whats *really* up w/ hincapie?

W.A. Manning

Guest
his illness has forced him from the classics. maybe he has that strange new mystery virus that's
going around? or a latent effect of long-term doping? anyone know the scoop?

Don't think he was in Asia recently, was he? In any case, many pros are down with the "bug"
lately... I guess it is that early season effort that is killing these guys...

Crystal

"w.a. manning" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> his illness has forced him from the classics. maybe he has that strange new mystery virus that's
> going around? or a latent effect of long-term doping? anyone know the scoop?

I live in Upstate South Carolina not too far from where George makes his winter home and does his
winter training. I know a few folks who know George and know his program. The word around here is
that the guy just burned himself out over the winter trying to be ready for the spring. And as he
started to wear down, he tried to fix it with more training.

That's just what I've heard. May or may not be accurate.

Bob C.

"w.a. manning" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> his illness has forced him from the classics. maybe he has that strange new mystery virus that's
> going around? or a latent effect of long-term doping? anyone know the scoop?

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (w.a.
manning) wrote:

> his illness has forced him from the classics. maybe he has that strange new mystery virus that's
> going around? or a latent effect of long-term doping? anyone know the scoop?

Mononucleosis ... aka glandular fever ... aka overtraining & chronic fatigue syndrome.

pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est

Originally posted by Steven L. Sheff
manning) wrote:

> his illness has forced him from the classics. maybe he has that strange new mystery virus that's
> going around? or a latent effect of long-term doping? anyone know the scoop?

Mononucleosis ... aka glandular fever ... aka overtraining & chronic fatigue syndrome.

pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est

The same problem Tom Steels had... can take a very long time to cure

Niek

"nferyn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Steven L. Sheff wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (w.a.
> > manning) wrote:
> > > his illness has forced him from the classics. maybe he has that strange new mystery virus
> > > that's going around? or a latent effect of long-term doping? anyone know the scoop?
> > Mononucleosis ... aka glandular fever ... aka overtraining & chronic fatigue syndrome.
> > --
> > Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
> > bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est
>
> The same problem Tom Steels had... can take a very long time to cure

Could it also be that the apparent severity of the problem is being exaggerated by USPS team goals?
That is, if Hincapie were a team leader racing strictly for his own results, he/they might not have
been so quick to abandon any thought of performing well before July.

Andy Coggan

> Could it also be that the apparent severity of the problem is being exaggerated by USPS team
> goals? That is, if Hincapie were a team leader racing strictly for his own results, he/they might
> not have been so quick
> abandon any thought of performing well before July.
>
> Andy Coggan

Absolutely. George does not get paid to win classics. Anything short of a 5th win for Lance and the
season is a failure. I don't think USPS wants a repeat of 2001 when Heras and (I think) Rubiera
overtrained before the Tour and suffered more than usual. George put in a stud performance last year
and I think they're looking for more of the same from him in July.

-T

nferyn <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Steven L. Sheff wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (w.a.
> > manning) wrote:
> > > his illness has forced him from the classics. maybe he has that strange new mystery virus
> > > that's going around? or a latent effect of long-term doping? anyone know the scoop?
> > Mononucleosis ... aka glandular fever ... aka overtraining & chronic fatigue syndrome.
> > --
> > Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
> > bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est
>

> The same problem Tom Steels had... can take a very long time to cure
>
> Niek

Nyet, Niek. Hincapie's problem is very different from the one Steels had.

Steels problem is he got sick and it prevented him from winning as many races as usual.

Hincapie's problem is he got sick and went on winning as many races as usual.

Prognosis: Hincapie will eventually make a full recovery, and continue to earn enough 4th-6th places
to make M3 payments for a few more seasons.

Dr. RJ

"w.a. manning" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> his illness has forced him from the classics. maybe he has that strange new mystery virus that's
> going around? or a latent effect
of
> long-term doping? anyone know the scoop?

Doping? Do you mean hanging around on this group?

How about he's sick and needs to recover. You people need to get a real hobby.

TC

He's deeply depressed by the loss of Tom Boonen.

"w.a. manning" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> his illness has forced him from the classics. maybe he has that strange new mystery virus that's
> going around? or a latent effect of long-term doping? anyone know the scoop?

"Louison Bobet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> He's deeply depressed by the loss of Tom Boonen.

That's not it. Van Heeswijk has been riding very well.

It's physical. Hincapie was a threat in the Classics before he had Boonen (that was only 1 year).

"T12XU" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> How about he's sick and needs to recover. You people need to get a real
hobby.

> TC

Real hobbies take effort... All it takes to bash someone here is a little typing. Hell, you don't
even get paper cuts from it!

Mike

Maybe he's depressed because the thought of being the second best finisher for USPS for another year
and to a different guy was more than he could take! First Tom-Tom, then Mad Max. At least we won't
have to hear Paul Sherwen calling him "Georgie" all day on OLN!