What's the Best Headphones?

Mike Demicco

Guest
I just got an mp3 CD player and have used it off-road a couple of times. It's a Panasonic CD Jogger
with a ***** pack and a remote - works great. I have the Sony headphones that fit into your ear with
the ear loops that fit over your ears. These are OK, but I get a lot of wind noise and they kind of
hurt my ears. I haven't yet tried the behind the neck type of headphone. What's the best kind of
headphones/earphones and brand/model for bike riding?

On 27 Nov 2003 00:11:54 GMT, Mike DeMicco wrote:

> What's the best kind of headphones/earphones and brand/model for bike riding?

Generally, the answer is none, particularly on singletrack. Its a good way to hit someone on a
trail, or at the very least **** them off severely.

I have worn headphones while riding fireroads, with varying success. It does make the boring
fireroad rides more interesting, however on one ride there was a rut I was focusing on, and suddenly
I noticed some other riders just up ahead - startled, I lost focus on the rut and crashed. I would
have easily heard them if I wasn't jammin' to Bob Marley, and I wouldn't have gotten started by
their presence.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least) "It's a shallow life that
doesn't give a person a few scars" - Garrison Keillor

Mike DeMicco asks:

>What's the best kind of headphones/earphones and brand/model for bike riding?

You don't need headphones to listen to the voices in your head ;-) Or the music in there, either...

Steve

Mike DeMicco murmured while asleep:
> I just got an mp3 CD player and have used it off-road a couple of times. It's a Panasonic CD
> Jogger with a ***** pack and a remote - works great. I have the Sony headphones that fit into your
> ear with the ear loops that fit over your ears. These are OK, but I get a lot of wind noise and
> they kind of hurt my ears. I haven't yet tried the behind the neck type of headphone. What's the
> best kind of headphones/earphones and brand/model for bike riding?

None? It's not real wise to tune out on the trail ( IMO) you can't hear other riders coming up
behind you for one thing, I'm sure there are other good reasons.

Penny S

Mike DeMicco wrote:

> I just got an mp3 CD player and have used it off-road a couple of times. It's a Panasonic CD
> Jogger with a ***** pack and a remote - works great. I have the Sony headphones that fit into your
> ear with the ear loops that fit over your ears. These are OK, but I get a lot of wind noise and
> they kind of hurt my ears. I haven't yet tried the behind the neck type of headphone. What's the
> best kind of headphones/earphones and brand/model for bike riding?

personally I just use my sony netMD and the sony earphones with 'mega-bass' or some shitty gimmick
like that. They're just your average in-ear phones with a big bit sitcking into your ear for the
bass. Turn em up loud and you wont hear any wind for the tunes.

all good.

what music you into?

Small Black Dog

BB wrote:

> On 27 Nov 2003 00:11:54 GMT, Mike DeMicco wrote:
>

>>What's the best kind of headphones/earphones and brand/model for bike riding?
>

> Generally, the answer is none, particularly on singletrack. Its a good way to hit someone on a
> trail, or at the very least **** them off severely.

blah blah blah

The guy asked for headphone recommendations, not advice on wearing should he be wearing headphones
in the first place.

Small Black Dog

Penny S wrote:

> Mike DeMicco murmured while asleep:
>
>>I just got an mp3 CD player and have used it off-road a couple of times. It's a Panasonic CD
>>Jogger with a ***** pack and a remote - works great. I have the Sony headphones that fit into your
>>ear with the ear loops that fit over your ears. These are OK, but I get a lot of wind noise and
>>they kind of hurt my ears. I haven't yet tried the behind the neck type of headphone. What's the
>>best kind of headphones/earphones and brand/model for bike riding?
>

> None? It's not real wise to tune out on the trail ( IMO) you can't hear other riders coming up
> behind you for one thing, I'm sure there are other good reasons.
>
> Penny S

blah blah blah

The guy asked for headphone recommendations, not advice on wearing should he be wearing headphones
in the first place.

Small Black Dog

"Small Black Dog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> BB wrote:
>
> > On 27 Nov 2003 00:11:54 GMT, Mike DeMicco wrote:
> >

> >>What's the best kind of headphones/earphones and brand/model for bike riding?
> >

> > Generally, the answer is none, particularly on singletrack. Its a good
way
> > to hit someone on a trail, or at the very least **** them off severely.
>
> blah blah blah
>
> The guy asked for headphone recommendations, not advice on wearing should he be wearing headphones
> in the first place.

He asked about headphones in a biking newsgroup. He got an opinion, which I share, about
listening to music while cycling. (I use Sony ear buds, the kind with the foam surround, but
NEVER when cycling).

I notice that you added nothing about earphones. All you did was **** and moan about someone
else's opinion.

Don't let the mouse hit you on the way out.........

---

"Mike DeMicco" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just got an mp3 CD player and have used it off-road a couple of times. It's a Panasonic CD
> Jogger with a ***** pack and a remote - works great. I have the Sony headphones that fit into your
> ear with the ear loops that
fit
> over your ears. These are OK, but I get a lot of wind noise and they kind of hurt my ears. I
> haven't yet tried the behind the neck type of headphone. What's the best kind of
> headphones/earphones and brand/model for bike riding?

None, unless you get a noise reduction (the ones that cover the whole ear) you're going to get some
wind noise. But I doubt the noise reductions work real well with a helmet.

Chris

"Mike DeMicco" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just got an mp3 CD player and have used it off-road a couple of times. It's a Panasonic CD
> Jogger with a ***** pack and a remote - works great. I have the Sony headphones that fit into your
> ear with the ear loops that
fit
> over your ears. These are OK, but I get a lot of wind noise and they kind of hurt my ears. I
> haven't yet tried the behind the neck type of headphone. What's the best kind of
> headphones/earphones and brand/model for bike riding?

Although opinions vary on wearing headphones on the trail, I have done so on occasion when I'm
running or riding where there won't be other people. Mostly, I use mine for travel.

Some good 'phones to get are the Sony MDR-EX70 (or 71's now) earbuds. Great noise blocking and they
sound really nice.

If you want the best (and are willing to pay for it) get Etymotics. If you want the best value
get Sonys.

Ride responsibly and don't jam the tunes where you are going to be sharing the trail!

Matt

What's the best kind of headphones/earphones and brand/model
> for bike riding?

Go to www.koss.com and get "the plug". Foam ear pieces that fit your ear canel and do reduce wind
blow by. Do sharpen your visual focus, you are loosing audible focus. I can say that after 5+ years
riding with music I only stacked up once, on an incoming motocross rider!

I ride to all types of music. Reggae, Ska, Rock, Jazz, Fusion, Dancehall, Dub Reggae. As long as
there is a driving beat I'm there!

Mtbchip

Small Black Dog <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> personally I just use my sony netMD and the sony earphones with 'mega-bass' or some shitty gimmick
> like that. They're just your average in-ear phones with a big bit sitcking into your ear for the
> bass. Turn em up loud and you wont hear any wind for the tunes.
>
> all good.
>
> what music you into?

Pretty much classic rock stuff.

I think you have the same ones that I have. I saw some Koss earphones that look like ear plugs.
They look like they would block the wind noise but I don't know how comfortable they are or how
well they stay in.

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 01:19:18 +0000 (UTC), Small Black Dog wrote:

> blah blah blah
>
> The guy asked for headphone recommendations, not advice on wearing should he be wearing headphones
> in the first place.

So if somebody asks you what's the best firecracker to stick in your mouth, you're going to give him
a brand? I've already had one nasty stack because of listening to music on a trail. If someone says
they're wanting to make that same mistake, I'm going to give them a warning, not a make and model.

--

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 00:48:57 +0000, Stephen Baker wrote:

> You don't need headphones to listen to the voices in your head ;-) Or the music in there,
> either...

Ill second that. I can make my own music, whilst still having audible awareness. I have tried riding
with music, but I just feel tuned (scuse the pun) out to the trail.

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 11:11:03 +0000, Matthew Paterson wrote:

> Ill second that. I can make my own music, whilst still having audible awareness. I have tried
> riding with music, but I just feel tuned (scuse the pun) out to the trail.

But good earphones are the Sony Fontopia. I rode with them, with my MD blasted up full, and didnt
hear anything else but the music.

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

"BB" wrote in > On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 01:19:18 +0000 (UTC), Small Black Dog wrote:

> > blah blah blah
> >
> > The guy asked for headphone recommendations, not advice on wearing should he be wearing
> > headphones in the first place.
>
> So if somebody asks you what's the best firecracker to stick in your mouth, you're going to give
> him a brand? I've already had one nasty stack because of listening to music on a trail. If
> someone says they're wanting to make that same mistake, I'm going to give them a warning, not a
> make and model.
>
> --
> -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least) "It's a shallow life
> that doesn't give a person a few scars" - Garrison Keillor

Nah, no-name brands work fine for that, but do go to your LFCS (Local Firecracker Shop) and try a
few for size. If its too small you can use shims.

Rob

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 05:46:17 -0500 (EST), [email protected] wrote:
> You ever ride and never see another soul. So that makes you the only soul on the
> trail. So if he wants to ride with heaphones more power to him. I can't pornounce
> the name but its German and it starts with S. Any help here.

Sennheiser.

--

Penny S wrote:
> Mike DeMicco murmured while asleep:
>
>>I just got an mp3 CD player and have used it off-road a couple of times. It's a Panasonic CD
>>Jogger with a ***** pack and a remote - works great. I have the Sony headphones that fit into your
>>ear with the ear loops that fit over your ears. These are OK, but I get a lot of wind noise and
>>they kind of hurt my ears. I haven't yet tried the behind the neck type of headphone. What's the
>>best kind of headphones/earphones and brand/model for bike riding?
>

> None? It's not real wise to tune out on the trail ( IMO) you can't hear other riders coming up
> behind you for one thing, I'm sure there are other good reasons.

Amen. I have two dedicated headphone wearers in my household, both of whom will swear on a
stack of bibles that they do not block ambient sound, and that they can hear what's going on
around them perfectly well. I subjected headphone wearer #2 (by far the more egregious of
the pair) to a scientific experiment. I spoke only in normal tones, and only at times when
one might reasonably expect someone to be speaking - no sneaking up and whispering through
the bathroom door or any such things. Unless I approached her head on and made direct eye
contact before speaking, she was consistantly unaware that she was being addressed. Having
established the fact that she was opting to make herself functionally deaf, I then set out
to train her in the appropriate and inappropriate uses of the device. Basically, if I spoke
to her once and she either failed to respond, or answered with "HUH?", she received negative
reinforcement in the form of a smack administered to the back of the head. Being a quick
learner, she was able to modify her behavior rapidly enough to avoid head trauma from
repeated smacks, and now uses headphones only while studying, reading or exercising. She has
also developed extremely acute peripheral vision and some of the fastest reflexes I've ever
seen in a 13 year-old human. A mere flicker of motion in her side vision causes her to whip
the ear-buds out while simultaneously ducking.

Kathleen

"Kathleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... snip
> She has also developed extremely acute peripheral vision and some of the fastest reflexes I've
> ever seen in a 13 year-old human. A mere flicker of motion in her side vision causes her to whip
> the ear-buds out while simultaneously ducking.
>
> Kathleen

That'd be a pretty funny story, if it weren't for all the smacking your kid in the back of the head.

Chris