What's my bike worth?

Ethan

Guest
I have a 10spd KHS GranSport bike purchased new in 1988 for about $180.
I've hardly ridden it at all in the 12 years since I graduated college. It
needs new tires. The pedal mechanism is wobbly. The brakes need to be
adjusted, if not replaced, as they rub on one side. Back tire needs a
couple spokes. It needs a chain, as the one I had broke. The shifting
levers give too much resistance, and I'm not sure all 10 speeds are
available.

Does this bike have any value as it is? If so, I'll sell it on the local
Craigslist. If not, I guess Goodwill will get it.

Ethan wrote:
> I have a 10spd KHS GranSport bike purchased new in 1988 for about
> $180. I've hardly ridden it at all in the 12 years since I graduated
> college. It needs new tires. The pedal mechanism is wobbly. The
> brakes need to be adjusted, if not replaced, as they rub on one side.
> Back tire needs a couple spokes. It needs a chain, as the one I had
> broke. The shifting levers give too much resistance, and I'm not
> sure all 10 speeds are available.
>
> Does this bike have any value as it is? If so, I'll sell it on the
> local Craigslist. If not, I guess Goodwill will get it.

Honestly, it doesn't sound too hot. I'd suggest giving it to charity --
preferably a "cycling specific" one if possible (Bikes for Kids or
whatever).

Bill S.

Ethan wrote:
> I have a 10spd KHS GranSport bike purchased new in 1988 for about $180.
> I've hardly ridden it at all in the 12 years since I graduated college. It
> needs new tires. The pedal mechanism is wobbly. The brakes need to be
> adjusted, if not replaced, as they rub on one side. Back tire needs a
> couple spokes. It needs a chain, as the one I had broke. The shifting
> levers give too much resistance, and I'm not sure all 10 speeds are
> available.
>
> Does this bike have any value as it is? If so, I'll sell it on the local
> Craigslist. If not, I guess Goodwill will get it.

Assuming similar quality parts to the originals, new tires, tubes,
brake pads, chain, shifter and brake cables and replacement spokes will
be around $80 to $100. This does NOT include any labor, and the bike
may well need new pedals and a new freewheel. Assuming all the other
parts can be made functional, you would still have a bike less worth
less than $100 (assuming a knowledgeable buyer).

A good project for someone who has mechanical skills, access to
inexpensive used but still functional parts, and wants a bike that is
not attractive to thieves.

--
Tom Sherman

Ethan wrote:

> Does this bike have any value as it is? If so, I'll sell it on the local
> Craigslist. If not, I guess Goodwill will get it.

There's no cost to try Craigslist, so I'd list it for a few weeks and if
it doesn't sell then give it away.

In article <[email protected]>,
Ethan <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have a 10spd KHS GranSport bike purchased new in 1988 for about $180.
> I've hardly ridden it at all in the 12 years since I graduated college. It
> needs new tires. The pedal mechanism is wobbly. The brakes need to be
> adjusted, if not replaced, as they rub on one side. Back tire needs a
> couple spokes. It needs a chain, as the one I had broke. The shifting
> levers give too much resistance, and I'm not sure all 10 speeds are
> available.
>
> Does this bike have any value as it is? If so, I'll sell it on the local
> Craigslist. If not, I guess Goodwill will get it.

In its present state I'd say that, unless the prospective buyer is
mechanically inclined and undaunted by the KHS's rehabilitation, you
may have trouble giving the bike away. If there are no takers even at a
nominal price, perhaps you can it dispose of the KHS piecemeal, selling
it for parts.

Luke

Is there an equivalent to the automobile's "Kelly Blue Book" or "Edmunds
Guide" for used bicycles ?

For example, I'm seriously considering getting a new bike [I like the
Specialized Sequoia] and would like to get a general idea of what I
might get for selling my present one (for the record, a Trek 7200 bought
new in 2003 currently with 3000 miles in decent shape and good working
order....but my question here is a general one).

Occasionally I check Ebay to try and see what the market is but
generally speaking there doesn't seem to be anything directly comparable
listed.

Do bicycle dealers take trade-ins like car dealers, or will I have to
sell it myself via classifieds, etc. ?

Alternatively, if I make a charitable donation --- what value would I
use in itemizing my tax deductions ? Etc., etc.

Will watch for replies.

Justa Lurker wrote:
> Is there an equivalent to the automobile's "Kelly Blue Book" or "Edmunds
> Guide" for used bicycles ?
>
> For example, I'm seriously considering getting a new bike [I like the
> Specialized Sequoia] and would like to get a general idea of what I
> might get for selling my present one (for the record, a Trek 7200 bought
> new in 2003 currently with 3000 miles in decent shape and good working
> order....but my question here is a general one).
>
> Occasionally I check Ebay to try and see what the market is but
> generally speaking there doesn't seem to be anything directly comparable
> listed.
>
> Do bicycle dealers take trade-ins like car dealers, or will I have to
> sell it myself via classifieds, etc. ?
>
> Alternatively, if I make a charitable donation --- what value would I
> use in itemizing my tax deductions ? Etc., etc.
>
> Will watch for replies.

I was going to ignore this but seriously, any somewhat ordinary bike
becomes nearly worthless after you have purchased it, with the exception
of bikes like Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, etc. If I tried to trade in
something at my LBS he would probably laugh, give me a $5.00 discount,
and put it in his parts bin in the back. As for a tax credit, if it
isn't registered like a car, I seriously doubt that you will get
anything more than a big laugh from the tax people.
I actually doubt that they would give you a break for donating a Lance
Armstrong signed Trek. It just isn't in their nature.
Bill

Lewis aka [email protected] wrote:
> You could always donate it to someone who wants to make a LWB recumbent
> like the ones Tom Sherman rides.

Like this <http://www.ransbikes.com/Gallery/Archive/Sherman.htm>?

Actually, it would be more like the yellow LWB that Lewis rides (or
used to ride), as that bike was homebuilt:
<http://www.bikeforest.com/limey.jpg>.

Note that I am wearing cycling shoes, unlike Lewis who had cleats
surgically implanted into his feet. ;)

--
Tom Sherman - Behind the Cheddar Curtain

Justa Lurker wrote:
> Is there an equivalent to the automobile's "Kelly Blue Book" or "Edmunds
> Guide" for used bicycles ?
>
> For example, I'm seriously considering getting a new bike [I like the
> Specialized Sequoia] and would like to get a general idea of what I
> might get for selling my present one (for the record, a Trek 7200 bought
> new in 2003 currently with 3000 miles in decent shape and good working
> order....but my question here is a general one).
>
> Occasionally I check Ebay to try and see what the market is but
> generally speaking there doesn't seem to be anything directly comparable
> listed.
>
> Do bicycle dealers take trade-ins like car dealers, or will I have to
> sell it myself via classifieds, etc. ?
>
> Alternatively, if I make a charitable donation --- what value would I
> use in itemizing my tax deductions ? Etc., etc.
>
> Will watch for replies.

Isn't the '03 7200 still about the same as the current 7200? I was told
that your tax deduction is the lesser of your original cost or the value
now, just like when you donate old clothes, a broken appliance, etc.
Usually the current market value is going to be less that what you paid
for it new.

One of the local shops will allow trade ins on brands they currently
sell. You might check this out if you have several shops to choose from.

Thanks to those who replied. I appreciate the feedback very much.

"Ethan" <[email protected]> writes:

>I have a 10spd KHS GranSport bike purchased new in 1988 for about $180.
>Does this bike have any value as it is? If so, I'll sell it on the local
>Craigslist. If not, I guess Goodwill will get it.

Of course it has value. It would fetch somewhere between $5 and $15
on ebay, easily. plus $35 shipping. if it sold. good luck.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Justa Lurker <[email protected]> writes:

>Is there an equivalent to the automobile's "Kelly Blue Book" or "Edmunds
> Guide" for used bicycles ?

You need an ebay account. go to advanced search, completed listings,
and search for your bike. If you know of another bike with similar
parts, you can browse those too. Having an ebay account allows you to
see the final sales price of the bike, which approximates the value.
that value in reality is only valid to the ebay audience; a local
non-ebay sale would bring a lower price.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Ethan wrote:

I have a 10spd KHS GranSport bike purchased new in 1988 for about
$180. I've hardly ridden it at all in the 12 years since I graduated
college. It needs new tires. The pedal mechanism is wobbly. The brakes
need to be adjusted, if not replaced, as they rub on one side. Back tire
needs a couple spokes. It needs a chain, as the one I had broke. The
shifting levers give too much resistance, and I'm not sure all 10 speeds
are available.

Does this bike have any value as it is? If so, I'll sell it on the
local Craigslist. If not, I guess Goodwill will get it.

If you spend about $75. on tires and parts and put in a couple of
afternoons restoring it, you might be able to sell it for $15. at a
garage sale.

Steve McDonald