Whats the best way to build fitness after an accident

Tom1983

Feb 14, 2008
I got knocked of six weeks ago and have started riding again with some minor whiplash injuries (had physio who told me to start riding again)

Wondering if anyone can suggest best way to get back up to pre accident fitness.

Ride 8.5 miles to work and back each day, was wondering if its best to increase the distance to build my strength (riding from home is 20 miles round trip), or increase my speed over the 17miles.

Was doing 8.5 miles in about 25 mins at my best (traffic permitting) down to about 35/40 mins now

Any suggestions

Thanks

Tom

If you're riding for fun and not racing, just ride normally. The speed will return as your body recovers - it will be quicker to get back to where you were from injury than if you were starting from a sedentary lifestyle.

grahamspringett said:
If you're riding for fun and not racing, just ride normally. The speed will return as your body recovers - it will be quicker to get back to where you were from injury than if you were starting from a sedentary lifestyle.
Thanks for the advice, week before the accident i decided to start pushing myself faster to try and improve my average speeds over the same distance, get fit after Christmas and all that.

Since the accident i am managing riding without to many aches and pains but just wondered if doing more miles would help my recovery or if its just a case of carry on at the same distance and just keep pushing a little bit more as and when my body lets me.

Was hitting tops of 22mph average speed over 8.5 miles in traffic (cycle computer so only worked out average whilst moving not distance over time) but now two months later struggling to hit 17.5mph so pretty frustrated but guess just got to plod on and build up again.

One thing i do now is watch car doors like a hawk, expect every single one is about to open now hahahaha, better that than presume they wont i guess, made that mistake once already!

Do you know if any particular riding position puts less stress on the shoulders than others as this is the main problem at the moment.

Having had some serious long term injuries in the past, it is always frustrating when you have a long term layoff for one reason or another. Through experience I have found when resuming training the less frustrating way is to do so without my speedo, heart rate monitor etc, this way I actually get back into training for the enjoyment rather than for the frustration of trying to return to previous fitness levels. I have found this to work really well and quickly pick up fitness before I know it. The worst thing you can begin to do is start comparing what I have achieved in the past to now. For now get back on the bike enjoy the ride and before you know it you will be ticking along at good pace whistling your way to work.