Whats it worth

huskies91

Feb 4, 2007
I have a buddy that wants to sell me his 2006 Specialized Pro Tarmac. It has approx 750 miles on it. It's Full Dura Ace, with Mavic Krysium Elite wheels. Has S works handlebars and there is not a scratch on it. Any ideas would be helpful.

He bought it in May 2006 for 3400 and put a bunch of upgrades into it

thanks.

huskies91 said:
I have a buddy that wants to sell me his 2006 Specialized Pro Tarmac. It has approx 750 miles on it. It's Full Dura Ace, with Mavic Krysium Elite wheels. Has S works handlebars and there is not a scratch on it. Any ideas would be helpful.

thanks.
If you want the bike, it is worth what you will pay for it.

If you do not want the bike, it is probably not worth what you will pay for it.

I have sold things to people that to me, are worthless. I am sure that I have paid for things that the person I bought them for thought they are worthless.

vadiver said:
If you want the bike, it is worth what you will pay for it.

If you do not want the bike, it is probably not worth what you will pay for it.

I have sold things to people that to me, are worthless. I am sure that I have paid for things that the person I bought them for thought they are worthless.
What a great answer! I am sure this is exactly what the OP was looking for. Message boards could be useful if it wasn't for stuff like this.

I saw a similar bike on ebay.com recently that had a starting price of $2300. It didn't sell for that price. I would check around on ebay and compare the prices. Good luck with your new purchase!

IndyRider

IndyRider said:
What a great answer! I am sure this is exactly what the OP was looking for. Message boards could be useful if it wasn't for stuff like this.

I saw a similar bike on ebay.com recently that had a starting price of $2300. It didn't sell for that price. I would check around on ebay and compare the prices. Good luck with your new purchase!

IndyRider
Think about it with the information the OP posted. I made the assumption that the OP would already have looked on eBay, posibly craig's list and any other online sales page that exists.

If the bike is the wrong size, or the OP does not really want the bike it is not worth that much. But it is something they should consider. If it is what they have always wanted, they will probably pay more then someone else because they see greater value in it.

Just because an item is being sold for substantially less than its suggested value does not make it "worth it" to me. If I want to turn around and sell it, then I should not be asking a forum for like this for its value, I should be doing research on my own.

The bike did not sell on ebay for $2,300, yet the original purchaser has already let it be known that he paid $3,400 plus upgrades. So it is probably not the same bike on ebay. To offer your "friend" less than $2,300 may (or may not be) insulting.

Answering the quesion of what something is worth on a forum like this is like asking what is the best seat/frame material/size etc. It cannot be done. The buyer sets the value.

huskies91 said:

thanks.

Many people selling used high end bikes don't realize the depreciation that occurs. You can buy a new 2006 $3400 retail bike in a shop now for at least 25-30% of retail if you shop around since the 2007 stock is coming in. That is with full dealer service, warranty, stem/saddle swapout, maybe some accessories thrown in etc....Personally I would never pay more than 50% of retail for a used bike.

Not that you should try to rip off your friend, but if you love the bike and it fits, maybe $2000-2200 max if it is perfect. Recent eBay sales have gone for $1526-$2300, including two DA/Ksyrium equipped for $1775.

Sometimes buying from friends is not the best thing.

Thanks for the responses. I know there is depreciation and I'm cool with that. I heard the Tarmac is real good and it seemed like a Dura Ace was a nice upgrade but was looking for some feedback since i'm relatively new to the cycling scene. I know "worth" is all relative. It was a very philosophical reply although not too helpful. The bike seems "worth" it to me since I was looking for a Tarmac and don't want to buy new since it's $3800 locally for 2007 models. Thank you all for your responses.

huskies91 said:
<snip>The bike seems "worth" it to me since I was looking for a Tarmac and don't want to buy new since it's $3800 locally for 2007 models. <snip>
That is the point.

It seems worth it to you. Although the "value" to others is somewhere between $1,700 and $2,300. That is a big difference.

If you are happy, it is worth it.

huskies91 said:

The bike MAY be worth HALF of what your friend has invested in it ...

A lot does depend on whether or not you were seriously looking at the particular bike (or, current equivalent) BEFORE he mentioned that he would sell you his bike.

The wheels are mid-range ... I would personally opt for Campy shifters, but would factor in the hoped-for-differential between the sale of the DA shifters (presumably, 10-speed) and a pair of Campagnolo shifters (bling factor will affect cost) + conversion cassette (my reckoning is that the 10-speed Shimano rear derailleur can substitute for a Campagnolo rear derailleur).

$2000US would probably be generous on your part ... $1700US would probably be fair ... less would be generous on his part PRESUMING the frame is the right size for YOU. I think a shop MIGHT give him 1/3rd the retail value on a trade-in if he was lucky ...

FWIW. For $2000-or-more, I'd be looking at a used Colnago/Pinarello/etc. (or, even a Bianchi) frameset, buy a Centaur OR Chorus group (depending on your budget & sensibilities) + a set of wheels. You can get a lot of nice, barely-used framesets for under $1000 without too much effort -- heck, you can get a lot of nice, barely-used bikes for around $1000US.

huskies91 said:
Thanks for the responses. I know there is depreciation and I'm cool with that. I heard the Tarmac is real good and it seemed like a Dura Ace was a nice upgrade but was looking for some feedback since i'm relatively new to the cycling scene. I know "worth" is all relative. It was a very philosophical reply although not too helpful. The bike seems "worth" it to me since I was looking for a Tarmac and don't want to buy new since it's $3800 locally for 2007 models. Thank you all for your responses.

Depreciation is a good thing for you--the potential buyer of the used bike. Not so good for the seller. I think that I will never buy a new bike again. There are so many guys out there like your friend you buy a great bike then look to unload it.

And keep in mind that if you pay "too much" because he is your friend, at worst you don't like the bike and sell it for "the right price", losing relatively little compared to the original depreciation.

I can't believe no one has asked you how much he's asking for it!

I'd let him throw the first number out; only he knows how much of a hit he'll take in order to sell it. It's probably one of those deals where if he could get a good price (i.e. over market value) he'd sell it, otherwise it might not be 'worth it' to him.

If he starts at $2900, then you'll know it's probably not even worth bothering with.

Good luck, and make sure you take it out for a good spin first to make sure it suits you. Also, and I just have to say this, if you are fairly new to riding, a DA-equipped bike is hardly necessary, though it certainly looks good... :)