What's low carb?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by ***** charles, Jan 28, 2006.

  1. Hi all,

    For a male in his 50's, what is considered low carb?

    charles.....

    Tags:

  2. Marengo

    Marengo Guest

    ***** charles wrote:
    || Hi all,
    || For a male in his 50's, what is considered low carb?
    || charles.....

    In a nutshell? Cutting out all sugar and starchy foods.

    --
    Peter
    Website: http://member.cox.net/pmarengo

  3. "Marengo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > ***** charles wrote:
    > || Hi all,
    > || For a male in his 50's, what is considered low carb?
    > || charles.....
    >
    > In a nutshell? Cutting out all sugar and starchy foods.
    >
    > --
    > Peter
    > Website: http://member.cox.net/pmarengo

    Then what does a vegetarian eat?

    charles.....

  4. Studley

    Studley Guest

    ***** charles wrote:

    > "Marengo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]

    >>In a nutshell? Cutting out all sugar and starchy foods.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Peter
    >>Website: http://member.cox.net/pmarengo

    > Then what does a vegetarian eat?
    >
    > charles.....

    You eat meat, cheese, eggs etc.. Forget the vegetarian diet. It's a dumb
    diet in the first place and it's not good for you. Vegetarians die younger.

  5. ***** charles wrote:
    > Then what does a vegetarian eat?

    Low-carb generally is somewhere in the vicinity of 20-100 g of
    carbohydrate per day. What is good for you depends on why you're doing
    low-carb, weight-loss, diabetes, high cholesterol, and how your body
    reacts, etc.

    As for the vegetarian thing... Google this group about it. There was a
    vegetarian poster here a year or so ago who posted lots of recipe ideas
    and such. I think she also did fish, so wasn't a strict vegetarian,
    though lots of her recipes were vegetarian.

    As far as I've heard, vegetarian is do-able as low-carb, but not vegan.
    Apparently, if you cut out eggs and dairy and such, you can't get
    enough protein as a vegan without eating a relatively high carb level
    as the plants that contain protein also contain a lot of carbs.

    The book "Protein Power" addresses vegetarians too, but it's limited.
    IMO, it is the best overall introduction to low-carb diets if you
    haven't read any of the books yet.

    Again, it depends on what you want to do. If you don't need to lose
    weight, control blood sugar or lower cholesterol or such... you might
    try the Zone, which isn't exactly low-carb, but is lower than most
    diets. And likely easier to do vegetarian than most of the other
    low-carb diets.

  6. Saffire

    Saffire Guest

    In article <%[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > ***** charles wrote:
    >
    > > "Marengo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > >>In a nutshell? Cutting out all sugar and starchy foods.
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>Peter
    > >>Website: http://member.cox.net/pmarengo

    > > Then what does a vegetarian eat?
    > >
    > > charles.....

    > You eat meat, cheese, eggs etc.. Forget the vegetarian diet. It's a dumb
    > diet in the first place and it's not good for you. Vegetarians die younger.

    Don't listen to him. Vegetables are an integral part of a low-carb
    diet. Eating low-carb while staying vegetarian is a challenge, but some
    have done it.

    --
    Saffire
    205/134/125

    *** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
    in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

  7. DB

    DB Guest

    "***** charles" <[email protected]> wrote in

    > Hi all,
    >
    > For a male in his 50's, what is considered low carb?

    In reality, it's all about getting back to basics and eating real foods, in
    respectable portions and eating because we are truely hungry, not to snack
    on a bag of Ruffles & chip dip because it's entertaining.

    We're just doing what should be natural!
    --
    LC since 1/14/06
    277/264/220

  8. Glassman

    Glassman Guest

    "***** charles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all,
    >
    > For a male in his 50's, what is considered low carb?
    >
    > charles.....

    I think it depends on if you're trying to lose weight, or just eat
    healthier. I'm your age and have been doing LC for 7 years with great
    results. Most of us here think that sugar and starch is the real evil in our
    diets, and we avoid them. Why not go out and get yourself a good book on it
    like the original Atkins book, which is the basis for most of these LC diets
    on the best sellers list. Even if you don't need to lose weight, it's very
    interesting reading and challenges what we were brought up on.

    --
    "Don't get me wrong... I'm SNARKY"
    JK Sinrod

  9. My idea of low carb is to avoid the refined, highly processed,
    manufactured fake foods, most of which are high carb.

    Real foods, the way our grand parents used to eat is a very healthy way
    of eating.

    Fake foods include, and is not limited to soda, pasta, white bread,
    cakes, sugar, etc.

    Eat real meats and any fresh carbs. Fresh carbs are any fresh produce.
    Fruits and vegetables. Salads and greens.

    It is that simple of a concept. Real food does not sit on the shelf for
    months on end without going bad. You have to buy it every day or three.
    It requires more prep but contains tons of real nutrition. And tastes
    great naturally. You don't need to add teaspoons of sugars to make it
    palatable.

    Instant fake foods last forever on the shelf and only needs to be
    boiled or have hot water and/ or milk and sugar added, and contains no
    useful nutrition to speak of.

    You don't have to worry about fats. You can eat full fat chicken soup
    and get the great nutrition that chicken soup gives you. You eat real
    meats that fill you up and provides great proteins. Eggs contain the
    best proteins for us. And you eat fresh salads and produce that
    actually is nutritious and tasty.

    Once you go low-carb you'll wonder why you fixated on gummy white bread
    and pasta.

    You can eat like a king on low carb and you will be healthier for it.

    TC

  10. ***** charles wrote:
    > Marengo wrote:

    > > In a nutshell? Cutting out all sugar and starchy foods.

    Depending on who you ask, low carb can start as high as
    100 grams per day.

    > Then what does a vegetarian eat?

    There are vegitarian low carbers. It's more work but it's doable.
    Think tofu.

    The question becomes why you're a vegitarian and why a vegitarian
    would consider low carbing in the first place. If you're a vegitarian
    for religious reasons why not go with one of the traditional ethnic
    cooking styles that are vegitarian instead? If you're a vegitarian
    out of some notion that it's "more healthy" than why not drop that
    false notion if you decide to go low carb? The reason why you're a
    vegitarian in the first place is crucial.

  11. "Doug Freyburger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > ***** charles wrote:
    > > Marengo wrote:

    > > > In a nutshell? Cutting out all sugar and starchy foods.

    > Depending on who you ask, low carb can start as high as
    > 100 grams per day.
    >
    > > Then what does a vegetarian eat?

    > There are vegitarian low carbers. It's more work but it's doable.
    > Think tofu.
    >
    > The question becomes why you're a vegitarian and why a vegitarian
    > would consider low carbing in the first place. If you're a vegitarian
    > for religious reasons why not go with one of the traditional ethnic
    > cooking styles that are vegitarian instead? If you're a vegitarian
    > out of some notion that it's "more healthy" than why not drop that
    > false notion if you decide to go low carb? The reason why you're a
    > vegitarian in the first place is crucial.

    Two reasons:
    1. religious
    2. when my dad (now dead) was in med school, he used to bring
    home slides of all the bugs and wiggly things that one could get
    eating meat. I was very young under 4, and it left a very huge
    impression on me.

    thanks for the other advice.

    later...

  12. ***** charles wrote:
    > "Doug Freyburger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > > The question becomes why you're a vegitarian and why a vegitarian
    > > would consider low carbing in the first place. If you're a vegitarian
    > > for religious reasons why not go with one of the traditional ethnic
    > > cooking styles that are vegitarian instead?

    > Two reasons:
    > 1. religious

    That's the important one. Stick with your religious way of
    eating. It's good for the soul.

    Low carbing while vegitarian tends to be boring at the start. The
    early phases where you're supposed to get as low in carbs as
    possible end up being tofu fried in various types of oil to increase
    the fat content to make it filling with the amount you need to
    stay low enough in carb. Only when you're up to maybe 50 do
    you have room to work to make the food interesting.

  13. Luna

    Luna Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Doug Freyburger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > ***** charles wrote:
    > > "Doug Freyburger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > The question becomes why you're a vegitarian and why a vegitarian
    > > > would consider low carbing in the first place. If you're a vegitarian
    > > > for religious reasons why not go with one of the traditional ethnic
    > > > cooking styles that are vegitarian instead?

    > > Two reasons:
    > > 1. religious

    > That's the important one. Stick with your religious way of
    > eating. It's good for the soul.
    >
    > Low carbing while vegitarian tends to be boring at the start. The
    > early phases where you're supposed to get as low in carbs as
    > possible end up being tofu fried in various types of oil to increase
    > the fat content to make it filling with the amount you need to
    > stay low enough in carb. Only when you're up to maybe 50 do
    > you have room to work to make the food interesting.

    You don't have to start super low to do low-carb. Charles could just
    start at 50 or 60 and see how it goes from there.