What's the Best Car for Cycling?

alienator said:
No kidding. The last thing we need is to be energy conscious. Jeez. If you do that then we won't get to have more of our own kids killed in war, and we won't get to have a jolly good time killing innocent people in other countries whose oil we're trying to liberate.....er, I mean whose people we're trying to liberate....
Damn, something we kinda agree on, thats why I'm going to start hauling my bike on my 16' trailer behind my Titan. Bet if I get on the gas a bit, I can get the mileage down to 11 or 12 mpg. Screw the wifes ULEV minivan that gets 27mpg or the Accord at 31mpg. That should help us get into Iran. My 10 yr old son watches the news everyday and hears how bad the condition of the army is getting, I explained this can't continue and they may institute a draft, he's concerned and vows to maintian his grades.

alienator said:
Wifey is #1 on the wait list at a local Mercedes dealer for when these puppies become available in the next year:

smartcar.jpg

We're also looking at the Prius.
What happens if you get into an accident in one of those things?

Cycler6n said:
*SQUISH!*

I think wagons are the way to go. I have an Audi wagon that gets 32 mpg. I havn't accepted the hybrids yet as they dont have enough power to navigate the high mountains (to my satisfaction:)). I reason that if I get better mileage that allows me to ride in greater and more exciting places, not so much when you used to drive a Ford Explorer getting 11 mpg :(. Bike goes inside if my dog isnt there, on the roof if he is. That is him in the avatar pic.

Cycler6n said:

The word is that they're actually safe. You don't have to be in an SUV to be safe.

alienator said:
The word is that they're actually safe. You don't have to be in an SUV to be safe.
what about running into a SUV in one of those? can they roll easily? neat car, but it doesnt seem practical for drives much greater than 40 miles.

alienator said:
Subaru Outback w/ bike inside.
Wouldn't that be a Subaru 'INback'?

My current 'bike rack' is a Jeep Cherokee. Same deal...bikes go inside with the gear.

alienator said:
Well, sure, I can sort of believe it, I mean a focus has a 5 star crash test rating.

The Smart...safe?

You've got to be kidding me.

I don't care if it's got a NINE-star 'safety' rating...hitting anything any larger than a skateboard in that thing...I hope you have your organ donar card filled out.

Another 'Smart car' driver will be needing them.

V2490-200.jpg

You still want to buy that 'smart' car?

The car I have is just right...I had a Mazda Protege' that needed wheelie bars

to carry a bicycle. :D

Julian G. said:
As far as a smart car being safe... well is your bike that much safer?
I don't ride my bicycle on an interstate highway. I do drive my vehicles on them...right beside semis doing 85 mph. I don't train out on state routes with traffic freight-training by at 65 mph.

I'll stick with my big sport-utes or at least something with enough power to get out of its' own way.

AS always, YMMV.

Regards,
Campybob

alienator said:
Subaru Outback w/ bike inside.
Abso...$*&@...lutely! Subaru! I had the Forester XT, but it flipped into a Bosnian ravine - now I have the Outback [still miss the XT, though...what power! but the Outback can fit even a tandem inside]

Subaru's and bikes go together like PB and J. Dealer in Trieste, Italy even gave me the full Subaru bibs, jersey, and glove set!

alienator said:
There are plenty of them 'round here, but they are strictly for in-town use. They are quick, nimble, easy to park at any angle, and even comfortable. However, they are even smaller than they look - it might be easier to carry a Smart on a bicycle, rather than the other way around! I'm not sure how one might use it to transport bikes, when finding a space for a helmet and shoes would be an issue.
I'm surprised that they would sell them in the States. If there is a market for a small car - you all can hope for the new 2007 version of the old "Fica" or "Cinquecento" - the Fiat 500. It is adorable...even though I like to older Fiat/Zastava ones better.

CAMPYBOB said:
I don't ride my bicycle on an interstate highway. I do drive my vehicles on them...right beside semis doing 85 mph. I don't train out on state routes with traffic freight-training by at 65 mph.

I'll stick with my big sport-utes or at least something with enough power to get out of its' own way.

AS always, YMMV.

Regards,
Campybob
You would be surprised by the power in a very small car for 'getting out of a tight spot' (I am usually underwhelmed when I am forced to drive a V450 when I visit relatives in the US, actually). You would actually have a lot of fun driving one. From my very little driving in large vehicles in the US, it seems that they are unable to get out of anything's way...

Also, the Smart is quite a safe car, and due to the fact that it does not (obviously) have much in the way of crumple zones, it has a special internal chassis that is quite tough. A friend of mine rolled one doing about 70 kp/h and ended up in a rather deep ditch by the side of a country road at night, and she walked away. Only about 2000 Euro worth of damage and she is still driving the same car a number of years later.

But all you need to convince you to buy smaller cars are gasoline prices like we have here in the Old World. Then you Americans would all be clamoring for subcompact Smarts. LOL.

Oh, by the way, here is the new model (apparently prepared for Amercian DOT regulations) bike rack for the Smart.

What's the best car for cycling when that one vehicle with your name on it pulls out in front of you, so last-second that THIS time you can't avoid it, no matter how defensively you've always ridden?

Would it be a pickup hood so that you could roll on top of it or over it? The pickup bed so you'd fly into it or over it? A convertible, so you could do a vault off the roll bar?

Or would it be that Mercedes S65 sedan so that your loved ones can sue the c*cksucker for everything they have after they spread your ashes on top of your favorite mountain climb.;)

Powerful Pete said:
You would be surprised by the power in a very small car for 'getting out of a tight spot' (I am usually underwhelmed when I am forced to drive a V450 when I visit relatives in the US, actually). You would actually have a lot of fun driving one. From my very little driving in large vehicles in the US, it seems that they are unable to get out of anything's way...

+1. Actually, I'm hard pressed to think of a situation wherein power will save you in that second or two you have. It's almost always maneuverability and braking that saves you, something which larger vehicles don't excel at.

Powerful Pete said:
Also, the Smart is quite a safe car, and due to the fact that it does not (obviously) have much in the way of crumple zones, it has a special internal chassis that is quite tough. A friend of mine rolled one doing about 70 kp/h and ended up in a rather deep ditch by the side of a country road at night, and she walked away. Only about 2000 Euro worth of damage and she is still driving the same car a number of years later.

Shhhh! Didn't you know that only big, pig SUV's are safe? Why do you think all those he-man American husbands encase their soccer-mom wives in 'em for their trip to the grocery store? :rolleyes:

Powerful Pete said:
But all you need to convince you to buy smaller cars are gasoline prices like we have here in the Old World. Then you Americans would all be clamoring for subcompact Smarts. LOL.

Obviously you don't understand how short sighted Americans are. See, it's apparently our right to have cheap gas, and iffin' we can't have it, then we'll just go liberate a country that does have it. See, over here, we really don't care about the future or the results of our actions. We only care about us and now. Screw everything else.

Christ, man: have you never seen a NASCAR race on tv? If not, then there's no way you can no what we're all about.

Bah!

In my driving career of nearly 40 years i've owned:

MGB-GT
Triumph Spitefire
Sunbeam Alpine
Austin-Healey 3000
Simca 1204 Gt (whadda piece of ****)
22 different VW bugs...the ORIGINAL bug
BMW 325i

And several I'm probably still trying to forget. I've got lawn mowers that are bigger than the Smart!

So please, don't even try to tell me small cars are 'safe'.

Not in any way. Shape. Or form.

No matter how many 'crush' zones, airbags or 'active' restraint systems they put in those death traps...they are nothing but tin coffins when they meet something bigger. Like a Ford F550 Super Duty 4x4, crew cab, lwb with sooper-soccer-mommy at the wheel applying makeup with one hand and yacking on the cell phone with the other while merging into 75mph traffic without so much as a glance at the mirrors while worrying if little Debbie strapped in the fifth row of theatre seats is going to be late for her piano recital...if you get my drift.

Quick? Anything with 80 hp (and I've owned cars with both less and more) is NOT quick by any stretch of the imagination unless it has two wheels and a Ducatti decal on the gas tank.

Sorry. The 'Smart' car is dumb for American roads and traffic.

Oh, I'm guessing the optional bike rack makes a rear-end collision almost and order of magnitude safer.

I'm not buying it. The car or the 'safety' bs.
Campy(the been there, done that, got the t-shirt)bob

Let us forget it. The big car vs. small car debate is a bit like Campagnolo vs. Shimano. I remain firmly convinced that large cars are no safer than smaller ones, and IMVHO (and obviously, relative to where I live and the driving I have to do) not at all useful/practical.

But let us get back to talking about bicycles!

CAMPYBOB said:
Bah!

In my driving career of nearly 40 years i've owned:

MGB-GT
Triumph Spitefire
Sunbeam Alpine
Austin-Healey 3000
Simca 1204 Gt (whadda piece of ****)
22 different VW bugs...the ORIGINAL bug
BMW 325i

And several I'm probably still trying to forget. I've got lawn mowers that are bigger than the Smart!

So please, don't even try to tell me small cars are 'safe'.

Not in any way. Shape. Or form.

No matter how many 'crush' zones, airbags or 'active' restraint systems they put in those death traps...they are nothing but tin coffins when they meet something bigger. Like a Ford F550 Super Duty 4x4, crew cab, lwb with sooper-soccer-mommy at the wheel applying makeup with one hand and yacking on the cell phone with the other while merging into 75mph traffic without so much as a glance at the mirrors while worrying if little Debbie strapped in the fifth row of theatre seats is going to be late for her piano recital...if you get my drift.

Quick? Anything with 80 hp (and I've owned cars with both less and more) is NOT quick by any stretch of the imagination unless it has two wheels and a Ducatti decal on the gas tank.

Sorry. The 'Smart' car is dumb for American roads and traffic.

Oh, I'm guessing the optional bike rack makes a rear-end collision almost and order of magnitude safer.

I'm not buying it. The car or the 'safety' bs.
Campy(the been there, done that, got the t-shirt)bob

Spoken with all the sense of someone who has zero grasp on science, engineering, and/or design.

How appropriate. The quoted post is a great reason why 'mericans will always be too stupid to find an alternative way to go.