What's in Your Bottle?

C

cycleboy

What sort of liquid refreshment do you carry on your rides?

Originally posted by cycleboy
What sort of liquid refreshment do you carry on your rides?
I used to carry Gatorade, but I didn't think it had that much of an impact. Also there is the issue of sugary, acidic drinks in a dry mouth contributing to dental caries. I now use water and chew chewing gum to keep my mouth moist. I have the Gatorade when I get home.

Just water here. Sometimes I'll bring a 2nd bottle with a light mixture of gatorade, but it usually only gets sipped at during the stop lights.

Replenish, very much like Cytomax, only much cheaper 'cause it's localy made.

Sometimes a watered down solution of Gatorade and sometimes Propel a Gatorade product. I like the propel the best , very low carb and sodium content.

allsports dyna might for all rides and intervals, allsports advanced amino load for afterwards!

hydration has always been the topic of conversation with any sport. But one of the important thing to remember is that with cycling we release alot of anitoxidants and nutrients that need to be replace ASAP. So one thing to think about is electrolyte replacement rather than just fluids. Although water is a great it lacks the nutrients that we need to ride the way some of us do.

I like to use Stamina it is full of antioxidants that we need along with some good nutrients. The only draw back, its low in the carbs, which is what we need to sustain energy.

I pre-hydrate on 8 oz gatorade + 8 oz water. I use accellerade on the ride. It's the one thing that seems to work consistently for me no matter how long or short the ride is.

I get pretty light-headed on just gatorade, and often come down with a bad headache after a three hour ride. On rare occasions, I take gu or some gel/candy bar with water, but that doesn't work as well.

Originally posted by ouzo
Replenish, very much like Cytomax, only much cheaper 'cause it's localy made.

I use just Malto Dextrin. it has no taste.

you can get it if you look. I also use Ultra Fuel but dilute it down unless I am going to do a 6 hour race then I'll pound a bottle right before the race starts. its about 400 calories.

i drink water all day and all night, i keep my water bottels with me and sip through out the day. i found that not staying hydrated a few glasses of water before a ride does you no good. on the bike i use half gator aid and water mix or gu20.

Originally posted by JuneBug
I use just Malto Dextrin. it has no taste.

you can get it if you look. I also use Ultra Fuel but dilute it down unless I am going to do a 6 hour race then I'll pound a bottle right before the race starts. its about 400 calories.

Malto dextrin is what the allsports dyna-might is, good stuff, havent bonked on it yet.

Maltodextrins are Polmers of Glucose (Dextrose). They are usually derived from Corn Starch. The Corn Starch is first cooked; acids and/or enzymes (usually Alpha-Amylase) are then employed to break the Corn Starch into smaller Polymers. Maltodextrins are classified as Oligosaccharides.

The Glycemic Index of Maltodextrins is 150.

Potentially Toxic Effects of Maltodextrins

The toxicity of Maltodextrins stems from their very high Glycemic Index of 150 – the Glycemic Index of Maltodextrins is one of the highest yet measured.

Metabolism

Excessive consumption of Maltodextrins may cause elevated Blood Sugar levels.
Excessive consumption of Maltodextrins may increase the risk of Diabetes Mellitus Type 2.
Excessive consumption of Maltodextrins may cause elevated Insulin levels.

In-Tele-Health © 2004 (from Hyperhealth CD-ROM)

I use to use Coke that I had opened and let go flat cut 50/50 with water, now I put approx. 2-3 tablespoons of honey into a cycling bottle and let it mix...

Originally posted by Cipher
I use to use Coke that I had opened and let go flat cut 50/50 with water, now I put approx. 2-3 tablespoons of honey into a cycling bottle and let it mix...
Just checking....Plain water + honey ???
I tried the flat coke and water combo when I ran a marathon last year. It worked. There's not only the sugar but a small amount of caffeine which supposedly helps the body utilise fat as fuel rather than just the stored glycogen.

Originally posted by zaskar
i drink water all day and all night, i keep my water bottels with me and sip through out the day. i found that not staying hydrated a few glasses of water before a ride does you no good. on the bike i use half gator aid and water mix or gu20.

I'm not a physician but I have read it is possible to drink too much water. A female jogger in the Chicago area died last year from excessive water consumption. Basically, we have a mental switch that tells us we're not thirsty any more. When we drink water constantly we overload that switch until it no longer responds.

A pretty good indicator of hydration is urine color. Very light straw color is about right. No color means your getting more than enough.

I hope you'll accept this as just a friendly suggestion from a fellow cyclist.

Originally posted by cycleboy
I'm not a physician but I have read it is possible to drink too much water. A female jogger in the Chicago area died last year from excessive water consumption. Basically, we have a mental switch that tells us we're not thirsty any more. When we drink water constantly we overload that switch until it no longer responds.

A pretty good indicator of hydration is urine color. Very light straw color is about right. No color means your getting more than enough.

I hope you'll accept this as just a friendly suggestion from a fellow cyclist.

I saw a documentary about mammals which said something similar. Camels had somehow overcome this "water shock" as they can be very dry and then drink 200L of water in 3 minutes, which would apparently kill most animals (us included).:eek:

Originally posted by Kona_Blue
I saw a documentary about mammals which said something similar. Camels had somehow overcome this "water shock" as they can be very dry and then drink 200L of water in 3 minutes, which would apparently kill most animals (us included).:eek:

Yeah, I doubt I could survive drinking 200 litres of water even if I took *30* minutes to do it.