Whats new with Ullrich?

Tim Lamkin said:
Sad ...I thought both sides had gotten past this, will they ever get past it? Or how many generations will it take?
many generations... I travel a lot to Germany with work... the topic often comes up.... and they still say they can tell East Germans by looking at them... I guess it can be the same as we (US&UK) look at the underclass..... we know they are there, we accept that they are around us but don’t want them in our neighborhood or taking our jobs... Germans are a little worse at being open about it... they still feel that decline in the Germany economy was due to the flood of people from the East (not so – Germany’s post war workers counsel, generous pensions have crippled the country – a job for life is still a expectation of Germans today)... when the Wall came down those in the East could exchange their Zloty for a Deutschmark 1 for 1 (imagine Mexicans having the same exchange rate in the US !)... not a very fair transfer but fair for a unified Germany.... if you get a chance go to East Berlin... I have to say its one of the most amazing parts of the world.. culturally, historically and artistically... if you love art.. go.

whiteboytrash said:
many generations... I travel a lot to Germany with work... the topic often comes up.... and they still say they can tell East Germans by looking at them... I guess it can be the same as we (US&UK) look at the underclass..... we know they are there, we accept that they are around us but don’t want them in our neighborhood or taking our jobs... Germans are a little worse at being open about it... they still feel that decline in the Germany economy was due to the flood of people from the East (not so – Germany’s post war workers counsel, generous pensions have crippled the country – a job for life is still a expectation of Germans today)... when the Wall came down those in the East could exchange their Zloty for a Deutschmark 1 for 1 (imagine Mexicans having the same exchange rate in the US !)... not a very fair transfer but fair for a unified Germany.... if you get a chance go to East Berlin... I have to say its one of the most amazing parts of the world.. culturally, historically and artistically... if you love art.. go.

You mean the art sprayed on the walls? ;)

Actually I just got back from Berlin. On my last day I took the tram out as far as I could into the former East of the city, and then walked back. It was a great experience, very interesting.

Ullrich himself was a big star throughout Germany though, and an enormous part of the growth of cyclesport and the cycling industry in that country. If there was anti-Ossi feeling it didn't stop them putting him on posters all over the West.

alibat said:
I've often suspected that anti East German prejudice has had some part to play in all this.
Is it true that Voigt, Zabel & Ullrich were at the cycling institute together when juniors? If so How younger were they? The Wall fell when Jan was 15.

BottleCage said:
Is it true that Voigt, Zabel & Ullrich were at the cycling institute together when juniors? If so How younger were they? The Wall fell when Jan was 15.
Yes they were, I believe Jan was 12 years old (but I have to check that)

cyclingheroes said:
Yes they were, I believe Jan was 12 years old (but I have to check that)

Yes I read Jens Voight interview where he tells the story of how he and Jan used to sneak out of the sports camp to go clubbing and meet girls ! Jens said both he and Jan loved those days but at the time they hated it as they were on strict diets, trained 10 hours a day and had to do schooling.... no wonder Jan resisted when he got out..... thats a tough world... I'll see if I can dig up the interview.. Jens descibed how he could take his kids to McDonalds anytime he wanted and no one in Germany would care... if Jan went anywhere near a food store let alone McDonalds his face would be on the front page of Bild with the headline "Has Jan lost it ?"... Jens referenced the 2004 Olympics where after a very long season Ullrich was photographed drinking a beer (god forbid) after the road race... again it made the front page suggesting Jan was "anti-German" and not supporting his team-mates by having a beer beforfe the games were over.... couple that with Armstrong's head games and boy did ok... people just love to kick him around... it was easy... if you read his autobiography Jan father was an alcoholic and regularly beat Jan and his brothers in drunkin rages... again mix that with the sports camp and boy has been beaten all his life.... at least now he can walk away and be himself....

Der Fall Jan Ullrich...unser fall - Peter Cleiß
http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=894&objk_id=69218

9783833491696_cover159.jpg

I will do an interview with the author on Friday

Jan Ullrich has temporarily lost his driver's licence, after being penalised for leaving the scene of an accident on Tuesday night. A story in today's Bild reports that Ullrich was driving his Porsche 911 in the company of his Telekom teammate Alexandre Vinokourov and two girls, when he hit a rack containing two bicycles near Freiburg. He drove off, but the number of his car was noted by a witness, who reported it to police. They discovered it was Ullrich, and took away his licence as well as ordering him to take a blood test.

Maybe they should go back and check this blood for EPO ? yeh ?
cyclingheroes said:
Der Fall Jan Ullrich...unser fall - Peter Cleiß

http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=894&objk_id=69218

9783833491696_cover159.jpg

I will do an interview with the author on Friday

whiteboytrash said:
Jan Ullrich has temporarily lost his driver's licence, after being penalised for leaving the scene of an accident on Tuesday night. A story in today's Bild reports that Ullrich was driving his Porsche 911 in the company of his Telekom teammate Alexandre Vinokourov and two girls, when he hit a rack containing two bicycles near Freiburg. He drove off, but the number of his car was noted by a witness, who reported it to police. They discovered it was Ullrich, and took away his licence as well as ordering him to take a blood test.

LOL. Letting his hair down already...

whiteboytrash said:

When did he buy a Porsche. I know he has or had two Audis and a Mercedes.

jhuskey said:
When did he buy a Porsche. I know he has or had two Audis and a Mercedes.
I think this is out of the book on the past charges when he wwas booked for drinking/driving. 2001 ?

wolfix said:
I think this is out of the book on the past charges when he wwas booked for drinking/driving. 2001 ?

I didn't think he had a new car. New house, but not a car.

There is also trouble between Beckmann and the ARD (TV station) because of Seppels attack (with some lies about Gomez..).

BottleCage said:

Zabel and Ullrich were certainly in the same institute - Ullrich was there from the age of 10.
Voigt joined a year after each of them as far as I can recall

When you read their interviews, they all refer to the happy times they spent at the Berlin Cycling School :
I remember reading Zabel's saying that "whatever may happen between us on the road, nothing, NOTHING, will ever break the bond of the Berlin Ccycling School".

In respect of JU - you've got to remember his father (his estranged father) was a world class speed skater.
Physiologically he must have inherited some of that genetic ability.

limerickman said:
Zabel and Ullrich were certainly in the same institute - Ullrich was there from the age of 10.
Voigt joined a year after each of them as far as I can recall

When you read their interviews, they all refer to the happy times they spent at the Berlin Cycling School :
I remember reading Zabel's saying that "whatever may happen between us on the road, nothing, NOTHING, will ever break the bond of the Berlin Ccycling School".

In respect of JU - you've got to remember his father (his estranged father) was a world class speed skater.
Physiologically he must have inherited some of that genetic ability.
Genetic ability is one thing, blood doping another.

The entire USA Olympic track team administered blood transfusions at the Ramada Inn in Carson in 1984. The genetics were all ENHANCED by this form of doping (which was legal in 1984) except for one man--who raced slower than w/o the booster feed. Still, many Golds were collected.

Revisonist history is a Lance Armstrong tactic. Must we rescue Jan Ulrich with such feeble aurguments too?

Flyer's.Finale! said:
Genetic ability is one thing, blood doping another.

The entire USA Olympic track team administered blood transfusions at the Ramada Inn in Carson in 1984. The genetics were all ENHANCED by this form of doping (which was legal in 1984) except for one man--who raced slower than w/o the booster feed. Still, many Golds were collected.

Revisonist history is a Lance Armstrong tactic. Must we rescue Jan Ulrich with such feeble aurguments too?

Nothing revisionist here, mate.
Ullrich's father was a speed skating prodigy and grand champion.

The 1984 US domestic doping issue is an entirely separate issue - and has nothing to do with this topic and has no bearing whatsoever on the content of this thread.

I asked you yesterday to desist from posting the same messages on multiple threads.
And I see you're not complying with my request.
We can resolve this one of two ways, FF.
It's your choice.

Flyer's.Finale! said:
So too is censure.
Sometimes, not in your case.

I can have Lance Armstrong's staff wire you some counter-story-jealous rumor funds.
Sure you can .....you can say it becasue no one will call you on it........we don't need you having any address.