What's In Your Wedge?

anthonyjf

Aug 16, 2004
On a normal road trip (2-3 hours for me), what items do you carry in your wedge?? I bring 1 spare tube, 1 multi-tool, 2 tire levers, 1 co2 pump with 1 cart., my cell phone, and a couple of bucks.

Multi tool, spoke key, tube, patches and tyre levers, mobile phone (cell phone), couple quid, and a soft cloth to wrap them in because it drives me nuts when they're banging about inside. When the wife comes along, anything of absolutely no use whatsoever gets stuffed in aswell.:) When it's with the wife and kid in the trailer, jeeez, the list of **** we pack could go on forever.

Bill.

Spare tube, patches, 2 tire levers, C02 inflator, set of folding allen wrenches, and wallet. Come to think about it, I have no idea why I still carry patches and a tube. I only have room for one C02 cartidge. Cell phone, keys, and food go in the jersey.

Patches, tube, 1 tire lever, couple bucks and my driver's license and military ID. In my jersey I carry my cell, a couple of tubes of Gu and usually a banana (hey, I get hungry!) On my rear valve I keep one of those presta-schraeder adapter things. When I'm mountain biking, I carry that, plus a multi tool, spoke wrench, chain tool, a little duct tape, a little Maglite and a first aid kit.

Spare tube, hex wrench, tire patches, tire levers. And there's just enough space to squeeze in my cleat covers.

seat wedge:

two tubes, two cans of air, patches, levers, dirty sock for handling the chain so i dont get grease all over my hands, topeak alien tool.

jersey pockets:

iPod shuffle, dogtag, visa, 20 bucks in cash, cell phone, arm warmers and neoprene rain booties (as needed), bananas and clif shots, garage door opener, mini pump

thats for long rides, for commuting pretty much the same except no food. and i bring my camel back MULE with work underclothes and security badge and work keys and some bike lights

the reasons for the two tubes rather than one are:

a) the obvious- double flats suck, esp when you're 30 miles from town on a country road.

b) good to have one spare in case i pass a rider whos flatted out without a tube... happens to me once or twice a year i'll pass somebody whos screwed, and make thier day

c) this is kinda grisly to think about, but in the event of a serious accident, a tube makes a passable tourniquet.

spare tube, multi-tool, patch kit, co2 pump, 2 tire levers. Jersey gets the keys, cell phone,credit card and auto liscence (picture ID). I don't ride in the country so I don't need to carry food. The most important thing is my cable bike lock wrapped around my stem.

i do never carry one, they are the equivalent of wearing a pocket protector to the office for a road bike.
just stuff a tube or two, wheelsmith tire levers, mini pump capable of minimaly decent inflation, id, cash, mace, food as req'd and ride. in the jersey pocket, that is. a cel phone, yes, well and good but you will not get reception up here.
no to the multi tool.
preserve the unspoilt road style, banish the bag.

anthonyjf said:
On a normal road trip (2-3 hours for me), what items do you carry in your wedge?? I bring 1 spare tube, 1 multi-tool, 2 tire levers, 1 co2 pump with 1 cart., my cell phone, and a couple of bucks.

Hypnospin said:
You'll feel really cool until you crash with a bunch of hard objects in your pockets.

badhat said:
c) this is kinda grisly to think about, but in the event of a serious accident, a tube makes a passable tourniquet.
If it comes to this I don't think it matters if it's a fresh tube.:eek: You're right about a&b though.

I will be carrying two tubes from now on. Patching is an art I am yet to master.

Hypnospin said:
i do never carry one, they are the equivalent of wearing a pocket protector to the office for a road bike.
just stuff a tube or two, wheelsmith tire levers, mini pump capable of minimaly decent inflation, id, cash, mace, food as req'd and ride. in the jersey pocket, that is. a cel phone, yes, well and good but you will not get reception up here.
no to the multi tool.

Sounds like someone has serious "I am the greatest F'ing road cyclist ever" syndrome. I bet you are one of those guys who doesn't acknowledge other riders when they pass your ass and say "hello" :) Personally when I am out of the saddle sprinting I prefer not to have 20lbs of **** hanging out in my jersey... I'll keep the bag, you can continue your life of lonely cycling.

do by all means keep the bag if you prefer, my preferrence is not, take it as you will. the stash i mention weighs 400g.

if i had 20 lbs back there i doubt i could sprint like you, even out of the saddle, given this syndrome you so describe so arrogantly.

Geoff2010 said:
Sounds like someone has serious "I am the greatest F'ing road cyclist ever" syndrome. I bet you are one of those guys who doesn't acknowledge other riders when they pass your ass and say "hello" :) Personally when I am out of the saddle sprinting I prefer not to have 20lbs of **** hanging out in my jersey... I'll keep the bag, you can continue your life of lonely cycling.

I've yet to see a serious roadie without a wedgie. Being stuck 30miles away from home and in the middle of no-where because of the lack of a multitool is no fun.

Bill.

At the risk of sounding uncool, in the wedge I carry some money, a multi-tool, a chain tool, 2 tire levers, a patch kit, a spare tube, a CO2 inflation system with about 3 cartridges, and the little hub tool that came with my Mavic wheels.

I usually carry my cell phone in a little pack velcroed to the top bar, and I wear a RoadID. My jersey pockets are reserved for snacks and such.

Oh, and if I'm using a cue sheet, I wear one of those wristbands like quarterbacks wear in football... It works well for me, but it gets the occasional comment from other riders. Like the other day a guy asked me, "What play are you supposed to call on third and long?" :D

tire levers, spare tube, patch kit, air nozzle adapter, and various hex wrenches. Thats it for me.