What's that yellow thing on the chain stay of the TDF bikes?

Steve M

Guest
I've been watching the race on OLN and noticed that a lot of the bikes have
a yellow square device attached to their left chain stay a couple of inches
in front of the rear axel. Anybody know what it is?

In article <[email protected]>, Steve M
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I've been watching the race on OLN and noticed that a lot of the bikes have
> a yellow square device attached to their left chain stay a couple of inches
> in front of the rear axel. Anybody know what it is?

I believe those are transponders that are used in the electronic
scoring system. It helps give time gaps and helps identify who is in a
gap or near the front of the field.

Steve M wrote:

> I've been watching the race on OLN and noticed that a lot of the bikes have
> a yellow square device attached to their left chain stay a couple of inches
> in front of the rear axel. Anybody know what it is?

Probably RFID tags. I'll have to snoop around the CN pictures and see
if I can see what you are talking about.

"Steve M" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I've been watching the race on OLN and noticed that a lot of the bikes have
> a yellow square device attached to their left chain stay a couple of inches
> in front of the rear axel. Anybody know what it is?

it's a "Livestrong" wristband

Casey Kerrigan wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Steve M
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I've been watching the race on OLN and noticed that a lot of the bikes have
>>a yellow square device attached to their left chain stay a couple of inches
>>in front of the rear axel. Anybody know what it is?
>>

> I believe those are transponders that are used in the electronic
> scoring system. It helps give time gaps and helps identify who is in a
> gap or near the front of the field.

You are correct, they've just explained it on French TV. There are
receivers at intermediate sprints and some other locations above the
road. The transponder is personalized and there is an identical one on
the spare bike. The plan is to develop the system more in the future.

"Steve M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been watching the race on OLN and noticed that a lot of the bikes

have
> a yellow square device attached to their left chain stay a couple of

inches
> in front of the rear axel. Anybody know what it is?

These are the radio timing transponders from AMB. From their promotional
material:
"Activ Transponders are at This Year's Tour de France
During this year's Tour de France, AMB Activ Transponders will be used for
official scoring of riders at the 1km and 30m marks during the flat sprint
stages. Data generated will be used to help recreate the order of riders in
the event of a crash during the sprint finish. Racer position data will
also be fed to announcers, which makes the call of the sprint finish even
more accurate. Activ Transponders will be mounted on each riders' front
forks using the Activ Transponder fork-mount holder. Look for Activ's on
the forks of the world's fastest riders this July at Le Tour."

http://www.amb-it.com/amb.asp?cmd=asp/xml.asp?source=welcome&appID=9

Mike Murray