What's the best seat for a road bike ?

shalini

Nov 17, 2011
I am in the market for a new seat for my road bike. I am looking for comfort mainly since i do alot of riding and longer rides. I ride between 800-1200 miles a month and typically 40+ miles at a time. I am looking for Comfort but also something that has style and performance... what do you guys and gals recommend !? Price doesn't matter....

there are a number of good brands, i ride Fizik Arione,

I've probably spent thousands over the decades on finding the perfect saddle. The only thing I know for certain, I've found something close but as far as I'm concerned the holy grail still awaits discovery.

Saddles I've had some success with:
The old school Flite, a Concor I road on back in the 80's, SMP Forma, and most recently the Specialized Romin. The former two have modern iterations available.

Saddles I avoid:
Specialized Toupe, Selle Italia SLR - both these saddles have my dangly bits completely numb after less than 30 miles. The absolute worst ever... the Selle San Marco Caymano Bilanciata. I was completely numb after about 15 minutes.

It's such an individual thing that I would take anyone's advice with a grain of salt. I had a buddy who adored the Toupe - I road on it for one day and prompty developed a hideous saddle sore.

Competitive Cyclist had an offering a while back where they sent you a saddle kit with a dozen or so saddles which one got to try for 2 weeks or so and all that had to be paid was shipping - which then was refunded if you purchased a saddle from them. Don't know if that offer's still around but maybe someone else does the same thing?

For me, I don't have anything special seat wise, i use the stock seat which is like hard plastic under my rear end. But I will wear two pairs of riding shorts sometimes, a proper size underneath and a size larger on top to add extra comfort/padding if I am going on a really long ride. Most of the time I just wear one pair though.

There is no saddle that works for everyone.
Check with a LBS to see if they have a loaner program you can take advantage of.

there are a number of good brands, i ride Fizik Arione
Thanks for recommending the brand to me. Can you give me some more details about this brand? I would like to use this brand. :)