What's the Best Headphones?

> I think you have the same ones that I have. I saw some Koss earphones that look like ear plugs.
> They look like they would block the wind noise but I don't know how comfortable they are or how
> well they stay in.

I've got those. Koss the Plug. They work very well, you don't hear anything that's going on outside
and I've found them pretty comfortable as well. They are very basic compared to the Sony Fontopia
headphones, but seem to work just fine.

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/SPdispCall?ReadForm&THEPLUG

I personally don't ride with them, or with any other headphones. I guess I'm not that bored riding a
bike yet...;)

Juho

Chris murmured while asleep:
> "Kathleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... snip
>> She has also developed extremely acute peripheral vision and some of the fastest reflexes I've
>> ever seen in a 13 year-old human. A mere flicker of motion in her side vision causes her to whip
>> the ear-buds out while simultaneously ducking.
>>
>> Kathleen
>>

> That'd be a pretty funny story, if it weren't for all the smacking your kid in the back of
> the head.
>
> Chris

I seriously doubt it was damaging or abuse, if that's the insuniation. Having teens, too... when
they are engrossed like that, it's either a (mild) thump on the head, or standing in front of them
wildly gesturing and flapping your arms to get their attention, which frankly, embarasses them.

penny s

Penny S wrote:
> Chris murmured while asleep:
>
>>"Kathleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... snip
>>
>>>She has also developed extremely acute peripheral vision and some of the fastest reflexes I've
>>>ever seen in a 13 year-old human. A mere flicker of motion in her side vision causes her to whip
>>>the ear-buds out while simultaneously ducking.
>>>
>>>Kathleen
>>>

>>That'd be a pretty funny story, if it weren't for all the smacking your kid in the back of
>>the head.
>>
>>Chris
>

> I seriously doubt it was damaging or abuse, if that's the insuniation. Having teens, too... when
> they are engrossed like that, it's either a (mild) thump on the head, or standing in front of them
> wildly gesturing and flapping your arms to get their attention, which frankly, embarasses them.

It's an open-handed thump, more annoying than painful, yet substantially less aggravating for all
concerned than sustained verbal nagging.

Kathleen

"Kathleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Penny S wrote:
> > Chris murmured while asleep:

> >>That'd be a pretty funny story, if it weren't for all the smacking your kid in the back of
> >>the head.
> >>
> >>Chris
> >

> > I seriously doubt it was damaging or abuse, if that's the insuniation. Having teens, too... when
> > they are engrossed like that, it's either a
(mild)
> > thump on the head, or standing in front of them wildly gesturing and flapping your arms to get
> > their attention, which frankly, embarasses
them.

> It's an open-handed thump, more annoying than painful, yet substantially less aggravating for all
> concerned than sustained verbal nagging.
>
> Kathleen

Mmmmm, To smack or not to smack - BIG debate over here in the UK and the rest of Europe (I'm
assuming you're in the US Kathleen).

I'm not sure if it's actually illegal here yet - if it's not there's a good chance it soon will
be and I'd probably end up getting charged with child abuse for clipping mine round the head as
you describe!

I've got two teenage kids and I've never had to lay a hand on them. Sure, I've wanted to strangle
them a couple of times over the years but it never got to that. Talking to them like adults
worked for us as it did with my parents and me (takes a lot of patience sometimes I admit). My
wife, on the other hand, was regularly slapped as a kid and she still talks about it. Emotional
baggage and all that.

And don't worry about embarrassing kids, that's what parents are for as far as teenagers are
concerned. I threaten my daughter with "Dads Dancing" if she won't behave at a party - works every
time. I've also threatened to turn up at her friends to pick her up in my bib-shorts :)

Later

Fred

We're going way OT here!

If you need music to keep you occupied then you arnt riding hard enough :)

You should at least fall off at 40mph, hit a tree and then fall down a hillside on every ride. You
are then allowed to get a pair of headphones once this happens on a regular basis..

By authority of me, Im sure you all agree.

Cheers, Tom

"Mike DeMicco" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just got an mp3 CD player and have used it off-road a couple of times. It's a Panasonic CD
> Jogger with a ***** pack and a remote - works great. I have the Sony headphones that fit into your
> ear with the ear loops that
fit

"Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> If you need music to keep you occupied then you arnt riding hard enough :)
>
> You should at least fall off at 40mph, hit a tree and then fall down a hillside on every ride. You
> are then allowed to get a pair of headphones once this happens on a regular basis..

And don't worry, the hospital will supply them free of charge :)

> By authority of me, Im sure you all agree.
>
> Cheers, Tom

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You ever ride and never see another soul. So that makes you the only soul on the
> trail. So if he wants to ride with heaphones more power to him. I can't pornounce
> the name but its German and it starts with S. Any help here.
>
> Fire up MTB 03

It's not the people he sees that are the problem, the problem starts with the people he doesn't see
... ever watch some chick drive down the road, almost cause an accident then keep driving completely
oblivious?

C.Q.C.

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 19:30:11 -0000, Fred Fragger wrote:

> Mmmmm, To smack or not to smack - BIG debate over here in the UK and the rest of Europe (I'm
> assuming you're in the US Kathleen).

The problem is that "smack" doesn't give any indication of velocity - anything from a swift tap on
the back of the head to things much worse. In almost all cases, its going to mean the former but
people like to blow things out of proportion these days.

> We're going way OT here!

Slow week for riding. Getting back to the subject, Kathleen's point was that one really can't hear
most ambient noises with earbuds, as much as some might like to think. I stopped wearing them not so
much because of the danger (I never wore them on singletrack) but because it made social interaction
difficult. Our fireroads get pretty busy, but people don't just ignore each other like roadies;
there's always some exchange of greetings. So I'd either have to take off the phones, or act like an
unsocial jerk.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least) "It's a shallow life that
doesn't give a person a few scars" - Garrison Keillor

> Slow week for riding. Getting back to the subject, Kathleen's point was that one really can't hear
> most ambient noises with earbuds, as much as some might like to think. I stopped wearing them not
> so much because of the danger (I never wore them on singletrack) but because it made social
> interaction difficult. Our fireroads get pretty busy, but people don't just ignore each other like
> roadies; there's always some exchange of greetings. So I'd either have to take off the phones, or
> act like an unsocial jerk.
>
> --
> -BB-

On the headphone front I'm with JD - don't wear them at all. However, I will admit to sometimes
wearing a single headphone with boom-mike combo that allows me to chat with wife while we're out on
the bikes! The radio clips on to my Camelbak strap and the PTT (Push To Talk) button is fitted to
the handlebar. Sounds a bit much and we sometimes get some strange looks (silly ol' bugger, he's
taking to himself) but it's actually a good crack and stops you having to keep asking each other to
repeat what you just said when you're on singletrack. Also handy when I get separated from 'er
indoors in the woods and she gets frightened :)

Later,

Fred

Q. murmured while asleep:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> You ever ride and never see another soul. So that makes you the only soul on the
>> trail. So if he wants to ride with heaphones more power to him. I can't pornounce
>> the name but its German and it starts with S. Any help here.
>>
>> Fire up MTB 03
>>

> It's not the people he sees that are the problem, the problem starts with the people he doesn't
> see ... ever watch some chick drive down the road, almost cause an accident then keep driving
> completely oblivious?
>
> C.Q.C.

never watched a chick do it, but I see plenty of guys trying to drive, stuff a burger in their mouth
and talk on the cell phone at the same time.

ps

> Nah, no-name brands work fine for that, but do go to your LFCS (Local Firecracker Shop) and try a
> few for size. If its too small you can use shims.
>
> Rob

lol. All you need is a SS rig really!!!

Small Black Dog

Mike DeMicco <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I just got an mp3 CD player and have used it off-road a couple of times. It's a Panasonic CD
> Jogger with a ***** pack and a remote - works great. I have the Sony headphones that fit into your
> ear with the ear loops that fit over your ears. These are OK, but I get a lot of wind noise and
> they kind of hurt my ears. I haven't yet tried the behind the neck type of headphone. What's the
> best kind of headphones/earphones and brand/model for bike riding?

Why not put a screen on the handlebars and watch a film while you ride? If you're that bored when
you ride maybe you should be off kitesurfing or something.

cheers

Gaz

BB wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 19:30:11 -0000, Fred Fragger wrote:
>

>>Mmmmm, To smack or not to smack - BIG debate over here in the UK and the rest of Europe (I'm
>>assuming you're in the US Kathleen).
>

> The problem is that "smack" doesn't give any indication of velocity - anything from a swift tap on
> the back of the head to things much worse.

The most annoying thing to her was the potential for hair disarrangement.

In
> almost all cases, its going to mean the former but people like to blow things out of proportion
> these days.

I'll say.

>>We're going way OT here!
>

> Slow week for riding. Getting back to the subject, Kathleen's point was that one really can't hear
> most ambient noises with earbuds, as much as some might like to think. I stopped wearing them not
> so much because of the danger (I never wore them on singletrack) but because it made social
> interaction difficult. Our fireroads get pretty busy, but people don't just ignore each other like
> roadies; there's always some exchange of greetings. So I'd either have to take off the phones, or
> act like an unsocial jerk.

That's what bothers me - you practically have to make an appointment to speak to a headphone wearer
- casual conversation is impossible... "Hey did you-" "HUH?" "I SAID, DID YOU-" "WAIT A SECOND, LET
ME PAUSE THIS SONG...... Okay now, whaaaat?"

Kathleen

Autopilot anybody?

d'

Kathleen Said:

> >>I just got an mp3 CD player and have used it off-road a couple of times. It's a Panasonic CD
> >>Jogger with a ***** pack and a remote - works great. I have the Sony headphones that fit into
> >>your ear with the ear loops that fit over your ears. These are OK, but I get a lot of wind
> >>noise and they kind of hurt my ears. I haven't yet tried the behind the neck type of headphone.
> >>What's the best kind of headphones/earphones and brand/model for bike riding?
> >

> > None? It's not real wise to tune out on the trail ( IMO) you can't hear other riders coming up
> > behind you for one thing, I'm sure there are other good reasons.
>
> Amen. I have two dedicated headphone wearers in my household, both of whom will swear on a
> stack of bibles that they do not block ambient sound, and that they can hear what's going on
> around them perfectly well. I subjected headphone wearer #2 (by far the more egregious of
> the pair) to a scientific experiment. I spoke only in normal tones, and only at times when
> one might reasonably expect someone to be speaking - no sneaking up and whispering through
> the bathroom door or any such things. Unless I approached her head on and made direct eye
> contact before speaking, she was consistantly unaware that she was being addressed.

Bull. Unless she had the volume up too high, or she uses crappy headphones. I ride with my player
when I commute, (not on trails, I find it interferes with listening to nature) in heavy/no traffic,
and I feel perfectly safe. Well, as safe as one can be near crazy drivers.

I can carry on a normal conversation with the music on, and that is good enough for me.

PS: They are sony earbuds that come with my Sony D-NE1.

My point is, that the music/headphones interferes in no way with my hearing.

PP I also ride without a helmet.

--

QUIPd 1.02: (338 of 674) -> I believe you should live each day as if it is your last, -> which is
why I don't have any clean laundry because, come on, -> who wants to wash clothes on the last day of

gazzer Said:

> Mike DeMicco <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > I just got an mp3 CD player and have used it off-road a couple of times. It's a Panasonic CD
> > Jogger with a ***** pack and a remote - works great. I have the Sony headphones that fit into
> > your ear with the ear loops that fit over your ears. These are OK, but I get a lot of wind noise
> > and they kind of hurt my ears. I haven't yet tried the behind the neck type of headphone. What's
> > the best kind of headphones/earphones and brand/model for bike riding?
>
> Why not put a screen on the handlebars and watch a film while you ride? If you're that bored when
> you ride maybe you should be off kitesurfing or something.

Well, I'd rather be kitesurfing than biking anyway! But the big water is too far from here...

--

QUIPd 1.02: (99 of 674) -> Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.
##3286 #'Mandrake Linux.'

In article <[email protected]>, Mike DeMicco wrote:
> I just got an mp3 CD player and have used it off-road a couple of times. It's a Panasonic CD
> Jogger with a ***** pack and a remote - works great. I have the Sony headphones that fit into your
> ear with the ear loops that fit over your ears. These are OK, but I get a lot of wind noise and
> they kind of hurt my ears. I haven't yet tried the behind the neck type of headphone. What's the
> best kind of headphones/earphones and brand/model for bike riding?

The iPod headphones work great. I can hear everything going on outside. I run it up my shirt. They
are light and pull from the ears quickly. I never use 'em on the trail, as I like all my senses, and
I prefer the sound of the woods, desserts and forests over jams. But I do use them on the streets
and long commutes in the city. Like I said I have absolutely no issues with hearing surrounding
noise over the music. You'd have to own an iPod to understand. They just don't get that loud and do
not seal out outside decibals.