What's The Best Way to Sell a Custom Road Bike? EBay? Craigslist? VeloNews?

In article <[email protected]>,
Gary Young <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 14:47:18 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > and a quart of fresh urine for mcnamara! thanks tim! drink up!

> See Tim, no good deed goes unrewarded here on rbt. Trying to tone
> down the hostilities with jim beam, paying a compliment to gene --
> both met with the same response.

Life in the big city I guess. :)

On Apr 9, 3:16 pm, "Fitz" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have a custom road bike built by The Guru (for those of us over
> 6'5"), Lennard Zinn (www.zinncycles.com). I spent over $5K for the
> bike but a car crash has effectively ended my cycling days.
>
> I would like opinions on how to sell this bike in order to make the
> most money I can for it. What are you folks utilizing to sell your
> bikes to the "target demographic?"
>
> I am realistic to know that I'll never get back what I've invested,
> but I don't want to lose my shorts. . .
>
> Thanks!
>
> Fitz

Warning - this post contains the word 'recumbent....'

Please accept my sympathy for your injury but don't assume you're
cycling is over. Obviously I don't know the extent of that injury but
I do know that there is a class of bike out there that you may be able
to ride. They're called (gasp) r e c u m b e n t s.

Even a fairly severely disabled person can still ride a recumbent
trike. Yes - you may be slow, but you'll be out on the bike paths
getting exercise and company. The mesh seat supports your back and if
there's a problem with legs, you can use a hand cycle transmission. If
it's a neck issue, you can have a very upright seat and neck rest if
necessary.

It's not the paceline macho cycling as you may know it - but it's
cycling.

For less severe injuries, you may be able to manage a highracer like
the dual 650 Bacchetta Aero. The Aero is as fast as a road bike
(actually faster) but has a small weight penalty - it weighs 10.5kg.
The high racer style will co-exist with pacelines - you can draft off
them and they're high enough to maintain the sociability.

Only you know whether you're completely stuffed with respect to bikes
but I hope not.

Recumbents are catching up with DFs (diamond frames) in construction
techniques. There are gorgeous TiCa composite bikes weighing in at 8-9
kg.

As for EBay - forget it if you want a good price. Put the word around
the better bike shops and try to sell it privately on recommendation.
There are plenty of riders who'd snap up a bargain. Selling it as
parts may get you a better return, but I'd go the private route first.
Australia is a poor place to sell a second hand bike - buyers expect
to pay no more than half the new price regardless of the bikes age or
condition.

Try to keep cycling - we need as many of us as possible.

On Apr 10, 4:35 am, "lightninglad" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 9, 3:16 pm, "Fitz" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Greetings,

> > I have a custom road bike built by The Guru (for those of us over
> > 6'5"), Lennard Zinn (www.zinncycles.com). I spent over $5K for the
> > bike but a car crash has effectively ended my cycling days.

> > I would like opinions on how to sell this bike in order to make the
> > most money I can for it. What are you folks utilizing to sell your
> > bikes to the "target demographic?"

> > I am realistic to know that I'll never get back what I've invested,
> > but I don't want to lose my shorts. . .

> > Thanks!

> > Fitz

> Warning - this post contains the word 'recumbent....'
>
> Please accept my sympathy for your injury but don't assume you're
> cycling is over. Obviously I don't know the extent of that injury but
> I do know that there is a class of bike out there that you may be able
> to ride. They're called (gasp) r e c u m b e n t s.
>
> Even a fairly severely disabled person can still ride a recumbent
> trike. Yes - you may be slow, but you'll be out on the bike paths
> getting exercise and company. The mesh seat supports your back and if
> there's a problem with legs, you can use a hand cycle transmission. If
> it's a neck issue, you can have a very upright seat and neck rest if
> necessary.
>
> It's not the paceline macho cycling as you may know it - but it's
> cycling.
>
> For less severe injuries, you may be able to manage a highracer like
> the dual 650 Bacchetta Aero. The Aero is as fast as a road bike
> (actually faster) but has a small weight penalty - it weighs 10.5kg.
> The high racer style will co-exist with pacelines - you can draft off
> them and they're high enough to maintain the sociability.
>
> Only you know whether you're completely stuffed with respect to bikes
> but I hope not.
>
> Recumbents are catching up with DFs (diamond frames) in construction
> techniques. There are gorgeous TiCa composite bikes weighing in at 8-9
> kg.
>
> As for EBay - forget it if you want a good price. Put the word around
> the better bike shops and try to sell it privately on recommendation.
> There are plenty of riders who'd snap up a bargain. Selling it as
> parts may get you a better return, but I'd go the private route first.
> Australia is a poor place to sell a second hand bike - buyers expect
> to pay no more than half the new price regardless of the bikes age or
> condition.
>
> Try to keep cycling - we need as many of us as possible.

I am grateful for your response. I am grateful as well for your words
of encouragement.