Whats the best 20" suspension fork?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Nicholson

Anyone have any ideas on what is the best (lightest,smoothest and most adjustable, to fit SWB bike)
20" suspension fork.

For what its worth I consider the Ballistic to be low end...

Tom Nicholson

Well if money is no object...get a White Bros. @ around $600.00 USD.
"Tom Nicholson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone have any ideas on what is the best (lightest,smoothest and most adjustable, to fit SWB
> bike) 20" suspension fork.
>
> For what its worth I consider the Ballistic to be low end...
>
> Tom Nicholson

I believe that the White Brothers Suspension Fork is the only high end suspension fork available in
the 20" size. It is expensive but appears to be much better than the Ballistic. Hostel Shoppe has
them availalbe online ( http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?category=607200 ) I believe
the Meks Carbon Suspension Fork is also considered an upgrade from the Ballistic and is between the
Ballistic and White Brothers in cost.

[email protected] (Tom Nicholson) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Anyone have any ideas on what is the best (lightest,smoothest and most adjustable, to fit SWB
>
>
> Tom Nicholson

I'm with these guys, I upgraded my Vivo from a Ballistic to the MEKS, big improvement, but if I had
$600 that I didn't know what to do with :) I'd get the White Br.

Mark "Vivovoyagaing on a MEKS fork" Evans

"cbb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I believe that the White Brothers Suspension Fork is the only high end suspension fork available
> in the 20" size. It is expensive but appears to be much better than the Ballistic. Hostel Shoppe
> has them availalbe online ( http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?category=607200 ) I
> believe the Meks Carbon Suspension Fork is also considered an upgrade from the Ballistic and is
> between the Ballistic and White Brothers in cost.
>
>
> [email protected] (Tom Nicholson) wrote in message
> > Anyone have any ideas on what is the best (lightest,smoothest and most adjustable, to fit SWB
> > bike) 20" suspension fork.
> >
> > For what its worth I consider the Ballistic to be low end...
> >
> > Tom Nicholson

[email protected] (Tom Nicholson) wrote in message
>
>
> Tom Nicholson

Hi, Tom: It's gotta be the White Brothers unit--simply beautiful! And very expensive: $600. Hostel
Shoppe sells them. Next in line, I think, would be the Meks carbon, also sold by Hostel Shoppe:
about $300 or so.

Scott

A Pantour hub. Light, effective. I have one on my P-38. It's excellent. Waiting for my rear wheel to
arrive in a few days.

Gary Ralph "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> [email protected] (Tom Nicholson) wrote in message
> > Anyone have any ideas on what is the best (lightest,smoothest and most adjustable, to fit SWB
> > bike) 20" suspension fork.
> >
> > For what its worth I consider the Ballistic to be low end...
> >
> > Tom Nicholson
>
> Hi, Tom: It's gotta be the White Brothers unit--simply beautiful! And very expensive: $600. Hostel
> Shoppe sells them. Next in line, I think, would be the Meks carbon, also sold by Hostel Shoppe:
> about $300 or so.
>
> Scott

Have you had the brake pads slip under the rim on that Pantour yet? Makes for a locked up
wheel. Speedy

garyralph wrote:

> A Pantour hub. Light, effective. I have one on my P-38. It's excellent. Waiting for my rear wheel
> to arrive in a few days.
>
> Gary Ralph "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (Tom Nicholson) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Anyone have any ideas on what is the best (lightest,smoothest and most adjustable, to fit SWB
> > > bike) 20" suspension fork.
> > >
> > > For what its worth I consider the Ballistic to be low end...
> > >
> > > Tom Nicholson
> >
> > Hi, Tom: It's gotta be the White Brothers unit--simply beautiful! And very expensive: $600.
> > Hostel Shoppe sells them. Next in line, I think, would be the Meks carbon, also sold by Hostel
> > Shoppe: about $300 or so.
> >
> > Scott

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1
Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

No can't say that I've had that less than pleasant experience. I know that was a theoretical concern
with the Pantour hub but supposedly not a practical concern. Have you experienced this or known of
anyone who has?

Gary Ralph "S. Delaire "Rotatorrecumbent"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Have you had the brake pads slip under the rim on that Pantour yet? Makes for a locked up
> wheel. Speedy
>
> garyralph wrote:
>
> > A Pantour hub. Light, effective. I have one on my P-38. It's
excellent.
> > Waiting for my rear wheel to arrive in a few days.
> >
> > Gary Ralph "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > [email protected] (Tom Nicholson) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > > Anyone have any ideas on what is the best (lightest,smoothest and
most
> > > > adjustable, to fit SWB bike) 20" suspension fork.
> > > >
> > > > For what its worth I consider the Ballistic to be low end...
> > > >
> > > > Tom Nicholson
> > >
> > > Hi, Tom: It's gotta be the White Brothers unit--simply beautiful! And very expensive: $600.
> > > Hostel Shoppe sells them. Next in line, I think, would be the Meks carbon, also sold by Hostel
> > > Shoppe: about $300 or so.
> > >
> > > Scott
>
>
>
> -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1
> Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

"S. Delaire \"Rotatorrecumbent\"" wrote:
>
> Have you had the brake pads slip under the rim on that Pantour yet? Makes for a locked up
> wheel. Speedy

I have seen the opposite situation with a Pantour hub on a carbon fiber lowracer - the pads hit the
tire and lock up the wheel if the front end is sufficiently unweighted.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Originally posted by Tom Nicholson
Anyone have any ideas on what is the best (lightest,smoothest and most adjustable, to fit SWB bike)
20" suspension fork.

For what its worth I consider the Ballistic to be low end...

Have you considered a Pantour Hub?

It will not give as much as a suspension fork, but it does smooth out the imperfections in the road.

I just finished replacing both the suspension fork and rear shock on my 2002 Rans Vivo. For the
fork, I chose the Meks Carbon AC and find it to be an excellent choice for road riding. I don't do
any off-road riding, so can't say how it might perform there.

Both the pre-load and damping adjustments are easy to use and produce the desired results. The
problem I was trying to correct was the pogoing of the Vivo front end while cranking uphill. Not
only did it totally eliminate that, but I also found it was much more stable when spinning down
steep hills - guess some bobbing was occurring even then.

I bought the fork from Hostel Shoppe and found their advice and assistance valuable. Here are a
couple of tips that I learned along the way. First, the steering tube is pretty easily cut by using
a pipe cutter, available from Lowes or Home Depot. In appearance, it's just a larger beefier
version of a tubing cutter. Second, the guys at the local bike shop informed me that the inside
diameter of the steering tube was rather odd, and they had a hard time locating a star nut that
would properly fit into the tube. If I had it to do over again, I'd have asked Hostel Shoppe to
provide the proper one. My first threadless stem, didn't think about that nut. Third, I ordered the
heavier springs for the fork, thinking they might be needed. I later found out that the Carbon AC
has springs in only one side, with the damper in the other side. So, I didn't need to order two
sets of springs - only one. After quite a bit of testing, I find that they aren't necessary anyway,
at least if you're less than 200 lbs. Last, with the fork comes a single sheet showing a blow-up of
the parts assembly. Not a clue about adjustment or how to maintain the fork. For that, go to the HP
Velotechnik website and look at the owner's manual for the Street Machine GT, which uses the fork.
That document has loads of info on adjustment and maintenance, including the procedure for changing
out the springs if you need to.

FS in Angier, NC 2002 Vivo with a REAL suspension now

>
>
> Tom Nicholson

bentcruiser <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Have you considered a Pantour Hub?
>
> It will not give as much as a suspension fork, but it does smooth out the imperfections in
> the road.
>
>
>
> --
> Derek, Burley Canto

Yeah, Just not enough travel for dirt roads I suspect. I want to setup for touring and not be
limited by dirt roads as to where I choose to go. Most places I like are at the end of the
dirt roads...

So Im chasing a fork that can deal with weight and have some travel left. The Ballistic fails here.

Tom

Just remembered...a week later after I said try a White Bros. fork... there (was) a good Suspension
Fork that I believe is no longer in production called AMP Research. I found a framebuilder who will
refurbish these forks and cut them down from a 26 to a 20 inch for bent riders. All you need to do
is find an AMP Research in reasonably good condition and get the framebuilder to do his VooDoo on
it. I remember the A.R. fork was highly sought after for being a good on and off road fork (no idea
why something so well admired went glug).
> bentcruiser <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > Have you considered a Pantour Hub?
> >
> > It will not give as much as a suspension fork, but it does smooth out the imperfections in
> > the road.
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Derek, Burley Canto
>
> Yeah, Just not enough travel for dirt roads I suspect. I want to setup for touring and not be
> limited by dirt roads as to where I choose to go. Most places I like are at the end of the dirt
> roads...
>
> So Im chasing a fork that can deal with weight and have some travel left. The Ballistic
> fails here.
>
> Tom

I read that you can change out the stock elastomers and springs for a heavier-duty version on the
Ballistic shocks. Since I have Ballistic shocks I was thinking of trying that out before I did
anything else.

Perhaps someone can let us know if that is a worthwhile endeavor.

William Higley, Sr. Vision R-50 RANS Rocket (lusting after a $3000 50 lb. bent ~ even though I've
only seen them as I was passing them) "Tom Nicholson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> bentcruiser <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > Have you considered a Pantour Hub?
> >
> > It will not give as much as a suspension fork, but it does smooth out the imperfections in
> > the road.
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Derek, Burley Canto
>
> Yeah, Just not enough travel for dirt roads I suspect. I want to setup for touring and not be
> limited by dirt roads as to where I choose to go. Most places I like are at the end of the dirt
> roads...
>
> So Im chasing a fork that can deal with weight and have some travel left. The Ballistic
> fails here.
>
> Tom

"William Higley, Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I read that you can change out the stock elastomers and springs for a heavier-duty version on the
> Ballistic shocks. Since I have Ballistic shocks I was thinking of trying that out before I did
> anything else.

A few years ago, when the Ballistic was about the only option in a 20" fork, we were trying
everything to get these to work better. The best I was ever able to achieve was "adapting" Rock Shox
MCU elastomers to fit inside the fork tubes. I wouldn't waste your money on the Ballistic heavy-duty
spring kit.

In my opinion, the Ballistic should only be considered by very lightweight riders. The oversize
stanchion tubes of the Meks and White Brothers forks significantly improve handling and durability,
and the quality internals actually allow for some bump absorbtion, adjustment, rebuild-ability, and
a fork that lasts longer than one season.

For tandems, the White Brothers is by far the best choice. The air spring can be pumped up to handle
the weight of two riders, and it's strength and stiffness are more closely matched to the
requirements of tandems.

The Meks is a great fork too. It uses standard mechanical (coil & elastomer) springs, so it's
preload may not be enough to work on tandems without some modifications (depending on your team's
weight), but it has a great adjustment range suitable for just about anything else. The carbon fork
legs look great too :)

A couple of things to watch out for when upgrading your fork:

1. USS - if you have a Vision with USS steering, the Ballistic is your only option.

2. Chain/Idler Clearance - both the Meks and the White Brothers have more substantial crowns, so you
may run into some chain interference. Make sure you have plenty of clearance where your chain
and/or idler crosses over the top of your fork.

3. Brakes - almost all current suspension forks only work with linear-pull (v-brakes) or disc
brakes. If you have older cantilever brakes, you will need to replace at least your front brake
and lever. If you have a custom rigid fork with the brake studs mounted on the backside of the
fork blades, you will most-likely run into problems with front-mounted brake posts.

Hope this helps,

Erich Hartman Hostel Shoppe, Ltd. http://www.hostelshoppe.com

Status
Not open for further replies.