What's More Plausible...?

My_Aching_Fiets

Jul 14, 2005
HTML:
OK, don't flame me before reading the whole thing.

First of all, I'm not denying that cycling has way too many cheats and crooks, and Landis COULD very well be one of them.

BUT...

Of the following two scenarios, which sounds more plausible:

1) The overall favorite of the TdF, knowing full well that he will have to drop trou and take a whiz-quiz, decides to dope anyway, essentially proving himself dumber than the dumbest NFL lineman in history.

-or-

2) The powers that be in European cycling, being fed up with yet another American champion, drop a neat little wad of Euros on the table of the "independent" testing lab and, with a nod and a wink, eliminate the American champion by essentially "buying" a positive test for Landis.

Seriously, what checks are in place to ensure that the TESTING process is "clean"? Corruption in sports tends to run deeper amongst the actual organizations than the athletes themselves.

My_Aching_Fiets said:
HTML:

First of all, I'm not denying that cycling has way too many cheats and crooks, and Landis COULD very well be one of them.

BUT...

1) The overall favorite of the TdF, knowing full well that he will have to drop trou and take a whiz-quiz, decides to dope anyway, essentially proving himself dumber than the dumbest NFL lineman in history.

-or-

2) The powers that be in European cycling, being fed up with yet another American champion, drop a neat little wad of Euros on the table of the "independent" testing lab and, with a nod and a wink, eliminate the American champion by essentially "buying" a positive test for Landis.

Seriously, what checks are in place to ensure that the TESTING process is "clean"? Corruption in sports tends to run deeper amongst the actual organizations than the athletes themselves.

I've often thought, what if the riders should take their own urines at the same time under a separate chain of custody and preserve them under rider funded scrutiny...I think if I were Lance I would have.
I mean at this point I dont think the French lab could afford to screw around, but the finding itself in not that bizarre in endurance athletes.

There is the possibility an American rider is doped, so it is obviously an attempt by a bunch of sneaky Europeans to screw the American. :rolleyes:

Come on. Wait for the "B" test.

And if it comes back positive, then start with the conspiracy theories.... it is obvious that Floyd would never dope, you can see it. Guys with facial hair like that NEVER consider doping... :p

Come on...

bobke said:
I've often thought, what if the riders should take their own urines at the same time under a separate chain of custody and preserve them under rider funded scrutiny...I think if I were Lance I would have.
I mean at this point I dont think the French lab could afford to screw around, but the finding itself in not that bizarre in endurance athletes.
What's more plausible? That OJ killed his wife or that the sneaky lab screwed around with the evidence??

nns1400 said:
What's more plausible? That OJ killed his wife or that the sneaky lab screwed around with the evidence??
The real question is: was it a French lab tech working in LA or not?

My_Aching_Fiets said:
HTML:

BUT...

-or-

I agree 100%, French just don't or do not want to get it! They need a European[ French]champion more than Landis needs to dope.

I remember reading that Lance saved his own samples throughout his career because of his distrust for the french lab. I could be mistaken though

I am so happy to see that everyone here is considering things so seriously. Obviously there is no chance that Floyd could be doping. He is an American, ergo can not have doped. Ever. Must be the French.

Come on, wait for the counter-test. This conspiracy theory is really beginning to be silly...

schwagger said:
I remember reading that Lance saved his own samples throughout his career because of his distrust for the french lab. I could be mistaken though
Is his home refrigerator filled with jars of urine? Right next to the milk and the cold cuts?

If so then why did he not dig through his fridge, find the 1999 samples, and have them tested for EPO to prove he did not dope?

Bro Deal said:
If so then why did he not dig through his fridge, find the 1999 samples, and have them tested for EPO to prove he did not dope?
He doesn't have to. He does not have that 'doping' kind of look. He is innocent by default. He could not have taken EPO. He had cancer, people who had cancer never dope. It is simply a French fabrication. They wanted Virenque to have cancer and win the TdF seven times. It is simply jealousy.

schwagger said:
I agree 100%, French just don't or do not want to get it! They need a European[ French]champion more than Landis needs to dope.

Do the French need to see their tour go down in disgrace? Which is happening. This is like Tonya Harding whacking Nancy Kerrigan and then totally sucking in the Olympics. She would have had to use that crow bar a few more times before she could have won. Landis being stripped would give them a Spanish champion. Did the French even make the top 10 on GC? Were they gonna get Pereiro, then Kloden, then Sastre....Or are you saying other Euros are okay with them. What about Australia? That's kind of a gray area, I suppose. If Landis could not win without doping, then he would "need to" more than they need to outright fabricate results. I am not saying he did it, but I am saying that the French conspiracy thing is getting old. Personally I feel that is giving them a large benefit of the doubt regarding the competence to do so. (was that comment American enough for you schwagger?)

My_Aching_Fiets said:
HTML:

BUT...

-or-

The powers that be in European cycling would be absolutely screwing themselves by doing something like this. Having another American champion may not be the most popular thing for some cycling fans, but having possibly the worst doping scandal in recent history- throwing doubt on the winner or possibly disqualifying him- would be even worse for the race as a whole.

At this point, I find a conspiracy theory to be less plausible than a theory that says Landis doped knowingly, but I still find it plausible that some kind of other explanation will be confirmed. I still presume and hope that he's innocent and that some medical or physiological anomaly explains the positive test. But I'm starting to feel like I need a degree in molecular biology, sports physiology or pharmacology in order to really know whether the cyclists I admire are on the up and up. In the shadow of the doping scandal on the eve of the tour, having something like this pop up just makes me feel bad to be a fan of pro cycling. I want to believe that this race was won by the best rider for the right reasons- ability, effort and desire.

The 'French Laboratory' (as imagined by some posters on this board):
182414.jpg

nns1400 said:
Do the French need to see their tour go down in disgrace? Which is happening. This is like Tonya Harding whacking Nancy Kerrigan and then totally sucking in the Olympics. She would have had to use that crow bar a few more times before she could have won. Landis being stripped would give them a Spanish champion. Did the French even make the top 10 on GC?
Yeah they had 2 in the top 10.

This is great 12:20 and 6 more hours to go, these threads are helping the day fly by! I can't beleive many of you take my sh*t seriously,very amusing! I for one am a proponent of the Bode Miller theory of "make it all legal and even out the playing field".

schwagger said:
This is great 12:20 and 6 more hours to go, these threads are helping the day fly by! I can't beleive many of you take my sh*t seriously,very amusing! QUOTE]

Must be because you are so intellectual...

My_Aching_Fiets said:

Yes, of course. :rolleyes: "The powers that be" have nothing better to do, than to accuse the TdF champion of doping, just because he is an American, completely ignoring, that because of this cycling loses the last tiny bit of credibility it still had after the Fuentes scandal.

Just for your interest, most Europeans didn't have any problem that an American won the Tour. They had the problem with Armstrong as a person.

I will buy the conspiracy thing if Landis is subsequently CLEARED.

The test results are legit, even Landis knows this.

This "scandal" goes deeper than meets the eye. The "French" have no hidden agenda, but politics, money, and stature do.

The UCI and the French will let us all down if they whitewash this ****.

UCI, GRAB YOUR BALLS, I KNOW I HAVE A PAIR.....'CAUSE I JUST GOT KICKED THERE, AND IT FRIGGIN HURTS.

France is not our enemy...dope is.

Erzulis Boat said:
I will buy the conspiracy thing if Landis is subsequently CLEARED.

The test results are legit, even Landis knows this.

This "scandal" goes deeper than meets the eye. The "French" have no hidden agenda, but politics, money, and stature do.

The UCI and the French will let us all down if they whitewash this ****.

UCI, GRAB YOUR BALLS, I KNOW I HAVE A PAIR.....'CAUSE I JUST GOT KICKED THERE, AND IT FRIGGIN HURTS.

France is not our enemy...dope is.

Good post.