What's the best thing to drink ?

DJ

Guest
Other than Beer and a good Bordeaux !

I currently use my Mountain bike to keep fit. After a 22 Mile, 1hr 20min
ride I sometimes feel that my body needs `something` to replenish it. Even
after drinking what you would think is enough water I still feel kinda
thirsty for some time after. I wondered if it was salt or sugar or something
else I also needed to replenish.

Ages ago I brought some isotonic drinks but they were so damn sweet I just
couldn`t drink them, so I went back to very weak blackcurrent juice.

Whats the best thing to drink during and after a busy bike ride ?

Cheers

DJ

DJ <[email protected]> wrote:

: I currently use my Mountain bike to keep fit. After a 22 Mile, 1hr 20min
: ride I sometimes feel that my body needs `something` to replenish it. Even

How much are you drinking during the ride? You would be aiming for
1 l to 1 1/2 l for 1 1/2 ride depending on temperature and exertion
level.

I'm not a big fan of carbo drinks for short rides like this. They
do work, but they also rot your teeth and are unnecessary for short
rides.

Eating a banana halfway round will give you a good selection of nuteriets
as well as energy.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

"DJ" <[email protected]>typed

> Whats the best thing to drink during and after a busy bike ride ?

Everyone's different. I'd suggest half-strength isotonic sports drink
for you, judging by what you've written.

I'd also suggest you have one bottle of water and one of eg Lucozade
Sport and drink what you fancy when you fancy it!

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

"DJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Other than Beer and a good Bordeaux !
>
> I currently use my Mountain bike to keep fit. After a 22 Mile, 1hr 20min
> ride I sometimes feel that my body needs `something` to replenish it. Even
> after drinking what you would think is enough water I still feel kinda
> thirsty for some time after. I wondered if it was salt or sugar or

something
> else I also needed to replenish.
>
> Ages ago I brought some isotonic drinks but they were so damn sweet I just
> couldn`t drink them, so I went back to very weak blackcurrent juice.
>
> Whats the best thing to drink during and after a busy bike ride ?
>
> Cheers
>
> DJ

S.I.S PSP22 energy drink should keep you going!

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:45:35 +0100, "DJ" <[email protected]> wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>Other than Beer and a good Bordeaux !

Best thing /other/ than beer? How the hell should I know? Tchah!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

DJ wrote:
> Other than Beer and a good Bordeaux !

Together? Eugh!

> Whats the best thing to drink during and after a busy bike ride ?

I use Maxim, but not made up to full strength, and flavoured with a bit
of orange juice to make it more palatable. It does seem to keep me going
longer than water alone.

Whatever you do drink, just make sure you drink plenty of it - better to
err on the side of drinking too much than not enough, even if it does
mean stopping to water the hedgerows occasionally.

And don't forget to eat as well. Apples, raisins and bananas are all
good energy snacks.

d.

DJ wrote:

> Other than Beer and a good Bordeaux !
>
> I currently use my Mountain bike to keep fit. After a 22 Mile, 1hr 20min
> ride I sometimes feel that my body needs `something` to replenish it. Even
> after drinking what you would think is enough water I still feel kinda
> thirsty for some time after. I wondered if it was salt or sugar or something
> else I also needed to replenish.
>
> Ages ago I brought some isotonic drinks but they were so damn sweet I just
> couldn`t drink them, so I went back to very weak blackcurrent juice.
>
> Whats the best thing to drink during and after a busy bike ride ?
>
> Cheers
>
> DJ

I heard lots of icky things about energy drinks being overly sweet, but
I tried an orange-flavoured one by Enervit? and it's great. Not too
sweet, and the body seems to appreicate it far more than food when out
riding (it really REALLY didn't like being fed a hamburger partway
through the london to cambridge, twas hard keeping it down!).

Wiggle carry it.

It takes just like orange squash, and not overly strong squash either.

--

Velvet

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> DJ <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : I currently use my Mountain bike to keep fit. After a 22 Mile, 1hr 20min
> : ride I sometimes feel that my body needs `something` to replenish it.

Even

> How much are you drinking during the ride? You would be aiming for
> 1 l to 1 1/2 l for 1 1/2 ride depending on temperature and exertion
> level.
>
> I'm not a big fan of carbo drinks for short rides like this. They
> do work, but they also rot your teeth and are unnecessary for short
> rides.
>
> Eating a banana halfway round will give you a good selection of nuteriets
> as well as energy.
>
> Arthur
>
> --
> Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
> "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
> - Paulina Borsook

"they also rot your teeth "

Do you have any evidence of this ?

Graham

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:45:35 +0100, "DJ" <[email protected]> wrote (more
or less):

>Other than Beer and a good Bordeaux !
>
>I currently use my Mountain bike to keep fit. After a 22 Mile, 1hr 20min
>ride I sometimes feel that my body needs `something` to replenish it. Even
>after drinking what you would think is enough water I still feel kinda
>thirsty for some time after. I wondered if it was salt or sugar or something
>else I also needed to replenish.
>
>Ages ago I brought some isotonic drinks but they were so damn sweet I just
>couldn`t drink them,

1 part orange juice diluted with 1 to two parts water is pretty
isotonic. And half to a third the calories of o.j.. :)

>so I went back to very weak blackcurrent juice.
>
>Whats the best thing to drink during and after a busy bike ride ?

--
Cheers,
Euan
Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr

"Graham" <[email protected]>typed

> "they also rot your teeth "

> Do you have any evidence of this ?

They contain sugar.
They are acidic.

They tend to be sipped frequently, leaving teeth bathed with little
chance to restore intraoral pH. These are the conditions that have been
shown to rot kids' teeth. I don't know if the same experiment has been
replicated in adults on sports drinks. Do we really need to reinvent the
wheel?

Acidic, sugary drinks have been shown to rot teeth. Why else would
GlaxoSmithKlineBeecham release Ribena Toothkind?

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

On 22/8/04 10:45 pm, in article [email protected],
"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Acidic, sugary drinks have been shown to rot teeth. Why else would
> GlaxoSmithKlineBeecham release Ribena Toothkind?

Which was then subject to the Esthe Rantzen witch hunt because it still
rotted teeth despite not rotting them as fast as drinking plain fruit juice
(which is also acidic and contains sugar).

...d

"DJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Other than Beer and a good Bordeaux !
>
> I currently use my Mountain bike to keep fit. After a 22 Mile, 1hr 20min
> ride I sometimes feel that my body needs `something` to replenish it. Even
> after drinking what you would think is enough water I still feel kinda
> thirsty for some time after. I wondered if it was salt or sugar or
> something
> else I also needed to replenish.
>
> Ages ago I brought some isotonic drinks but they were so damn sweet I just
> couldn`t drink them, so I went back to very weak blackcurrent juice.
>
> Whats the best thing to drink during and after a busy bike ride ?
>
> Cheers
>
> DJ

You want to try a recovery drink, to help replenish the nutrients. I use SIS
Rego and it helps to stop the post-ride munchies. Some carrot cake also has
the same effect.

moray

DJ [email protected] opined the following...

> Other than Beer and a good Bordeaux !

Meerlust Rubicon 1999. Not too bad. Has left a friend and I completely
plastered!

WRT cycling, more water and some food if your feel hungry. I don't know
how the prices compare, but I believe that there used to be a product
called deorylite (Or similar) which was an isotonic powder for post-
diarrhoea recovery. I see no reason why it shouldn't work if you are
actually needing salts.

Jon

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:04:25 +0100, David Martin
<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>On 22/8/04 10:45 pm, in article [email protected],
>"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Acidic, sugary drinks have been shown to rot teeth. Why else would
>> GlaxoSmithKlineBeecham release Ribena Toothkind?

>Which was then subject to the Esthe Rantzen witch hunt because it still
>rotted teeth despite not rotting them as fast as drinking plain fruit juice
>(which is also acidic and contains sugar).

Orange juice is about as bad as coke for rotting teeth.

I try always to drink o.j. so that it goes over my tongue and down my
throat, rather than attempting to bathe my teeth in it.

--
Cheers,
Euan
Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:26:13 +0100, Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote (more or less):

>DJ [email protected] opined the following...
>>
>> Other than Beer and a good Bordeaux !

>Meerlust Rubicon 1999. Not too bad. Has left a friend and I completely
>plastered!
>
>WRT cycling, more water and some food if your feel hungry. I don't know
>how the prices compare, but I believe that there used to be a product
>called deorylite (Or similar) which was an isotonic powder for post-
>diarrhoea recovery. I see no reason why it shouldn't work if you are
>actually needing salts.

'Diarolyte', I'm fairly sure.

A friend of mine used to use it for 'morning after' situations.

--
Cheers,
Euan
Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr

"DJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Whats the best thing to drink during and after a busy bike ride ?
>
> Cheers
>
> DJ

I am not going to tell you what is best as everyone is different. I
use Isostar for rides over about 40 miles. I buy the powder, usually
from the one day sales, and mix it to my liking. I also use Maxim
powder, sometimes in my second bottle (you'll never belive the typo I
just did, my fingers typed bottom instead of bottle !), which really
does get used after my first. Sometimes I stop for a cup of tea too.
Afterwards I drink beer and Bardolino.

Gawnsoft <[email protected]>typed

> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:26:13 +0100, Jon Senior
> <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote (more or less):

> >DJ [email protected] opined the following...
> >>
> >> Other than Beer and a good Bordeaux !

> >Meerlust Rubicon 1999. Not too bad. Has left a friend and I completely
> >plastered!
> >
> >WRT cycling, more water and some food if your feel hungry. I don't know
> >how the prices compare, but I believe that there used to be a product
> >called deorylite (Or similar) which was an isotonic powder for post-
> >diarrhoea recovery. I see no reason why it shouldn't work if you are
> >actually needing salts.

> 'Diarolyte', I'm fairly sure.

> A friend of mine used to use it for 'morning after' situations.

It's OK physiologically though probably too low in energy. I don't like
its taste and it's not cheap...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

"DJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Other than Beer and a good Bordeaux !
>
> I currently use my Mountain bike to keep fit. After a 22 Mile, 1hr 20min
> ride I sometimes feel that my body needs `something` to replenish it. Even
> after drinking what you would think is enough water I still feel kinda
> thirsty for some time after. I wondered if it was salt or sugar or

something
> else I also needed to replenish.
>
> Ages ago I brought some isotonic drinks but they were so damn sweet I just
> couldn`t drink them, so I went back to very weak blackcurrent juice.
>
> Whats the best thing to drink during and after a busy bike ride ?
>
> Cheers
>
> DJ

===============
Not a very popular suggestion here I think - but here goes anyway.....

Eat a meal containing plenty of steamed vegetables after your ride. This was
always my best post-marathon / half-marathon pickup.

Cic.

[email protected] (MSeries) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I am not going to tell you what is best as everyone is different. I
> use Isostar for rides over about 40 miles. I buy the powder, usually
> from the one day sales, and mix it to my liking.

"Mix it to my liking" is the key here - I find Isostar mixed to the
manufcturer's instructions fairly unpleasant, as it tastes a bit too
concentrated. Do Boots still sell an own-brand equivalent? I found
that far more palatable (in its grapefruit form), just as effective,
and better value for money. And is it just me, or do all lemon sports
drinks taste like cheap & nasty boiled sweets from childhood?

David E. Belcher