whats *really* up w/ hincapie?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by W.A. Manning, Mar 17, 2003.

  1. W.A. Manning

    W.A. Manning Guest

    his illness has forced him from the classics. maybe he has that strange new mystery virus that's
    going around? or a latent effect of long-term doping? anyone know the scoop?

    Tags:

  2. Crystal

    Crystal Guest

    Don't think he was in Asia recently, was he? In any case, many pros are down with the "bug"
    lately... I guess it is that early season effort that is killing these guys...

    Crystal

    "w.a. manning" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > his illness has forced him from the classics. maybe he has that strange new mystery virus that's
    > going around? or a latent effect of long-term doping? anyone know the scoop?

  3. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    I live in Upstate South Carolina not too far from where George makes his winter home and does his
    winter training. I know a few folks who know George and know his program. The word around here is
    that the guy just burned himself out over the winter trying to be ready for the spring. And as he
    started to wear down, he tried to fix it with more training.

    That's just what I've heard. May or may not be accurate.

    Bob C.

    "w.a. manning" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > his illness has forced him from the classics. maybe he has that strange new mystery virus that's
    > going around? or a latent effect of long-term doping? anyone know the scoop?

  4. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (w.a.
    manning) wrote:

    > his illness has forced him from the classics. maybe he has that strange new mystery virus that's
    > going around? or a latent effect of long-term doping? anyone know the scoop?

    Mononucleosis ... aka glandular fever ... aka overtraining & chronic fatigue syndrome.

    pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est

  5. nferyn

    nferyn New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2002
    The same problem Tom Steels had... can take a very long time to cure

    Niek

  6. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "nferyn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Steven L. Sheff wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (w.a.
    > > manning) wrote:
    > > > his illness has forced him from the classics. maybe he has that strange new mystery virus
    > > > that's going around? or a latent effect of long-term doping? anyone know the scoop?
    > > Mononucleosis ... aka glandular fever ... aka overtraining & chronic fatigue syndrome.
    > > --
    > > Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
    > > bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est
    >
    > The same problem Tom Steels had... can take a very long time to cure

    Could it also be that the apparent severity of the problem is being exaggerated by USPS team goals?
    That is, if Hincapie were a team leader racing strictly for his own results, he/they might not have
    been so quick to abandon any thought of performing well before July.

    Andy Coggan

  7. "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Could it also be that the apparent severity of the problem is being exaggerated by USPS team
    > goals? That is, if Hincapie were a team leader racing strictly for his own results, he/they might
    > not have been so quick
    > abandon any thought of performing well before July.
    >
    > Andy Coggan

    Absolutely. George does not get paid to win classics. Anything short of a 5th win for Lance and the
    season is a failure. I don't think USPS wants a repeat of 2001 when Heras and (I think) Rubiera
    overtrained before the Tour and suffered more than usual. George put in a stud performance last year
    and I think they're looking for more of the same from him in July.

    -T

  8. nferyn <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Steven L. Sheff wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (w.a.
    > > manning) wrote:
    > > > his illness has forced him from the classics. maybe he has that strange new mystery virus
    > > > that's going around? or a latent effect of long-term doping? anyone know the scoop?
    > > Mononucleosis ... aka glandular fever ... aka overtraining & chronic fatigue syndrome.
    > > --
    > > Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
    > > bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est
    >

    > The same problem Tom Steels had... can take a very long time to cure
    >
    > Niek

    Nyet, Niek. Hincapie's problem is very different from the one Steels had.

    Steels problem is he got sick and it prevented him from winning as many races as usual.

    Hincapie's problem is he got sick and went on winning as many races as usual.

    Prognosis: Hincapie will eventually make a full recovery, and continue to earn enough 4th-6th places
    to make M3 payments for a few more seasons.

    Dr. RJ

  9. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "w.a. manning" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > his illness has forced him from the classics. maybe he has that strange new mystery virus that's
    > going around? or a latent effect
    of
    > long-term doping? anyone know the scoop?

    Doping? Do you mean hanging around on this group?

  10. T12xu

    T12xu Guest

    How about he's sick and needs to recover. You people need to get a real hobby.

    TC

  11. He's deeply depressed by the loss of Tom Boonen.

    "w.a. manning" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > his illness has forced him from the classics. maybe he has that strange new mystery virus that's
    > going around? or a latent effect of long-term doping? anyone know the scoop?

  12. "Louison Bobet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > He's deeply depressed by the loss of Tom Boonen.

    That's not it. Van Heeswijk has been riding very well.

    It's physical. Hincapie was a threat in the Classics before he had Boonen (that was only 1 year).

  13. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

  14. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Maybe he's depressed because the thought of being the second best finisher for USPS for another year
    and to a different guy was more than he could take! First Tom-Tom, then Mad Max. At least we won't
    have to hear Paul Sherwen calling him "Georgie" all day on OLN!