What's in your bottle?

I'm not sure I would have tried the raw eggs but I certainly would try out any hydration scheme involving belgium beer!!!

Whats the science behind Malt as a recovery aid? ??? It's just a whole bunch of carbs?

I wouldn't be an expert on the *science* behind why it's good for you, but there are a fair few of calories in a Pint of Guinness and besides the alcohol (which would relax you the evening after a race), Malt / Hops are the main ingredients. I feel very recovered after a pint the following day. You'll notice too that alot of these body-building mixes are &quot;Chocoloate-Malt&quot; flavour... could have something to do with calorie content. Also, there is a drink called &quot;Ovaltine&quot;, which is a hot Malt drink... &quot;Malt provides several forms of energy from a pick me up to a sustained release of energy to keep you going&quot;<br /><br />http://www.britstore.co.uk/itm00040.htm<br /><br />But as I say, I don't know if Dr. Conconi would have had his riders on this stuff... probably too unhealthy for his proteges!<br />

Hey nferyn, I had a French mate and when he came over to Ireland to race as a Junior, he used Creme de Cassis mixed with Water in his bottle... It's the alcoholic stuff that you add blackcurrant flavour wines with. He entered 2 senior criterium races and won both of them. He'd never use the electrolyte stuff either... he just ate like a horse.<br />

[quote author=Rhodent link=board=18;threadid=2677;start=15#23479 date=1039523040]<br />I'm not sure I would have tried the raw eggs but I certainly would try out any hydration scheme involving belgium beer!!! <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Well, I wouldn't advise Rodenbach: It's an acquired taste: a little sour with a long aftertaste. pretty refreshning, though. Quite a lot of cyclotourists drink it when going for their weekend rides (50-60 kms riding, stopping at a local 'terasse', having a couple of drinks - which don't necessarily have to be alcoholic- and then back for another 50-60 kms).<br /><br />Niek

[quote author=Collumbo link=board=18;threadid=2677;start=15#23487 date=1039541838]<br /> Also, there is a drink called &quot;Ovaltine&quot;, which is a hot Malt drink... &quot;Malt provides several forms of energy from a pick me up to a sustained release of energy to keep you going&quot;<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />I used to drink that ovaltine as a child, but now that I'm all grown up I drink the hard stuff<br /><br />Horlicks........that stuff can make feel warm and sleepy like nothing else.<br /><br />But on the bike I drink<br />http://www.nutrisport.co.uk/new-image-thumbs/energy-boost.jpg having never tried anything else I couldn't tell you how good it is compared to other products, but I'm happy with it.

I used to be on Cytomax, but have changed to Energy Dynamics Octane and now prefer it. Seems to work better for me in delaying lactic acid build up

I usually take 1 or 2 1l bottles of extran. I used to take Isostar, but switched to extran as it is cheaper. These are just for rehydration, I don't take any carb drinks on the road, I prefer solid food ( energy bars or 'rijsttaartjes' - sort of rice pudding cakes, very popular in Belgium)<br /><br />Niek

Presently use Octane. Previously I was on cytomax which was great, but things got to the point that there was no way I could justify the additional expense - even to myself. Betwen Cytomax and Octane though, I went through a gamut of different stuff - cytopower etc. Octane does it for me.

[quote author=Dr.Ferrari link=board=18;threadid=2677;start=15#23501 date=1039566772]<br />PROTEIN!!!!!!!<br /><br />Gotta have a little protein in there! <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Its interesting you say that - a friend of mine chats with one of the top US track cyclists (they talk weight training :)), and he said that adding protein to his drinks during racing and training has really given him something a little extra.<br /><br />Has anyone heard much about a carb/protein drink whilst riding? And what sort of ratios should be used? What would the benefits be of taking protein during riding? Apparently his reasoning was the carbs are absorbed quicker when protein is present as well? <br /><br />I havent tried it myself - I use powdered Powerade, tastes nice and plenty of energy. I use the GU gels too when racing or longer/harder rides when its not easy to stomach food.

[quote author=2LAP link=board=18;threadid=2677;start=15#23042 date=1038152767]<br />Prefer just plain water most of the time, with jam sandwiches and jelly babies to chew on!!!<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I'm not into those fancy sportsdrink either. Mainly because I'm not sure what good they will do me?<br />I use water with grape sugar(glucose) which is very cheap at a price of ~5US$ for a 1000g. <br /><br />Can anyone tell me what benefits the more expensive solutions gives you????

I always use Gatorade or Isostar as a thirst quencher and Extran Energy for energy (obviously).

I use just plain Energade. I think it is called something else in other parts olf the world. I have never really tried anything else so don't know if Energade is good or bad.

Any thoughts from others ?

Leon

I have used Octane quite extensively and found it to be very good. I am now using Cytomax and prefer it to Octane as I find it gives me more energy but I am not sure I can pay the price for it on an ongoing basis. Maybe I will use Octane to train and Cyto to race. I have tried a lot of the others but not hcome across either replenish or carbo supreme in South Africa.

Originally posted by Leon
I use just plain Energade. I think it is called something else in other parts olf the world. I have never really tried anything else so don't know if Energade is good or bad.

Any thoughts from others ?

Leon

Same here - much more variety in flavours. :)

Have tried the following:

Game - to sweet
Energade - forms to much phlegm
Fast Fuel - works fine
Winner's Fuel - same as Fast fuel, different packaging

Currently using Cytoblast - not too sweet, reasonably priced (at Dischem), easy to swallow, no build of phlegm....a major problem for me, but that would be the subject of another post!!

Can no longer afford GU, hate Vooma, hate Breakthru corn syrup!

I also like to use dried apple rings, but they are currently out of season and thus not available. Therefore I currently have a problem for the upcoming Argus!

I'll buy some new and untried go faster stuff at the Argus Expo and thus avoid having to ride at all due to diarrhea!!