Whats the best rear light on the market

Bazz

Guest
Whats the best rear light on the market, one that cars can see me from 20k's
away, no seriously, which one is the brightest ?

"Bazz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Whats the best rear light on the market, one that cars can see me from
> 20k's away, no seriously, which one is the brightest ?

I'm a fan of the Cateye LD1000, blinding to look at directly.
http://www.cateye.com/en/products/viewProduct.php?modelId=41&catId=7&subCatId=4

Rear and side lighting, two banks of leds than can have different modes
(i.e. steady & flash, or flash and random...)

This is supposed to be stupid bright (brighter than car tailights, visible
from 1/4mi away) too:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=17696

On 2005-10-01, Bazz (aka Bruce)
> Whats the best rear light on the market, one that cars can see me from 20k's
> away, no seriously, which one is the brightest ?

S-sun Eagle Light, or some permutation of that name. One of its 9
LEDs is as bright as the 5 LEDs in one of my other lights. It leaves
green dazzles in my eyes when I look at it. And the 2 AAA batteries
last 10 hours, which is more than enough for my weekly commute.

Inexplicably, Gold cross got rid of a huge amount of these insanely
cheaply a few months ago, and there are none left.

Don't know who else sells them.

--
TimC
I'm sorry, but all questions must be in the form of a question.

Andrew Blake said:
"Bazz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Whats the best rear light on the market, one that cars can see me from
> 20k's away, no seriously, which one is the brightest ?

I'm a fan of the Cateye LD1000, blinding to look at directly.
http://www.cateye.com/en/products/viewProduct.php?modelId=41&catId=7&subCatId=4

Rear and side lighting, two banks of leds than can have different modes
(i.e. steady & flash, or flash and random...)

This is supposed to be stupid bright (brighter than car tailights, visible
from 1/4mi away) too:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=17696
A:eek: very, very bright light:eek:

Bazz wrote:
> Whats the best rear light on the market, one that cars can see me from 20k's
> away, no seriously, which one is the brightest ?

The s-sun 3 LED job is pretty bright and very visable, but it's not
very
reliable, which isn't so good as a tail light. Mine cuts out a lot,
and
my friends who have them have the same problem.

On 2005-10-01, Bleve (aka Bruce)

> Bazz wrote:
>> Whats the best rear light on the market, one that cars can see me from 20k's
>> away, no seriously, which one is the brightest ?

> The s-sun 3 LED job is pretty bright and very visable, but it's not
> very
> reliable, which isn't so good as a tail light. Mine cuts out a lot,
> and
> my friends who have them have the same problem.

A light I had (probably still have, somewhere), had a problem in that
if the batteries became disconnected for mere milliseconds (eg, if I
went over a bump), it would turn off. After about the 5th time of me
noticing my light off, despite me remembering turning the damn thing
on, I did some experimentation to indeed confirm the above picture.
Just slapping it would turn it off.

So I got the smallest capactitor I had in my junk box -- probably
0.47uF, and soldered it across the terminals underneath the circuit
board in the tiny amount of space available. This turned out for it
to be enough that if you disconnected the batteries for 5 seconds, it
would come back on when I plugged 'em back in.

The idiot designers designed absolutely no capacitance into the
circuit. They assumed that the battery terminals would forever remain
perfect frictionless massless superconducting pulleys, and forgot
about the non-optimal condition bike lights have to endure.

--
TimC
When some other esteemed editor reposts this, it'll be the Periodic

BOY DO I NEED THIS QUESTION ANSWERING.
For The life of me I can’t find a rear [flasher] light that can take a few bumps, a little bit of water & won’t develop a mind of it’s own or self destruct – yes it’s for my MTB.
Reduced to using one of those tiny strap-on flashers that’s bum to get on & off (I can’t leave my bike unattended with these ‘cos they go missing quicksmart) & properly more cost effective for getting a battery thrown in than anything else.

And why do they ALL have to be quick release? Can’t there be a rear flasher that mounted-bolted directly onto the bike by it’s own mount?
Hands up who’s got to their bike after work discovering a missing bike light bracket even though you have light-in-hand.
What’s going on?
Who can I write to?

Marx SS wrote:
> BOY DO I NEED THIS QUESTION ANSWERING.
> For The life of me I can't find a rear [flasher] light that can take a
> few bumps, a little bit of water & won't develop a mind of it's own or
> self destruct - yes it's for my MTB.
> Reduced to using one of those tiny strap-on flashers that's bum to get
> on & off (I can't leave my bike unattended with these 'cos they go
> missing quicksmart) & properly more cost effective for getting a
> battery thrown in than anything else.

I've got (as a backup to the s-sun which seems to demonstrate the
same failure mode as tim describes, maybe I'll find me a capacitor!)
a Vistalight 7 led taillight. It's been very reliable, and is
very bright too. It's quick-release though, but then it's easy and
small enough to keep in your pocket.

"Marx SS" wrote:

> And why do they ALL have to be quick release? Can't there be a rear
> flasher that mounted-bolted directly onto the bike by it's own mount?

Vistalite Super-nebula 5 led flasher. Very bright (well not as good as the
S-Sun) and it bolts onto the reflector bracket on your rear rack or seat
stay.

But if you know of a source for these let me know, I need a couple. Cecil
Walker used to have them on their web site (last year) but not any more, and
all the LBSs near me only have those silly flashers designed to mount to the
seat post with quick release. Stuff all use when I put the touring load on
and the rack bag obscures the seat post.

Cheers
Peter

Andrew Blake wrote:
> "Bazz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Whats the best rear light on the market, one that cars can see me from
>>20k's away, no seriously, which one is the brightest ?
>>

> I'm a fan of the Cateye LD1000, blinding to look at directly.
> http://www.cateye.com/en/products/viewProduct.php?modelId=41&catId=7&subCatId=4
>
> Rear and side lighting, two banks of leds than can have different modes
> (i.e. steady & flash, or flash and random...)

just got one of these, most impressed with it, if the bastards cannot
see this they are blind.

"Marx SS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> BOY DO I NEED THIS QUESTION ANSWERING.
> For The life of me I can't find a rear [flasher] light that can take a
> few bumps, a little bit of water & won't develop a mind of it's own or
> self destruct - yes it's for my MTB.
> Reduced to using one of those tiny strap-on flashers that's bum to get
> on & off (I can't leave my bike unattended with these 'cos they go
> missing quicksmart) & properly more cost effective for getting a
> battery thrown in than anything else.
>
> And why do they ALL have to be quick release? Can't there be a rear
> flasher that mounted-bolted directly onto the bike by it's own mount?

Sounds like the Cateye LD-1000.

Tough (I know a guy who had the homemade mount holding his snap at 50kmph,
it came apart and he lost an o-ring, but it worked when he found the bits
and put it back together), it also screws onto a reflector mount (on the
back of a pannier rack for example), has 10 x LEDs (6 rear and 2 per side)
and is bright enough that I've had a motorist pull me over and ask what
light I use as she could "see it for miles" and wanted to get one for her
kids bikes.