What's legal and what's not?

Seija

Mar 13, 2016
Hi. I'm looking into getting a bike for personal transportation instead of a car. I live in indianapolis, indiana. The area I live in doesn't have bike lanes. Only one road has a lane. But I was wondering if it was OK for me to use a bike to go to work. The roads to my workplace max speed limit was 45. I don't see people riding bikes in my area either so I don't know very much on what's allowed and not.

Rookie cyclist attempting to commute on 45 MPH posted roads with more like 50-55 MPH actual speeds during rush hour = "Are your life insurance premiums paid up and will you kindly name CampyBob as your beneficiary?"/

What's legal? Riding your bike and following all the traffic laws is legal. Using more than the required lighting, Hi-Vis clothing and all the cycling safety gear available is advisable. Aside from Americans being averse to exercise, there's a reason you don't see many cycle commuters...it's dangerous. And it takes preparation, planning and several skill sets not practiced by Mid-West urban dwellers.

I would advise you to get in touch with your local bike clubs, city bike commuter council or equivalent organizations, local representative of the League of American Bicyclist, etc. These folks can provide you with the knowledge that will make your commute survivable and possibly enjoyable. They know the safest routes and can educate to you as to what is required to arrive alive.

Provide more details as to the distance you intend to cover, the terrain type, your cycling experience level and other pertinent information and other members on the forum can fill you in with their commuting experiences.

Thats a great plan it'll boost your stamina and generally your health.
I guess if you're not breaking any laws then everything would be fine. But, it's best to find out first about the biking regulations in your area.

I agree with the advice to get in touch with local bike clubs or organization and get tips, mentorship from experienced riders. Many of my local roads have speeds in the 55 range, but I've gotten use to it and know the local terrain pretty well, mainly how busy roads are, which ones have pot holes, etc... Having no other option will be tough. Most experienced riders know when its a bad idea to ride. I started commuting 6-8 miles a few days a week recently, but refuse to on Fridays. People are in a rush and are more liable to drive recklessly in my area.

Not trying to scare you off, road cycling is a great thing. I would seek advice from local cyclist before anything else.

I would ask LBS's, bike clubs etc as was already mentioned, and try to find alternative routes which may be a bit longer but they might be more safer.

You might not be able to find a bike path or lane that goes to where you need to go, but you should be able to find a road with a wider shoulder to ride on if the one you're talking about doesn't have shoulder.

I'm weird, but I use to ride on fast roads in Los Angeles city and areas all around there before there were bike lanes, even rode on highways (that allowed bikes of course) that had cars buzzing by at 65 to 70 mph. After a short while you just get hardened over the speeding cars, or in the city where cars were speeding much faster than the speed limit and a lot closer to you since a highway has the widest shoulders. I don't think anything of it even to this day 35 plus years since left LA, but that experience made me a better rider...and I survived to tell you about it! LOL!!!