Whats my ZONE?

chuy

May 7, 2003
OK, my max HR is 194, resting 54. My Upper Lactate Threshold is 82% of max which is about 182. Now my question is how do I find the lower Lactate Threshold value and and what should the zone after tempo be called? Also correct me if I'm wrong in my zones:

Recovery: 117-147
Aerobic: 148-160
Tempo: 161-166
LT:182

Originally posted by chuy
OK, my max HR is 194, resting 54. My Upper Lactate Threshold is 82% of max which is about 182. Now my question is how do I find the lower Lactate Threshold value and and what should the zone after tempo be called? Also correct me if I'm wrong in my zones:

Recovery: 117-147
Aerobic: 148-160
Tempo: 161-166
LT:182

Your lactate threshold is a single point (the point where lactate starts accumulating in the blood) therefore isn't a zone.

Have you looked at the 'formal' HR zone systems, like the British Cycling ones based only on Max HR? Try using these Zones, unless you go to an exercise physiologist that will be able to determine where your LT is and the HR you should ride at to develop it.

Check out this tool for calculating your 'BC Zones' (used by Chris Boardman and Peter Keen prior to Power)... http://www.abcc.freeserve.co.uk/hrcalc.html

It also has breif noteson use and duration. Make sure you put in your real Max HR rather than your age/sex.

OMG! I just ran mine (MHR = ~190).... I can barely even stay in Zone 2 just cruising around at a lazy pace!

Originally posted by Aztec
OMG! I just ran mine (MHR = ~190).... I can barely even stay in Zone 2 just cruising around at a lazy pace!

i used zone 2&3 today was pretty easy for me to stay
there first time i tried this i always hammer and have
hr 155-170's for 2-3hour periods. i rode for little over 2
hours and i feel just as crappy as if i rode my fast pace.

I use theses zones for my training, here are the biggest sessions I've done in them. My LT falls in zone 3, but I TT in zone 5.

Zone 6 = single effort of 6 minutes or 5 x 4 minutes with 6 minutes rest (very hard!)
Zone 5 = single effort of 30 minutes or 2 x 20 minutes with 20 minutes rest (very hard) or 4 x 8 minutes with 1 minute rest.
Zone 4 = Between 1 to 1.5 hours depending on how i'm feeling (I don't use this zone very often.
Zone 3 = I use this zone most can maintain it for 1.5 hours with no probs, after that glycogen depletion tends to set in quick. Have done a 3 hour ride at this with correct nutrition etc.
Zone 2 = Ride all day.
Zone 1 = Ride all day.

Originally posted by zaskar
i used zone 2&3 today was pretty easy for me to stay
there first time i tried this i always hammer and have
hr 155-170's for 2-3hour periods. i rode for little over 2
hours and i feel just as crappy as if i rode my fast pace.

Glycogen depletion and hydration becomes a problem in these zones, particularly when you rider outside the zones up hills or with a tailwind!