Whats next?

FRANKtheTANK46

May 1, 2006
Hey folks just started cycling (been spinning for about a year and wanted to do the real thing now :) ). I bought a Cannondale R700 and wanted to ask you all what should be the main things on my list to upgrade? i talked with the bike shop workers and they told me the first thing should be the tires. But after that what would be some good things to change or add on. Oh ya i also put on a wireless computer as well. I provided a link to the bike i bought if your curious to what it has already. Ide really appreciate help because i have no idea what should be the main things to upgrade.

thanks a ton.

Cannondale CAAD8 R700

Frank

Can we assume you have clipless pedals and road shoes, if not I'd go for these, after this probably a heart rate monitor with a recording capability.

kleng said:
Frank

Can we assume you have clipless pedals and road shoes, if not I'd go for these, after this probably a heart rate monitor with a recording capability.

Sorry for not including these, yes i have road shoes with clipless pedals and a heart rate monitor that includes the chest strap.

That's a nice bike - I've been looking at the Cannondale Synapse Alloy and getting rather tempted to start saving.

Do you plan on racing? Otherwise I would ride it how it is.

What are the Cannondale saddles like?

I looked at your link. The bike is OK as it is, those tyres are good. Just work on the engine, a little fine tuning here and there, maybe some lightening of the main body and some high quality fuel. :)

George said it well. Save your money for replacement tires, chains and other maintenance rather than spending money now to upgrade. When it's time for new wheels, drivetrain or shifters, that's the time to consider upgrades. By the time things start wearing out, you may decide you "need" a new bike instead of investing in the old dog:)

FRANKtheTANK46 said:
Sorry for not including these, yes i have road shoes with clipless pedals and a heart rate monitor that includes the chest strap.
Frank

There's not much more to upgrade, the Spec's on the bike look very good to start off with. People can get carried away with replacing parts with lighter ones, but this very rarely improves performance unless its something significant like the wheelset (lower rotational weight). Tyres and tubes could be changed but I'd only do this after the current ones are worn out or have been cut. Something like a good set of bib knicks might improve comfort on the bike.

Next step is to get out there and enjoy your great bike.

thx for the replys. Ya i dont plan on replacing the tires until they NEED to be replaced. The saddle is not bad at all, I havent really tried other so i cant really compare to others but from what i can feel it is very good.

I like what kleng said. Get yourself bike clothes now. Bib shorts are really nice. At any rate, when you start riding a lot you will find out that padding in the shorts helps increase your comfort level.

like a book :) Im taking my first ride tomorrow. Got any good tips? Im alittle nervous about riding out there with cars but i have been looking for good places to ride and im anxious to get out there.

FRANKtheTANK46 said:
like a book :) Im taking my first ride tomorrow. Got any good tips? Im alittle nervous about riding out there with cars but i have been looking for good places to ride and im anxious to get out there.
Usually Universities have nice quiet campuses to ride around, there is always a ring road within the complex you can motor around without too much car action at road speeds. Just drive up there in the car with your bike in tow and do as many laps as you want. The univesity I used to go to was perched on the hill, so the ring road was like a TDF mountain stage course, as the road started way down the hillside.

Nowadays I get up really early 5.00am to beat everyone onto the roads, I'm usually home before the morning traffic picks up.

Also its advisable to do a bit of reconnisance in the car and identify the roads with bike lanes. Not sure you have these where you are.

Nice ride tommorrow Frank.

thx. just got back from my ride. I did 10 miles (just starting out) in 45mins. The route i took was a rolling hills route on the access road of a interstate, it had a large shoulder for the most part and wasnt too bad. There is another route i found that actually has a "bike lane" on the right but what bothers me is that it is only about 5 feet wide right next to the road where as the route i did today the shoulder was a good 10 feet.

Welcome to the forum Frank.

This is classic and cracks me up "I just bought a bike and what should I do to upgrade"? Why'd you buy the bike if you plan on upgrading right away? Here's my .02; ride it, ride it a bunch, ride it faster, do group rides, maybe even a couple of local rookie races ....THEN start talking upgrades. The motor is going to be the single biggest factor in your cycling improvement. If you do start thinking upgrades wheels are the best value since they can easily be ported to another bike in the future. Upgrading something like a derailler or a crank is very inconsequential.

Good luck and enjoy your rides.

FRANKtheTANK46 said:
There's some good, basic information about riding in traffic here: http://bicyclesafe.com/
Most importanatly: be visible, be predictable, and know and follow the local traffic laws.

thx for the site, they provide alot of information.

Capwater- if it sounded as if i was someone who just wanted to spend money and add all these parts to my bike that is incorrect. I dont plan on adding anything to my bike for awhile or until the parts are needed. Im a perfectionist yes, but not a spoiled brat who just wants to spend money.