What's the catch, ebay and CS600 prices

buckhorn

Aug 17, 2006
Looking to get a new powermeter because I don't like my 32h open pro PT (it's heavy, and rolls terribly). I could get the Polar CS600 with power from Performance for $675, or a supposedly new one from ebay for $475. After reading the 22 pages of people having problems with their Polar units, I am thinking it would be probably be a good idea to spend the extra $200 and have a vendor behind you right? Anyone buy one from ebay that would like to share their experience?

Thanks.

looks like you are going the opposite direction of most people. Like me, i used Polar power meters for several years, then "graduated" to an Ergomo, then "graduated" again to a Powertap.

I have posted several times that the Polar is about as accurate as Powertap or Ergomo based on my experience. but the Polar had some quirks -- especially when measuring power while in the most extreme chain/cassette configurations (e.g., 53/11 or 39/26). Plus the rear chainstay power reading device occasionally had to be moved slightly if it got bumped.

some people like to bash the Polar power meter, but i had generally good experiences with them on 2 separate bikes. i just don't think leaving behind a Powertap for a Polar unit is the best choice.

The problem I have with my powertap is that it is the old pro model, with a 32h hub. The thing is a beast, and rolls very poorly. I don't like to use it unless I am riding by myself. There is no way I am going to race with that thing. I have some nice race wheels, and some good training wheels. I don't think I can find a perfect rim for a single Powertap hub that would be sturdy enough for training, and great for racing.

I have read up quite a bit on all the pros and cons with the polar, and I think I understand what I would be getting into. I use the power meter to pace myself up hills, and for interval work. I think the Polar would be sufficient for both of these needs. It would be nice (but not necessary) to get my sprint wattage. And as far as the indoor problems go, I have a computrainer anyway.

The biggest advantage for me having a power meter is that I have horrible pacing, and without watts readings in front of me, I often blow myself up. It is amazing to me how backing off just a little bit at the hard times makes me so much faster. For my situation, I think the polar unit would do just fine.

I think my brother got his CS600 for about 475 on eBay. No problems. Oh FYI the Polar won't give accurate sprint wattage, but other than that no problems with it.

buckhorn said:
The problem I have with my powertap is that it is the old pro model, with a 32h hub. The thing is a beast, and rolls very poorly. I don't like to use it unless I am riding by myself. There is no way I am going to race with that thing. I have some nice race wheels, and some good training wheels. I don't think I can find a perfect rim for a single Powertap hub that would be sturdy enough for training, and great for racing.

I have read up quite a bit on all the pros and cons with the polar, and I think I understand what I would be getting into. I use the power meter to pace myself up hills, and for interval work. I think the Polar would be sufficient for both of these needs. It would be nice (but not necessary) to get my sprint wattage. And as far as the indoor problems go, I have a computrainer anyway.

The biggest advantage for me having a power meter is that I have horrible pacing, and without watts readings in front of me, I often blow myself up. It is amazing to me how backing off just a little bit at the hard times makes me so much faster. For my situation, I think the polar unit would do just fine.
I got a pair of Token C30 wheels, mid-depth lightweight wheels with bladed spokes, and got my LBS to put a PT 2.4 in the back. Couldn't be happier - good enough to race, strong enough to train.

I used to use an old 32h PT with the black cap and it did indeed roll horribly, so I feel your pain. That's now my indoor trainer wheel.

My friends and I have purchased a number of these on Ebay. New units. Out of 6 purchased, 3 worked perfectly right out of the box, and 3 had issues, that were quickly fixed by Polar. (Dead paddle, dead chain speed sensor). Discrete issues that we quickly fixed. The installation requires care and "tricks of the trade" that are available in a long thread on these forums. My wife and I have had ours for a year now, and they work great! She's a triathlete and she's using Trainingpeaks through her coach. It's been a huge improvement in her training to use power and this device is the best bang for the buck.

The rather long thread that I started long ago revealed problems with the initial production units. Failures have quieted down significantly, and I'm still happy with my purchase and considering the CS600x, with my CS600 trickling down to my wife's bike.

-Jeff

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up buying one from ebay, and am happy to report that after 2 weeks I have had no problems. Got a pretty good deal on it, and am completely happy with it.

The day after I bought it, they announced the CS600x. Just my luck.....

On a final note, I have compared it to both my powertap (that I am now selling), and my computrainer. The wattage is amazingly similar across all 3 systems. The only place where the polar is off is when I sprint, but I never pace myself when sprinting so it is no problem.