What's that yellow thing on the chain stay of the TDF bikes?

Steve M

Guest
I've been watching the race on OLN and noticed that a lot of
the bikes have a yellow square device attached to their left
chain stay a couple of inches in front of the rear axel.
Anybody know what it is?

In article <[email protected]>, Steve M
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I've been watching the race on OLN and noticed that a lot
> of the bikes have a yellow square device attached to their
> left chain stay a couple of inches in front of the rear
> axel. Anybody know what it is?

I believe those are transponders that are used in the
electronic scoring system. It helps give time gaps and helps
identify who is in a gap or near the front of the field.

Steve M wrote:

> I've been watching the race on OLN and noticed that a lot
> of the bikes have a yellow square device attached to their
> left chain stay a couple of inches in front of the rear
> axel. Anybody know what it is?

Probably RFID tags. I'll have to snoop around the CN
pictures and see if I can see what you are talking about.

"Steve M" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I've been watching the race on OLN and noticed that a lot
> of the bikes have a yellow square device attached to their
> left chain stay a couple of inches in front of the rear
> axel. Anybody know what it is?

it's a "Livestrong" wristband

Casey Kerrigan wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Steve M
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I've been watching the race on OLN and noticed that a lot
>>of the bikes have a yellow square device attached to their
>>left chain stay a couple of inches in front of the rear
>>axel. Anybody know what it is?
>>

> I believe those are transponders that are used in the
> electronic scoring system. It helps give time gaps and
> helps identify who is in a gap or near the front of
> the field.

You are correct, they've just explained it on French TV.
There are receivers at intermediate sprints and some other
locations above the road. The transponder is personalized
and there is an identical one on the spare bike. The plan is
to develop the system more in the future.

"Steve M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been watching the race on OLN and noticed that a lot
> of the bikes
have
> a yellow square device attached to their left chain stay a
> couple of
inches
> in front of the rear axel. Anybody know what it is?

These are the radio timing transponders from AMB. From their
promotional material: "Activ Transponders are at This Year's
Tour de France During this year's Tour de France, AMB Activ
Transponders will be used for official scoring of riders at
the 1km and 30m marks during the flat sprint stages. Data
generated will be used to help recreate the order of riders
in the event of a crash during the sprint finish. Racer
position data will also be fed to announcers, which makes
the call of the sprint finish even more accurate. Activ
Transponders will be mounted on each riders' front forks
using the Activ Transponder fork-mount holder. Look for
Activ's on the forks of the world's fastest riders this July
at Le Tour."

http://www.amb-
it.com/amb.asp?cmd=asp/xml.asp?source=welcome&appID=9

Mike Murray