On the internet, everything. My Web hosting provider is in the process of going tits up and
    > screwing all of their customers on the way down. They allowed my DNS name "ogrehut.com" to expire
    > causing my web site, email, everything to come to a screeching halt. I tried calling them to renew
    > my name but noone answers the phones. No one responds to emails and they don't answer helpdesk
    > requests. I can't transfer the Domain name because they are listed as the administrative contact
    > (Note to self when getting internet names never allow your web hosting provider to be the
    > administrative contact on your domain name).
    >
    > My website is still out there, attached to a random series of numbers but who is going to rember
    > the ogre's website is at "http://64.127.245.45" Good luck.
    >
    > -- The Ogre http://64.127.245.45

    Quit spamming this newsgroup, hypocrite ;)

    -Spider

  7. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "The Ogre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On the internet, everything. My Web hosting provider is in the process of going tits up and
    > > screwing all of their customers on the way down. They allowed my DNS name "ogrehut.com" to
    > > expire causing my web site, email, everything to come to a screeching halt. I tried calling them
    > > to renew my name but noone answers the phones. No one responds to emails and they don't answer
    > > helpdesk requests. I can't transfer the Domain name because they are listed as the
    > > administrative contact (Note to self when getting internet names never allow your web hosting
    > > provider to be the administrative contact on your domain name).
    > >
    > > My website is still out there, attached to a random series of numbers but who is going to rember
    > > the ogre's website is at "http://64.127.245.45" Good luck.
    > >
    > > -- The Ogre http://64.127.245.45
    >
    > I already grabbed your domain name, but its up on ebay ... you are welcome to bid on it!!

    I assume this you are joking but otherwise, enjoy it. The last thing I would want to do is give
    money to someone who would grab up an expired domain name so they can blackmail the original owner.
    Chances are my domain name is worthless to anyone else.

    -- The Ogre

  8. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > The Ogre wrote:
    > > On the internet, everything. My Web hosting provider is in the process of going tits up and
    > > screwing all of their customers on the way down. They allowed my DNS name "ogrehut.com" to
    > > expire causing my web site, email, everything to come to a screeching halt. I tried calling them
    > > to renew my name but noone answers the phones. No one responds to emails and they don't answer
    > > helpdesk requests. I can't transfer the Domain name because they are listed as the
    > > administrative contact (Note to self when getting internet names never allow your web hosting
    > > provider to be the administrative contact on your domain name).
    > >
    > > My website is still out there, attached to a random series of numbers but who is going to rember
    > > the ogre's website is at "http://64.127.245.45" Good luck.
    > >
    > have you contacted someone like http://www.networksolutions.com/ this **I believe** is one of the
    > main web name managing co's maybe they can help. ( go ahead correct me if I'm wrong) I cam back
    > from a 3 week trip in Alaska to a similar situation several years ago, my admin contact listed was
    > at the defunct email but I did get it straightened out.
    >
    > penny

    I will try them but I think where I screwed up was in leaving all the domain contacts under their
    name. I tried doing a transfer but the only way that works is if your contact info is the same.

    -- The Ogre

  9. On 12 May 2003 13:58:16 -0700, [email protected] (The Ogre) wrote:

    >> I already grabbed your domain name, but its up on ebay ... you are welcome to bid on it!!
    >

    >I assume this you are joking but otherwise, enjoy it. The last thing I would want to do is give
    >money to someone who would grab up an expired domain name so they can blackmail the original owner.
    >Chances are my domain name is worthless to anyone else.

    I understand that many of the folks in the Shrek groups are going wild and bidding it up.

    Better get your bid in soon.

  10. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    The Ogre wrote:
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> The Ogre wrote:
    >>> On the internet, everything. My Web hosting provider is in the process of going tits up and
    >>> screwing all of their customers on the way down. They allowed my DNS name "ogrehut.com" to
    >>> expire causing my web site, email, everything to come to a screeching halt. I tried calling them
    >>> to renew my name but noone answers the phones. No one responds to emails and they don't answer
    >>> helpdesk requests. I can't transfer the Domain name because they are listed as the
    >>> administrative contact (Note to self when getting internet names never allow your web hosting
    >>> provider to be the administrative contact on your domain name).
    >>>
    >>> My website is still out there, attached to a random series of numbers but who is going to rember
    >>> the ogre's website is at "http://64.127.245.45" Good luck.
    >>>
    >> have you contacted someone like http://www.networksolutions.com/ this **I believe** is one of the
    >> main web name managing co's maybe they can help. ( go ahead correct me if I'm wrong) I cam back
    >> from a 3 week trip in Alaska to a similar situation several years ago, my admin contact listed
    >> was at the defunct email but I did get it straightened out.
    >>
    >> penny
    >
    > I will try them but I think where I screwed up was in leaving all the domain contacts under their
    > name. I tried doing a transfer but the only way that works is if your contact info is the same.
    >
    > -- The Ogre

    I know when I had to correct the admin email ( dead ISP) it was a real pain, I had to fax copies of
    my DL in and so on, I do think there is an 800# somewhere on the site and that eventually you can
    get a real person to help you out. If you've paid up, there has to be some sort of record
    somewhere.

    P.

  11. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    "The Ogre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "The Ogre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > On the internet, everything. My Web hosting provider is in the process of going tits up and
    > > > screwing all of their customers on the way down. They allowed my DNS name "ogrehut.com" to
    > > > expire causing my web site, email, everything to come to a screeching halt. I tried calling
    > > > them to renew my name but noone answers the phones. No one responds to emails and they don't
    > > > answer helpdesk requests. I can't transfer the Domain name because they are listed as the
    > > > administrative contact (Note to self when getting internet names never allow your web hosting
    > > > provider to be the administrative contact on your domain name).
    > > >
    > > > My website is still out there, attached to a random series of numbers but who is going to
    > > > rember the ogre's website is at "http://64.127.245.45" Good luck.
    > > >
    > > > -- The Ogre http://64.127.245.45
    > >
    > > I already grabbed your domain name, but its up on ebay ... you are
    welcome
    > > to bid on it!!
    >

    > I assume this you are joking but otherwise, enjoy it. The last thing I would want to do is give
    > money to someone who would grab up an expired domain name so they can blackmail the original
    > owner. Chances are my domain name is worthless to anyone else.
    >
    > -- The Ogre

    Sorry there guy! Totally joking!!

  12. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    Spider <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > The Ogre wrote:
    > > On the internet, everything. My Web hosting provider is in the process of going tits up and
    > > screwing all of their customers on the way down. They allowed my DNS name "ogrehut.com" to
    > > expire causing my web site, email, everything to come to a screeching halt. I tried calling them
    > > to renew my name but noone answers the phones. No one responds to emails and they don't answer
    > > helpdesk requests. I can't transfer the Domain name because they are listed as the
    > > administrative contact (Note to self when getting internet names never allow your web hosting
    > > provider to be the administrative contact on your domain name).
    > >
    > > My website is still out there, attached to a random series of numbers but who is going to rember
    > > the ogre's website is at "http://64.127.245.45" Good luck.
    > >
    > > -- The Ogre http://64.127.245.45
    >
    > Quit spamming this newsgroup, hypocrite ;)
    >
    > -Spider

    Ouch. I don't think I qualify for spammer status if I ever do please feel free to flame me to your
    hearts content.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.NET <- New name same content

  13. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    [email protected] (The Ogre) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On the internet, everything. My Web hosting provider is in the process of going tits up and
    > screwing all of their customers on the way down. They allowed my DNS name "ogrehut.com" to expire
    > causing my web site, email, everything to come to a screeching halt. I tried calling them to renew
    > my name but noone answers the phones. No one responds to emails and they don't answer helpdesk
    > requests. I can't transfer the Domain name because they are listed as the administrative contact
    > (Note to self when getting internet names never allow your web hosting provider to be the
    > administrative contact on your domain name).
    >
    > My website is still out there, attached to a random series of numbers but who is going to rember
    > the ogre's website is at "http://64.127.245.45" Good luck.
    >
    > -- The Ogre http://64.127.245.45

    My site is now back up as ogrehut.NET. Hopefully I will get my .com name back running as well. Sorry
    to spam the group with my web site woes.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.NET <- New name same content.

  14. Gyp

    Gyp Guest

    The Ogre wrote:
    > Ouch. I don't think I qualify for spammer status if I ever do please feel free to flame me to your
    > hearts content.
    >
    > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.NET <- New name same content

    Please do not feed the Troll! (Err sorry I mean Orge err)..

    <Chuckle

  15. Gyp

    Gyp Guest

    Cinder Girl wrote:
    > Sorry there guy! Totally joking!!

    Your evil!!!

    <Chuckle

  16. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 12 May 2003 13:58:16 -0700, [email protected] (The Ogre) wrote:
    >

    > >> I already grabbed your domain name, but its up on ebay ... you are welcome to bid on it!!
    > >

    > >I assume this you are joking but otherwise, enjoy it. The last thing I would want to do is give
    > >money to someone who would grab up an expired domain name so they can blackmail the original
    > >owner. Chances are my domain name is worthless to anyone else.
    >
    > I understand that many of the folks in the Shrek groups are going wild and bidding it up.
    >
    > Better get your bid in soon.

    I can only image who would be chasing after petefagerlin.com.

    Actually a while ago Fatrac, a local Mountain Bike Trail Advocate Group had a similar problem and
    their domain was snatched up and someone put up a bunch of porn and asked them for a big chunk of
    cash for their name back.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.NET

  17. On 13 May 2003 09:12:54 -0700, [email protected] (The Ogre) wrote:

    |P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    |> >I assume this you are joking but otherwise, enjoy it. The last thing I would want to do is give
    |> >money to someone who would grab up an expired domain name so they can blackmail the original
    |> >owner. Chances are my domain name is worthless to anyone else.
    |>
    |> I understand that many of the folks in the Shrek groups are going wild and bidding it up.
    |>
    |> Better get your bid in soon.
    |
    |I can only image who would be chasing after petefagerlin.com.
    |
    |Actually a while ago Fatrac, a local Mountain Bike Trail Advocate |Group had a similar problem and
    their domain was snatched up and |someone put up a bunch of porn and asked them for a big chunk of
    cash |for their name back.

    After seeing what those sanitizers did to Salmon Falls years ago, that's some kind of karma.

  18. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > On 13 May 2003 09:12:54 -0700, [email protected] (The Ogre) wrote:
    >
    > |P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > |> I understand that many of the folks in the Shrek groups are going wild and bidding it up.
    > |>
    > |> Better get your bid in soon.
    > |
    > |I can only image who would be chasing after petefagerlin.com.
    > |
    > |Actually a while ago Fatrac, a local Mountain Bike Trail Advocate |Group had a similar problem
    > and their domain was snatched up and |someone put up a bunch of porn and asked them for a big
    > chunk of cash |for their name back.
    >
    > After seeing what those sanitizers did to Salmon Falls years ago, that's some kind of karma.

    I'm not certain how I feel about that, I have only ridden Salmon Falls in it's existing format,
    there are still quite a few miles of great singletrack on the top of Flagstaff Hill on the section
    called "Mickey Mouse".

    I've noticed quite a bit of frustration with advocacy groups like that are affiliated with IMBA such
    as Fatrac and ROMP, and with IMBA in general. Do you think these groups are more harm than help? On
    the one hand you have people out sanitizing trails and on the other hand they are opening trails and
    lobbying to keep trails open to mountain bikers... I would hate to see what they would do to
    sanitize Mickey Mouse, or to the Clementine Loop.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.NET