Whats new with Ullrich?

limerickman said:
Ulle doesn't strike me as being a triathlete.
He doesn't have to be, just destroy everyone on the bike leg.

But no, presumably he has not ran or swam during the last 15 years?

does this have to do with his new sponsor? - x bionic

At least he's not another nike endorsed drug cheat who runs marathons wearing 10/2.

Ullefan said:
He doesn't have to be, just destroy everyone on the bike leg.

But no, presumably he has not ran or swam during the last 15 years?

does this have to do with his new sponsor? - x bionic

At least he's not another nike endorsed drug cheat who runs marathons wearing 10/2.

Ulle should talk to Udo Bolts if he's serious about doing a triathlon.
Bolts did the Ironman Triathlon back in 1997 - finished quite highly placed as well.
He did that after completing the TDF that year as well!

I've got the Cycle Sport article somewhere in my archives.

Sad news, Jan was a cheat. Today the prosecutor at Bonn announced the result of the DNA-test. The DNA in both probes is identical. The blood bags stored with Fuentes were Jan´s.

I think Fuentes other clients will be under pressure very soon.

Can anyone else confirm this before I start shooting my mouth off to the office cycling hacks?

rob of the og said:
DNA link Ullrich to Fuentes

BONN, Germany, April 3, 2007 (AFP) - Packets of blood found in the offices of Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentes, who is alleged to have masterminded doping programmes for top athletes, have been confirmed as coming from former German cycling star Jan Ullrich.

A court in Bonn obtained a saliva sample from Ullrich last July after he was implicated in the Fuentes affair to compare his DNA with blood packets found with the codes "Jan" or "N.1".

Prosecutor Friedrich Apostel revealed Tuesday that there was "no doubt" that the blood was indeed that of Ullrich, a former winner and five-time runner-up of the Tour de France, who announced his retirement from cycling in February.

Ullrich was one of dozens of cyclists implicated in the alleged doping network in Spain, which forced him out of competing in last year's Tour de France along with many other top cyclists.

The 33-year-old, Germany's only winner of the world's most prestigious bike race in 1997 claimed he never once cheated in his career.

After being implicated in the scandal, dubbed 'Operation Puerto', Ullrich was eventually sacked by his T-Mobile team during the race.

The team said at the time that damaging evidence from Spanish investigators in Madrid prompted the decision to drop their star rider.

Can't wait to hear how the Jan Ullrich apologists spin this breaking news about how JU's blood was in Fuentes' possession...Gonna need some wading boots I imagine because the sh** is going to get deep...But I know, there are still some out there that will NEVER believe Ullrich could do such a thing...

Yeah, but a dna match to a couple gallons of blood in the hands of a doctor who's admitted to blood doping cyclist doesn't prove anything, right?

I mean, one bag of doped blood does not a doper make.

tonyzackery said:
Can't wait to hear how the Jan Ullrich apologists spin this breaking news about how JU's blood was in Fuentes' possession...Gonna need some wading boots I imagine because the sh** is going to get deep...But I know, there are still some out there that will NEVER believe Ullrich could do such a thing...
True.

Anyway translating is a hard job and during the time I translated the DNA news came (so it's not in the story). Here is the Ullrich interview in English:
http://www.cyclingheroes.info/id526.html

Hey Tony, Jan has just given some blood in case of an accident!!!

There is no surprise for me, Jan as many others had stunning average powers. All those riders cannot be exceptionnel human...

Now we are waiting for Basso! T. Danielson will become a leader on next TDF :D

helmutRoole2 said:
Yeah, but a dna match to a couple gallons of blood in the hands of a doctor who's admitted to blood doping cyclist doesn't prove anything, right?

I mean, one bag of doped blood does not a doper make.
He was storing his blood in order to make a batch of limited edition Jan Ullrich black pudding to sell come his retirement - obviously!

So when do we get the results of Basso's DNA test? Oh yeah, I forgot, Basso doesn't have a dog and didn't ever visit Fuentes and is easily as clean as any of Disco's riders (past or present).

This from Velonews.com:

"Ullrich, 33, was one of nine riders kicked out ahead of last year's Tour for alleged links to the Puerto investigation. T-Mobile later sacked their team leader as well as sport director Rudy Pevenage and team manager Olaf Ludwig.

American Bob Stapleton has since joined the German ProTour team and introduced a strict anti-doping code within the squad."

Yeah, baby! It takes an American to get the job done right. Just ask Armstrong. You won't hear about any doping going on in T-Mob now.

The lesson from all this is not letting this type of bad press come to light. Keep it in-house, systematic.

helmutRoole2 said:
This from Velonews.com:

"Ullrich, 33, was one of nine riders kicked out ahead of last year's Tour for alleged links to the Puerto investigation. T-Mobile later sacked their team leader as well as sport director Rudy Pevenage and team manager Olaf Ludwig.

American Bob Stapleton has since joined the German ProTour team and introduced a strict anti-doping code within the squad."

Yeah, baby! It takes an American to get the job done right. Just ask Armstrong. You won't hear about any doping going on in T-Mob now.

The lesson from all this is not letting this type of bad press come to light. Keep it in-house, systematic.
That´s it. But Ullrich developed a type of intolerable hybris that did not conform with corporate identity, he´s a simple mind and not smart enough to do anything but ride his bike.

Telekom has got a very bad image here in Germany. Stapleton won´t be able to initiate a turnaround. There are some Dutch or Belgian people who still identify with the team. The bulk of the German population doesn´t.

Well it´s a surprise to me!

I would expect Ulle dope but not at the same doctor than Basso.
Maybee Basso didn´t doped at Fuentes.

Anyway, i was aiming to a spanish hoax or conspiracy. I would expected Chechini with ulle, but then again, chechini did cooperate with Fuentes. Well as i´m writing, i can see the basso conection here too!

Let´s hope for a lot of DNA tests now!

portia said:
That´s it. But Ullrich developed a type of intolerable hybris that did not conform with corporate identity, he´s a simple mind and not smart enough to do anything but ride his bike.

Telekom has got a very bad image here in Germany. Stapleton won´t be able to initiate a turnaround. There are some Dutch or Belgian people who still identify with the team. The bulk of the German population doesn´t.
Hence the reason that the Stapleton T Mobile has so many riders from so many nations - and a lot of English speakers too. They are no longer a German team but that's also because the company's target markets are broadly international too.

I just read on the other thread the conspiracy issue raised by his lawyers.

Can they explain how the bags have blood that matched the Ullrich blood?

Rolfrae said:
Hence the reason that the Stapleton T Mobile has so many riders from so many nations - and a lot of English speakers too. They are no longer a German team but that's also because the company's target markets are broadly international too.
That´ s so veeery true and that´s why I as a German citizen give a damn about the scheme and the team. ROLF A., f.o.!!!