What's the best mud tire for XC?

B. Sanders

Guest
Local trails can get sloppy sometimes with clay mud. It's slippery as ice, and likes to pack-up
almost any kind of tire. My Hutch Pythons are great for everything except mud, so I need
something better.

I might want to try a bigger tire, say 2.3" wide; but don't want anything over 850 grams (unless
it's by far the best choice). A lightweight mud-shedding all-around XC performance tire is what I'm
looking for. Should be decent on hardpack, soft sandy dirt, grass, roots and rockfields too. Speeds
will not be high, so that's not an issue.

These tires appear to be good candidates:

Kenda Kenetics 2.35 (735gm, nice and cheap) Maxxis Mofo 2.35 (a little heavy at 1006gm) WTB
Mutanoraptor 2.4 (recommended to me) Intense System 4 2.25 (mud tire?) WTB Velociraptor 2.1 (classic
all-conditions XC) Panaracer FireXC Pro (best all-around, not a mud tire)

I'm sure there are others. I've seen most of these on sale from various web catalogs (Nashbar,
Supergo, JensonUSA, etc). The Kenda Kenetics 2.35's are OEM on quite a few bikes, which makes me
think they're a good choice. Also, at $19.95/ea from Supergo, they're a bargain.

What's your favorite mud-loving XC tire?

TIA,

Barry

I'm not sure about the rest of them but I doubt you could go wrong with the mofo.

"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:LWWpa.607815$L1.171856@sccrnsc02...
> Local trails can get sloppy sometimes with clay mud. It's slippery as ice, and likes to pack-up
> almost any kind of tire. My Hutch Pythons are great
for
> everything except mud, so I need something better.
>
> I might want to try a bigger tire, say 2.3" wide; but don't want anything over 850 grams (unless
> it's by far the best choice). A lightweight mud-shedding all-around XC performance tire is what
> I'm looking for.
Should
> be decent on hardpack, soft sandy dirt, grass, roots and rockfields too. Speeds will not be high,
> so that's not an issue.
>
> These tires appear to be good candidates:
>
> Kenda Kenetics 2.35 (735gm, nice and cheap) Maxxis Mofo 2.35 (a little heavy at 1006gm) WTB
> Mutanoraptor 2.4 (recommended to me) Intense System 4 2.25 (mud tire?) WTB Velociraptor 2.1
> (classic all-conditions XC) Panaracer FireXC Pro (best all-around, not a mud tire)
>
> I'm sure there are others. I've seen most of these on sale from various
web
> catalogs (Nashbar, Supergo, JensonUSA, etc). The Kenda Kenetics 2.35's
are
> OEM on quite a few bikes, which makes me think they're a good choice.
Also,
> at $19.95/ea from Supergo, they're a bargain.
>
> What's your favorite mud-loving XC tire?
>
> TIA,
>
> Barry

If you've been happy with Hutchy tires, look at the Mosquitoes. They have big, widely spaced knobs
that shed mud real well (not extra-thick sludge...that sticks in anyhting), they corner better than
I had expected when on hardpack, roll better than I had expected, and the tread is holding up very
well. I've been using the UST version, but the vitals should be similar.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.asp?number=39432 http://pricepoint.com/product47.html
http://pricepoint.com/product1068.html

Chris

> "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:LWWpa.607815$L1.171856@sccrnsc02...
> > Local trails can get sloppy sometimes with clay mud. It's slippery as
ice,
> > and likes to pack-up almost any kind of tire. My Hutch Pythons are great
> for
> > everything except mud, so I need something better.
> >
> > I might want to try a bigger tire, say 2.3" wide; but don't want
anything
> > over 850 grams (unless it's by far the best choice). A lightweight mud-shedding all-around XC
> > performance tire is what I'm looking for.
> Should
> > be decent on hardpack, soft sandy dirt, grass, roots and rockfields too. Speeds will not be
> > high, so that's not an issue.
> >
> > These tires appear to be good candidates:
> >
> > Kenda Kenetics 2.35 (735gm, nice and cheap) Maxxis Mofo 2.35 (a little heavy at 1006gm) WTB
> > Mutanoraptor 2.4 (recommended to me) Intense System 4 2.25 (mud tire?) WTB Velociraptor 2.1
> > (classic all-conditions XC) Panaracer FireXC Pro (best all-around, not a mud tire)
> >
> > I'm sure there are others. I've seen most of these on sale from various
> web
> > catalogs (Nashbar, Supergo, JensonUSA, etc). The Kenda Kenetics 2.35's
> are
> > OEM on quite a few bikes, which makes me think they're a good choice.
> Also,
> > at $19.95/ea from Supergo, they're a bargain.
> >
> > What's your favorite mud-loving XC tire?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Barry
>
> If you've been happy with Hutchy tires, look at the Mosquitoes. They have big, widely spaced knobs
> that shed mud real well (not extra-thick sludge...that sticks in anyhting), they corner better
> than I had expected when on hardpack, roll better than I had expected, and the tread is
holding
> up very well. I've been using the UST version, but the vitals should be similar.
>
> http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.asp?number=39432 http://pricepoint.com/product47.html
> http://pricepoint.com/product1068.html

Thanks Chris. Have you had any problem with knobs ripping off of your Mosquitos? I've heard that
complaint a time or two. Otherwise, they look pretty sweet. I wish they had a little more air volume
(based on what I've seen, anyway). Good sale prices on Mosquitos right now, and that's *always* a
good thing!

-Barry

ClydesdaleMTB says:

>Continental Survival Pro 2.3!

It would _have_ to be called "Survival" to last on one of your bikes

;-)

Steve

"John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Continental Survival Pro 2.3!

I agree, I have the 2.1 on my bike and it makes one kick ass rear tire, might be a bit over board
for the front though. They won't slip on anything except the rare wet root on a STEEP incline. I've
powered up 10% grade (wet) rock gardens no problem, and this is hammering the pedals, not spinning.
Plus, they look cool, and you can get them for around $25. They will save you a lot of bashed knees
when your rear wheel slips on the hills. Plus, it is amazing how quickly the mud flies off these
things, better than eggs on teflon. And you're not gonna have mud in your eyes like my Bontragers,
just all over your legs =).

"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:LWWpa.607815$L1.171856@sccrnsc02...
> > > Local trails can get sloppy sometimes with clay mud. It's slippery as
> ice,
> > > and likes to pack-up almost any kind of tire. My Hutch Pythons are
great
> > for
> > > everything except mud, so I need something better.
> > >
> > > I might want to try a bigger tire, say 2.3" wide; but don't want
> anything
> > > over 850 grams (unless it's by far the best choice). A lightweight mud-shedding all-around XC
> > > performance tire is what I'm looking for.
> > Should
> > > be decent on hardpack, soft sandy dirt, grass, roots and rockfields
too.
> > > Speeds will not be high, so that's not an issue.
> > >
> > > These tires appear to be good candidates:
> > >
> > > Kenda Kenetics 2.35 (735gm, nice and cheap) Maxxis Mofo 2.35 (a little heavy at 1006gm) WTB
> > > Mutanoraptor 2.4 (recommended to me) Intense System 4 2.25 (mud tire?) WTB Velociraptor 2.1
> > > (classic all-conditions XC) Panaracer FireXC Pro (best all-around, not a mud tire)
> > >
> > > I'm sure there are others. I've seen most of these on sale from
various
> > web
> > > catalogs (Nashbar, Supergo, JensonUSA, etc). The Kenda Kenetics
2.35's
> > are
> > > OEM on quite a few bikes, which makes me think they're a good choice.
> > Also,
> > > at $19.95/ea from Supergo, they're a bargain.
> > >
> > > What's your favorite mud-loving XC tire?
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > >
> > > Barry
> >
> > If you've been happy with Hutchy tires, look at the Mosquitoes. They
have
> > big, widely spaced knobs that shed mud real well (not extra-thick sludge...that sticks in
> > anyhting), they corner better than I had
expected
> > when on hardpack, roll better than I had expected, and the tread is
> holding
> > up very well. I've been using the UST version, but the vitals should be similar.
> >
> > http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.asp?number=39432 http://pricepoint.com/product47.html
> > http://pricepoint.com/product1068.html
>
> Thanks Chris. Have you had any problem with knobs ripping off of your Mosquitos? I've heard that
> complaint a time or two. Otherwise, they look pretty sweet. I wish they had a little more air
> volume (based on what
I've
> seen, anyway). Good sale prices on Mosquitos right now, and that's
*always*
> a good thing!
>
> -Barry

I have a couple hundred miles on my Mosquitoes; and, because they were my only set of tubeless
tires for a while, they have quite a bit of road miles on them too. Like I said earlier, I am real
impressed with the tread wear. All knobs are intact, and they look pretty new. If they rolled
faster (they are a mud tire after all) I wouldn't even be swapping them off for the Seracs...and I
love Seracs.

Do bear in mind I am running the UST version, so the rubber compound is a bit different (anyone
have solid info?) than tubed versions. All Hutchy tires in the Airlight series are weak - they
trade durability for ~20 grams of weight savings. If you get regular or Gold Mosuitoes you'll
probably be alright.

Chris

Lightweight wrote:
> "John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>Continental Survival Pro 2.3!
> I agree, I have the 2.1 on my bike and it makes one kick ass rear tire, might be a bit over board
> for the front though.

Sorry, I should have clarified.... I run a 2.1" Survival ProTection in the rear, and a 2.3" Survival
Rro in the front. (They dont make a ProTection in the 2.3" size)

"John G" <[email protected]> wrote news:[email protected]...

> Lightweight wrote:
> > "John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>Continental Survival Pro 2.3!
> > I agree, I have the 2.1 on my bike and it makes one kick ass rear tire, might be a bit over
> > board for the front though.
>
> Sorry, I should have clarified.... I run a 2.1" Survival ProTection in the rear, and a 2.3"
> Survival Rro in the front. (They dont make a ProTection in the 2.3" size)

Yes they do, the Survival ProTection is available in 2.3" size also. http://www.contitires.com/

/Leo

Leo wrote:
> "John G" <[email protected]> wrote news:[email protected]...
>

>>Lightweight wrote:

>>>I agree, I have the 2.1 on my bike and it makes one kick ass rear tire, might be a bit over board
>>>for the front though.
>>
>>Sorry, I should have clarified.... I run a 2.1" Survival ProTection in the rear, and a 2.3"
>>Survival Rro in the front. (They dont make a ProTection in the 2.3" size)
>>

> Yes they do, the Survival ProTection is available in 2.3" size also. http://www.contitires.com/

Well, they didn't last year ;-( or I would be runnin it now.

> "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > ice,
> great
> > > for

> > anything
> > > Should
> too.

> various
> > > web
> 2.35's
> > > are
> > > Also,

> > > If you've been happy with Hutchy tires, look at the Mosquitoes. They
> have
> > > big, widely spaced knobs that shed mud real well (not extra-thick sludge...that sticks in
> > > anyhting), they corner better than I had
> expected
> > > when on hardpack, roll better than I had expected, and the tread is
> > holding
> > > up very well. I've been using the UST version, but the vitals should
be
> > > similar.
> > >
> > > http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.asp?number=39432 http://pricepoint.com/product47.html
> > > http://pricepoint.com/product1068.html
> >
> > Thanks Chris. Have you had any problem with knobs ripping off of your Mosquitos? I've heard that
> > complaint a time or two. Otherwise, they
look
> > pretty sweet. I wish they had a little more air volume (based on what
> I've
> > seen, anyway). Good sale prices on Mosquitos right now, and that's
> *always*
> > a good thing!
> >
> > -Barry
>
> I have a couple hundred miles on my Mosquitoes; and, because they were my only set of tubeless
> tires for a while, they have quite a bit of road
miles
> on them too. Like I said earlier, I am real impressed with the tread
wear.
> All knobs are intact, and they look pretty new. If they rolled faster
(they
> are a mud tire after all) I wouldn't even be swapping them off for the Seracs...and I love Seracs.
>
> Do bear in mind I am running the UST version, so the rubber compound is a bit different (anyone
> have solid info?) than tubed versions. All Hutchy tires in the Airlight series are weak - they
> trade durability for ~20
grams
> of weight savings. If you get regular or Gold Mosuitoes you'll probably
be
> alright.
>
> Chris

I've got a few hundred km's on my Mosquitos. I like them. Good and grippy in the muck, shed mud
nicely. Work well on the gravel, hardpack and dry too. As Chris said, better than I'd have expected
on the hardpack. One thing that I don't like is I often ride 5-10km's on tarmac from the house to
get to the trails. The tyres don't like that and are wearing fast. While the knobs aren't ripping
off like some have said, they are wearing very fast. Especially because the tarmac on these roads
uses a large grade chip and is very coarse. I've also had some issues with the 'Airlight'
construction that the Hutchy tyres use. I was destroying Pythons fast due to sidewall damage but the
Mosquitos have been 100% OK so far. If nothingelse, try them. I don't think that you could go far
wrong with them.
--
Westie

"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<LWWpa.607815$L1.171856@sccrnsc02>...
> Local trails can get sloppy sometimes with clay mud. It's slippery as ice, and likes to pack-up
> almost any kind of tire. My Hutch Pythons are great for everything except mud, so I need
> something better.
>
> I might want to try a bigger tire, say 2.3" wide; but don't want anything over 850 grams (unless
> it's by far the best choice). A lightweight mud-shedding all-around XC performance tire is what
> I'm looking for. Should be decent on hardpack, soft sandy dirt, grass, roots and rockfields too.
> Speeds will not be high, so that's not an issue.
>
> These tires appear to be good candidates:
>
> Kenda Kenetics 2.35 (735gm, nice and cheap) Maxxis Mofo 2.35 (a little heavy at 1006gm) WTB
> Mutanoraptor 2.4 (recommended to me) Intense System 4 2.25 (mud tire?) WTB Velociraptor 2.1
> (classic all-conditions XC) Panaracer FireXC Pro (best all-around, not a mud tire)
>
> I'm sure there are others. I've seen most of these on sale from various web catalogs (Nashbar,
> Supergo, JensonUSA, etc). The Kenda Kenetics 2.35's are OEM on quite a few bikes, which makes me
> think they're a good choice. Also, at $19.95/ea from Supergo, they're a bargain.
>
> What's your favorite mud-loving XC tire?
>
> TIA,
>
> Barry

I see others have recommended the Hutchinson Mosquito; I have them on my Giant Rainier and can't say
they're all that great in mud. My single speed came with IRC Serac XC, and they are the best tires I
have ever ridden. It's been more then muddy here in the Northeast, and they carry me right through
the longest mud run you can find without slipping or missing a beat. I can't say the same for the
Hutchinsons.

I'll second that. I have a Survival Pro 2.3 on the back and a Vertical Pro 2.3 on the front.Only
thing I've found that gives better traction on wet roots/leaves are my studded Nokian extremes, but
they aren't as good at shedding mud.

[email protected] wrote:
> My single speed came with IRC Serac XC, and they are the best tires I have ever ridden. It's been
> more then muddy here in the Northeast, and they carry me right through the longest mud run you can
> find without slipping or missing a beat.

I must concur to a large degree.. when I got my redline I took one look at teh stock the IRC Sreac
XC's and said "yeah right" those'll last abotu 2 rides" much to my chargrin they have proven to me
great tires in most all condiotions I've encountered, especially Floridian sand.

The one failing was in that really sticky nasty slimy Tennesse muck you encouter when you get near
the Mississippi River.

ClydesdaleMTB wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> My single speed came with IRC Serac XC, and they are the best tires I have ever ridden. It's been
>> more then muddy here in the Northeast, and they carry me right through the longest mud run you
>> can find without slipping or missing a beat.
>

> I must concur to a large degree.. when I got my redline I took one look at teh stock the IRC Sreac
> XC's and said "yeah right" those'll last abotu 2 rides" much to my chargrin they have proven to me
> great tires in most all condiotions I've encountered, especially Floridian sand.
>
> The one failing was in that really sticky nasty slimy Tennesse muck you encouter when you get
> near the Mississippi River.

I forgot to mention, I think thye would be really sweet in a 2.3" especially on a rigid SS ;-)

> ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
> >

> > [email protected] wrote:
> >
> >> My single speed came with IRC Serac XC, and they are the best tires I have ever ridden. It's
> >> been more then muddy here in the Northeast, and they carry me right through the longest mud run
> >> you can find without slipping or missing a beat.
> >

> > I must concur to a large degree.. when I got my redline I took one look at teh stock the IRC
> > Sreac XC's and said "yeah right" those'll last abotu 2 rides" much to my chargrin they have
> > proven to me great tires in most all condiotions I've encountered, especially Floridian sand.
> >
> > The one failing was in that really sticky nasty slimy Tennesse muck you encouter when you get
> > near the Mississippi River.
>

> I forgot to mention, I think thye would be really sweet in a 2.3" especially on a rigid SS ;-)

I've been wanking the Seracs for quite a while now...they kick major ass. I did find they lacked a
bit in sloppy winter slush; hence, Hutchy Mosquitoes. Otherwise, as I've said before, it's all about
the Seracs baby.

Do you think 2.3 would be a good idea for the Seracs? Seems like a tire designed to have very little
rolling resistance - like the Serac - would be hampered by the extra "inherent slowness" of a widrer
tire. Of course, it would be faster than other 2.3 inchers...

Chris

Chris wrote:
> "ClydesdaleMTB" wrote in message
>>I forgot to mention, I think thye would be really sweet in a 2.3" especially on a rigid SS ;-)

> Do you think 2.3 would be a good idea for the Seracs? Seems like a tire designed to have very
> little rolling resistance - like the Serac - would be hampered by the extra "inherent slowness" of
> a widrer tire. Of course, it would be faster than other 2.3 inchers...

I'm referring specificly for SS use, there a bit of extra volume and profile would be a welcomed
thing, not only to really lean it over when railing through the corners, but to take a bit of the
"bite" out of riding a fully rigid.

I say IRC KUJO becuase I just put them to the test. Its rainned for 24 hours. Well just 7 hours
after the rain stopped I went racing. Muddy trails and axel deep water. 30 bucks in fees and I came
away with a First Place Medal to hang around my neck or may be the wall. SLACKER thank you for
those KUJO.

Fire up MTB 03

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 12:29:47 -0700, B. Sanders wrote:

> Local trails can get sloppy sometimes with clay mud. It's slippery as ice, and likes to pack-up
> almost any kind of tire. My Hutch Pythons are great for everything except mud, so I need
> something better.

My conti verts shed Oregon & Colorado mud pretty well.

gabrielle