what's the BEST road tire (700x23c)?

ICEMAN1998

Jan 8, 2006
Just wondering what people think the BEST road tire is?? I will be only riding in the nice weather, no rain etc. I don't race but i'd like a top end tire at an OK price. Let me know what you guys think.

Chris

ICEMAN1998 said:
Just wondering what people think the BEST road tire is?? I will be only riding in the nice weather, no rain etc. I don't race but i'd like a top end tire at an OK price. Let me know what you guys think.

Chris
I use Conti Gatorskins as a training tyre, it's good in all conditions even gravel roads because I did 12k yesterday on just that. Have travelled some 3800k without a puncture, so am quite happy with the tyre.

I have a Gator skin on my training wheel, rough as guts, like a gator skin.

Try Conti GP4000, smooth as.....

ICEMAN1998 said:

Chris

That's like asking "who is the prettiest woman". Too many variables (note to all you "what is the best bike?" posters out there).

I'm a Michelin fan; so I race on Pro Races and train on the Carbons.

Had 4-searson with great mileage and no flats but now on GP4000 and so far very good.

You're gonna get so many different responses with this question.

Don't get the vredestein fortezza SE, I tore mine up in about 100 miles with nasty punctures. I've heard good things about the regular fortezzas, but the SE's suck.

I just bought a set of gatorskins, they seem decent so far.

Everyone has their own personal preferences.....

But over the past five-six years, I've used the following road tires:
Vittoria Open CX
Vittoria Open Extreme
Continental Grand Prix
Continental Grand Prix 4000
Michelin Axial Pro Lite
Michelin Pro Race Lite
Vredstrein Fortezza Tri-Comp

My overall favorites in terms of road feel, puncture resistant, grip and low-rolling resistant are the Grand Prix 4000 and Fortezza Tri-Comp.

But that's just me....

T72

ICEMAN1998 said:

Chris
I'm a fan of Hutchinson Fusion comps. They have a very nice feel, low rolling resistence, they corner very well, are pretty light and can be found for @$35 (US). I buy three at a time which takes me through the season (5k miles or so). I have tried Michelins, but my daily training ride takes me over a small drawbridge that is a metal grate. If there was any moisture, the Michelins felt like I was on a sheet of ice.

Vredestein Fortezza Tri Comp - best I've ridden, 2500 miles not one puncture, very fast but don't grip in the wet - definately for summer

Michellin Pro Race tires... and not because they are puncture resistant, cause they're not. But because I feel very comfortable taking a hard turn and leaning into it.

When I built up my road bike, I threw on a set of new Pro Race tires. On my very first ride I got a flat. No big deal, until I saw the inch thorn poking out of it. Yeah it may be odd but I've ridden three years without a flat on any of my bikes. But no flats since, haha.

I almost ready for tires, you tried the new Conti 4000. How many mile did you get out of them? Are they fast? PSI on these is up to 130 right? I currently have Bontrager Race X Lites on my Madone and am very happy with them but I wouldn't mind trying something else as long as it's as good or better or...faster. One last question, does the back tire hold it's shape longer (meaning doesn't flatten out)?

Tech72 said:
Everyone has their own personal preferences.....

But over the past five-six years, I've used the following road tires:
Vittoria Open CX
Vittoria Open Extreme
Continental Grand Prix
Michelin Axial Pro Lite
Michelin Pro Race Lite
Vredstrein Fortezza Tri-Comp

My overall favorites in terms of road feel, puncture resistant, grip and low-rolling resistant are the Grand Prix 4000 and Fortezza Tri-Comp.

But that's just me....

T72

What in your opinion is a better tire.....

or

IRC redstorm

What are the advantages or disadvantages of each?

Chris

OscarC said:
I almost ready for tires, you tried the new Conti 4000. How many mile did you get out of them? Are they fast? PSI on these is up to 130 right? I currently have Bontrager Race X Lites on my Madone and am very happy with them but I wouldn't mind trying something else as long as it's as good or better or...faster. One last question, does the back tire hold it's shape longer (meaning doesn't flatten out)?

Your more likly to make the tire fast then them making you fast. I think the psi are 130 but i dont know why anyone would be that high. I'm 200 and ride at 95psi without a problem. They seem pretty good but i only have 300 miles on them with no flats and no noticable wear. They handle fine but i'm not racing around. They do seem to ride abit nicer them my Conti 4-seasons.

shokhead said:
Your more likly to make the tire fast then them making you fast. I think the psi are 130 but i dont know why anyone would be that high. I'm 200 and ride at 95psi without a problem. They seem pretty good but i only have 300 miles on them with no flats and no noticable wear. They handle fine but i'm not racing around. They do seem to ride abit nicer them my Conti 4-seasons.
Good point about correct inflation pressures. I'm 180, and like 95-100 psi front, 100-105 rear. It's amazing how many people still run the max rated pressure on the sidewall, thinking they will get lower rolling resistance. As you know that's not the case at all unless the road surface is track-smooth, due to all the road vibration and noise picked up by a tire at it's max pressure rating. I used max pressure for many years, but have found road grip, ride, puncture resistance and tire life all improve at the right pressures.

Still wearing out my 3000s here, and have become a big fan of Conti. Great ride and life, and haven't had a puncture with them in over 10K miles now. The 4000s have gotten even more expensive, but believe they will prove worth it.