What's the average life span of a brake pad?

Chris Zacho The Wheelman

Guest
Disc brake, I mean. How long in miles (assuming they aren't regularly
drenched in mud) can i expect them to last? When should I start checking
for excessive wear or replacement?

- -

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:56:59 -0500, [email protected] (Chris
Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote:

>Disc brake, I mean. How long in miles (assuming they aren't regularly
>drenched in mud) can i expect them to last? When should I start checking
>for excessive wear or replacement?

Varies with usage, brake and pad design, rider weight, and pad
material. Inspect them for wear regularly until you have a handle on
how fast they're wearing, and if you replace them with pads of a
different material, expect a different wear rate. Bear in mind that
cable-operated disc brakes will signal their wear to a certain extent
by requiring caliper adjustment; hydraulics generally won't.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote:

>Disc brake, I mean. How long in miles (assuming they aren't regularly
>drenched in mud) can i expect them to last? When should I start checking
>for excessive wear or replacement?

Same as the length of a piece of string. You can usually feel through
the lever when disc pads have had enough, certainly on a motorbike or
car. I haven't worn through any on my MTBs yet, but I don't ride far,
or hard. You should be able to see how much you have left if your
brakes are clean

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Depends on whether you are going down hills or flat out. If you don't drag them they last a lot longer.