Whats the big deal

AlanZ

Nov 10, 2004
why are there so many people in this forum talking about equipment and grams. when the easiest thing to do is better yourself by training harder or losing a couple pounds(thats right i said pounds). I'm sure most people could still fly with 105 a couple of open pro's and a inexpensive aluminum frame. just wouldnt have the coolness factor

AlanZ said:
why are there so many people in this forum talking about equipment and grams. when the easiest thing to do is better yourself by training harder or losing a couple pounds(thats right i said pounds). I'm sure most people could still fly with 105 a couple of open pro's and a inexpensive aluminum frame. just wouldnt have the coolness factor
Ah but, DA, Record, high zoot wheels, and frames such bling. Don't ya know that's what it's all about?

AlanZ said:
with 105 a couple of open pro's and a inexpensive aluminum frame
105 and Open Pros ... yes.
Cheap Al frame ... no. Big difference between an Al ride and a Carbon or Ti ride. Not that's there's not cheap-"er" CF or Ti to be had. I'd go back to my Medici steel before I bought Al.

Best.

CycleFreakLS said:
105 and Open Pros ... yes.
Cheap Al frame ... no. Big difference between an Al ride and a Carbon or Ti ride. Not that's there's not cheap-"er" CF or Ti to be had. I'd go back to my Medici steel before I bought Al.

Best.
A smart person would have never ditched the Medici.

AlanZ said:
why are there so many people in this forum talking about equipment and grams. when the easiest thing to do is better yourself by training harder or losing a couple pounds(thats right i said pounds).
I don't know. Upgrading parts seems easier to do than training harder and losing weight. ;)

ya my dad just upgraded from his medici (of 20 years) and wants to hang it on his family room wall. He now has a Cannondale optimo frame with ultegra, In his case upgrading did make a difference because it was about 6-7 pounds, elemination of BB flex and no more down tube shifters.

AlanZ said:
Of course there is the incredibly unique tack of sweating the grams, etc., AND training hard - that is the course I have taken. Is there something inherently wrong with that approach? I don't think so.

skydive69 said:
Of course there is the incredibly unique tack of sweating the grams, etc., AND training hard - that is the course I have taken. Is there something inherently wrong with that approach? I don't think so.
True- but you also have a sweet a$$ 16.5 lb Roubaix Pro w/ Dura Ace. So you take my approach. Get the nice equipment and train hard. Fast bike and fast rider are better than one or the other. BTW I will be the proud owner of a Roubaix Pro in the coming days, I fitted and test rode one a couple of days ago. Very nice ride...

DOH! Don't ya realize that the guy with the most expensive bike always wins the crit??

OCRoadie said:
True- but you also have a sweet a$$ 16.5 lb Roubaix Pro w/ Dura Ace. So you take my approach. Get the nice equipment and train hard. Fast bike and fast rider are better than one or the other. BTW I will be the proud owner of a Roubaix Pro in the coming days, I fitted and test rode one a couple of days ago. Very nice ride...
I fall more in love with my sweet Roubaix Pro every day. I brought it in for its first tuneup at about 450 miles, and the LBS mechanic asked me if I had anything to flag. I indicated that everything was working flawlessly, and the wheels were completely in round. He suggested not leaving the bike. I brought it back this week at 855 miles for its first tuneup. Again it was running flawlessly, however after the tuneup, it seemed to reach new levels of smooth and slick! Candidly, I am amazed at how many complimentary comments I get on the bike in that it is just matte finished CF, and doesn't have the jazzy looks of some of the other machines with their bright colors, jazzy tires, etc, but it is beautiful in its simplicity!

I'm impressed with the cheap aluminum frames. I bought a Scattante R-650 this spring when supergo had a 20% off of already discounted bikes. That frame they normally sell for around $225 with a carbon fork. I also picked up a Leader Bike frame for $100. Both have been quite nice. I normally ride a custom Ti frame and a steel cyclocross, which do feel different, but for normal <50 mile rides the Al frames seem perfectly adequate.

AlanZ said:
could still fly with 105 a couple of open pro's and a inexpensive aluminum frame. just wouldnt have the coolness factor

AlanZ said:
Riding to me, like many things, is as much about the stuff as the riding. I like constantly changing the bike when tires, wheels, components, etc. come along that are different/better/lighter/cooler than what I have. Does it make me any faster, no. But it's part of the fun.

SS

soonerschwinn said:
Riding to me, like many things, is as much about the stuff as the riding. I like constantly changing the bike when tires, wheels, components, etc. come along that are different/better/lighter/cooler than what I have. Does it make me any faster, no. But it's part of the fun.

SS
I agree, I can't stay out of the local bike shops, and I am always searching the catalogs and eBay for the latest and greatest goodies - it is part of the fun. I enjoy hammering 5 days a week, but also enjoy bike stuff!

It was like my last Harley Davidson. I added $12,000 worth of goodies to it!

It's much easier and more fun to buy the latest, lightest equipment then to lose weight.