Whats the best touring bike

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Robbity, Mar 17, 2004.

  1. Robbity

    Robbity Guest

    Hi, I am interested in buy a touring bike. I currently ride
    an old Repco superlite, but want to upgrade to a better
    /purpose built bike. I will be using it mainly for commuting
    to work, approx 35k's and some longer distance stuff/audax
    rides on weekends of probably around 100 - 200k's.

    I thought a touring bike would be the way to go, because of
    the good gear range, 36 spoke wheels for strength etc.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Ta Rob

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Sadly christies is no longer as they would have been the best place to go (Hawthorn, Melb)

    Cecil walker make VERY good tourers. Speak to Leigh Kilpatrick.
    Sometime tourer/racer/Audaxer/Paris-Brest-Paris-er

    If off the shelf perhaps something like:
    Mongoose Randonneur (at budget end) review australian cyclist site

    Never did understand why someone didnt fill the big niche that Shogun had with their AlpineGT. A wonderful steed with decent bits and great price (and in British racing green)

  3. Jack Russell

    Jack Russell Guest

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
    Australia, I believe Cecil Walker in Melbourne may be your
    best bet.<br> <br> There are plenty in the UK, I ride a
    Thorn XTC try - <a
    href="http://sjscycles.com/thornbrochure.asp">St John St
    cite="[email protected]">
    <pre wrap="">Hi, I am interested in buy a touring bike. I
    currently ride an old Repco superlite, but want to upgrade
    to a better /purpose built bike. I will be using it mainly
    for commuting to work, approx 35k's and some longer
    distance stuff/audax rides on weekends of probably around
    100 - 200k's.

    I thought a touring bike would be the way to go, because of
    the good gear range, 36 spoke wheels for strength etc.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Ta Rob

  4. Philip

    Philip Guest

    It depends on what sort of touring you do. You appear to
    need a lite weight tourer for people who take a credit card
    rather than a tent.

    The UK is definitly the best place to get one, but thios
    probably doesn't help! (My pick is a hand built Roberts, but
    Thorn are good too) At the cheaper end the Dawes Galaxy and
    Ralihgt Randenour are good work horses.

    As for Australia try the Cannondale T800, T1000 or T2000.

    Cheers,

    Philip

    news:[email protected]...

  5. Robbity wrote:

    > Hi, I am interested in buy a touring bike.

    but, then you go onto list a commuter and Audax. {:)

    If you want a custom built touring frame, talk to Wayne
    Kotzur, but it sounds like you want something a bit between.

    > I thought a touring bike would be the way to go, because
    > of the good gear range, 36 spoke wheels for strength etc.

    What is the problem with just adding another set of wheels
    to your current bicycle? To give you a wider gear range?

    Then choose racking to carry the weight (in panniers) you
    want.

    BTW, I now tour on a MTB, which is anything but light and
    hence rather slow.

  6. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Robbity wrote:
    > Hi, I am interested in buy a touring bike. I currently
    > ride an old Repco superlite, but want to upgrade to a
    > better /purpose built bike. I will be

    See reviews at : http://www.australiancyclist.com.au/showar-
    ticle.php?s=4&a=433

    They have a Cannondale T2000 review too.

  7. Carl Milne

    Carl Milne Guest

    Perhaps you do want only a specific touring bike, but maybe
    you could instead use a hybrid.

    I and most of my touring and social riding friends use
    hybrids of various price ranges. Giant make pretty good
    models such as 'Innova' at around $1000, probably less with
    the current exchange rate. They also have some cheaper
    models and Cannondale also have a more expensive range of
    hybrids which were called 'Silk Path' when I bought mine but
    I think they are called something like ....Adventure now.

    There are many other hybrids available in Australia and this
    may be the way for you to go. Check them out and see what
    you think.

    Carl "Robbity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I am interested in buy a touring bike. I currently
    > ride an old Repco superlite, but want to upgrade to a
    > better /purpose built bike. I will be using it mainly for
    > commuting to work, approx 35k's and some longer
    distance
    > stuff/audax rides on weekends of probably around 100
    > - 200k's.
    >
    > I thought a touring bike would be the way to go, because
    > of the good gear range, 36 spoke wheels for strength etc.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Ta Rob

  8. Kingsley

    Kingsley Guest

    On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 21:19:29 +0800, Robbity wrote:

    > I am interested in buy a touring bike. I currently ride
    > an old Repco superlite, but want to upgrade to a better
    > /purpose built bike. I will be using it mainly for
    > commuting to work, approx 35k's and some longer
    > distance stuff/audax rides on weekends of probably
    > around 100 - 200k's.
    >
    > I thought a touring bike would be the way to go, because
    > of the good gear range, 36 spoke wheels for strength etc.

    The best touring bike is *my* touring bike ;)

    I'm interested in seeing one of Shogun's touring bikes, they
    were doing a cross-promotion with Knog a few months back. I
    don't know where you can see one of these, but if someone
    knows, please tell me.

    The Trek 520(?) is well thought of on the Phred Bicycle
    Touring list, but I think that's mainly 'cause of Americana.
    But if you want to see one of these they had one in Clarence
    St Cyclery the other day. (it usually lives upstairs near
    the panniers, but I noticed it was downstairs with the hybrid-
    road bikes lately).

    Have you considered having one custom built ?

    -kt

  9. gescom

    gescom New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Although I haven't ridden one the sizing on the Cannondale tourers differs too greatly for my liking. The Medium has a top tube of 54.5cm while the large model has a tt of 57.2cm, a big diiference and not really enough sizes in between to get a proper fit especially considering the price.

    From what i've read (and tried) the biggest problem most ppl have with the Trek 520 is getting the handlebar height equal with seat height. Trek seems to cut the steerer for 'looks' rather than for fit. Here's a good forum thread to read regarding this http://www.cyclingforums.com/t91987.html .

    I think if you have the money then a custom frame is the way to go (something I regret not getting myself!).

    If looking at a hybrid try the Avanti Blade or even better 520 steel framed Jamis Coda Sport http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/04_coda_sport.html

    An audax style bike worth looking at would be the Specialized Sequoia
    http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkFamily.jsp?sid=04Sequoia&JServSessionIdroot=xb860zb8t3.j27008.

  10. How about a recumbent trike? :)

    "Robbity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I am interested in buy a touring bike. I currently
    > ride an old Repco superlite, but want to upgrade to a
    > better /purpose built bike. I will be using it mainly for
    > commuting to work, approx 35k's and some longer
    distance
    > stuff/audax rides on weekends of probably around 100
    > - 200k's.
    >
    > I thought a touring bike would be the way to go, because
    > of the good gear range, 36 spoke wheels for strength etc.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Ta Rob

  11. Robbity

    Robbity Guest

    Thank you all for your comments. It has given me plenty to
    mull over.

    As far as Hand made touring bikes are concerned, does anyone
    know of a builder in Perth?

    Cheers Rob "Robbity" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I am interested in buy a touring bike. I currently
    > ride an old Repco superlite, but want to upgrade to a
    > better /purpose built bike. I will be using it mainly for
    > commuting to work, approx 35k's and some longer
    distance
    > stuff/audax rides on weekends of probably around 100
    > - 200k's.
    >
    > I thought a touring bike would be the way to go, because
    > of the good gear range, 36 spoke wheels for strength etc.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Ta Rob

  12. Robbity

    Robbity Guest

    I would love to ride a trike, but I hear that they give you
    nothing but knee problems.

    server.bigpond.net.au...

  13. Robbity wrote:

    > I would love to ride a trike, but I hear that they give
    > you nothing but knee problems.

    Did you get an explanation of why?

    My guess is that people are rarely saerious about riding
    trikes and only have occassional rides on them and they are
    not adjusted to the rider. Like so many basic bicycles you
    see around.

    Major problem is road camber on basic trikes.

    Back in the late 1970's, there was someone who road a front-
    end trike around Australia written up in Freewheeling. Zed,
    Zeke, Z???. It was that or loose his kidneys I believe.

  14. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Terry Collins wrote:
    > Robbity wrote:
    >
    >>I would love to ride a trike, but I hear that they give
    >>you nothing but knee problems.
    >

    > Did you get an explanation of why?

    I would guess its because they don't lean with you on
    corners, so your legs are twisted. Solution could be to stop
    pedalling on bends ??

  15. But I hear that your knees are fixed so it must be something else :)

    "Robbity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I would love to ride a trike, but I hear that they give
    > you nothing but
    knee
    > problems.
    >

    > "Around Australia Recumbent Style"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > server.bigpond.net.au...
    > > How about a recumbent trike? :)
    > >
    > > "Robbity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi, I am interested in buy a touring bike. I currently
    > > > ride an old Repco superlite, but want to upgrade to a
    > > > better /purpose built bike. I
    will

  16. Mike wrote:

    > Terry Collins wrote:
    > > Robbity wrote:
    > >
    > >>I would love to ride a trike, but I hear that they give
    > >>you nothing but knee problems.
    > >

    > > Did you get an explanation of why?
    >
    > I would guess its because they don't lean with you on
    > corners, so your legs are twisted. Solution could be to
    > stop pedalling on bends ??

    In my books, a good trike should include a horizontal axis
    to overcome road camber and cornering.