Whats the cheapest full carbon bike out there?

Travis44

Jul 28, 2007
I know that a full carbon bike (frame, fork, seatpost) goes for around 2k and up. Yet is there a full carbon bike out there for less? I see lots of no name brands with decent, but cheap bikes, Like the Tirreno Razza in performance bicycle for 1k, and its got full Ultegra, carbon fork and seatstays, and Easton wheels. What's the least amount of money you could spend on a bike (I'm talking about the most backwater bike company), but still get it full carbon?

You see the thing with bike buying is you dont want a piece of junk being the only thing between you and 40km/h tar passing underneath you. That's why you get what you pay for. Do not go for cheap bikes- but if you do want the best value for money might I suggest a second hand bike. Make sure to inspect it before you buy. Check for cracks, scratches and so on.

One problem with your post I noted: since this is a global forum, you can't expect everyone to know what "2k and up" is. Best thing is say "US$ 2,000.00 and up for [type a company name, or add a URL]"

Good luck m8

I usually find the best deals online, but remember that with online buying comes shipping costs, remember to keep that in mind. That being said, start by searching your local E-Bay.

Oh and a full carbon bike doesn't make that much of a differnece as opposed to Aluminium or Titanium. My Scott Speedster (aluminium) is 400 grams different from my dads carbon. 400 grams is not even one water bottle. Aerodynamics: aproximately the same between his CR1 and my Speedster. Aerodynamics are way more important than weight in a bike, unless you specialize on uphill racing!

You should try one of the offbrands like Motobecane. I own one, and I was a little embarassed at first to be riding a bike without a flashy paint job and a name that everyone recognized on the side, but once I realized how much money I saved, I wasn't so embarassed anymore. Honestly, the full carbon Motobecanes come loaded with decent name brand parts, and I personally think the Immortal frame looks pretty sweet.

Ive got an old giant carbon sitting at home, doesnt get ridden. At the moment im just about to start my 1st season of racing, and am riding a chromoly time trial bike (older as well), which is a bit heavier. Its got unreal aero tubing, and since the old man spent many hours building it i ride that. I know this is a bit off topic but am i making a stupid choice of not riding the carbon?

Not at all. Alot of people (myself included) actually prefer other materials like aluminum. They are cheaper and stiffer, and there is less of a difference in weight than you would think. Just look at Cannondale. That company is all about their lightweight aluminum bikes. Weight saving is cool, but unless you are a pro in the higher echelons of bike racing, petty gram shaving is just unnecessary.

Travis44 said:
I know that a full carbon bike (frame, fork, seatpost) goes for around 2k and up. Yet is there a full carbon bike out there for less? I see lots of no name brands with decent, but cheap bikes, Like the Tirreno Razza in performance bicycle for 1k, and its got full Ultegra, carbon fork and seatstays, and Easton wheels. What's the least amount of money you could spend on a bike (I'm talking about the most backwater bike company), but still get it full carbon?
It's not the most backwater bike company, but I believe you can get a Raleigh Cadent Carbon for around $2K US. I'm not sure if it's "all carbon" - I believe the seatpost might be aluminum/carbon. Frankly, that is a part, IMHO that carbon is wasted on. yes, I have a carbon seat post, but it is not worth the money it cost.

But the frame and fork are carbon and the components are Shimanon 105 (with maybe some Ultegra).

The Cadent is not a full blown racing frame geometry wise, but I've seen a couple and they look like pretty good bikes for the money.

I just bought a Fuji full carbon bike with dura ace for $1800 at an LBS in Houston. He also had the Fuji team all carbon with ultegra and 105 for $1200. These are 06 models, but if you are interested the name of the dealer is Cycle Spectrum in Houston Texas. These are nice bikes with great weight.

The close outs should be available at your LBS store, but $2000 is about the price range I've seen at most other bike shops, however I saw a Biachi carbon for $1500 yesterday so you just have to keep looking and making sure you get fit right.

Glen

Travis44 said:
...What's the least amount of money you could spend on a bike (I'm talking about the most backwater bike company), but still get it full carbon?
Don't know about the most backwater CF manufacturer out there, but you can get a very good full CF bike from these guys for a lot less than the big name brands and it aint junk: http://www.pedalforce.com/online/

Best thing about their site is that you can mix and match components from pull down menus and see the tradeoffs in terms of price and weight. Pretty easy to build up a 16 pound race worthy bike here without taking out a second mortgage.

-Dave

there are lots of carbon options out there at all kinds of price points (although the pickings get mighty slim under ~$1500).

the pedalforce aeroblade timetrial frame is a nice ride - there's a new one in my garage. I have no experience in pursuit racing - the frame seems quite stiff, but the carbon readily absorbs road vibration and I had no issues with doing distances on this bike... Other than (fresh from the shop) about two laps around my block to get things roughly set up , my first ride on it was 80+ miles (Tour de Blast), and the second was my first double century: STP, Seattle to Portland.

I think their regular price is $800 for the frame and the website for configuring things is fantastic (as are their prices on piece parts). quick and inexpensive shipping, with excellent packing.

I have no idea how bullet-proof this bike will be - but it's already proving to be fast and fun. and for what I paid for the parts -the frame was effectively free.

btw. the aeroblade frame appears to be identical to others like the one sold by www.velovie.com - just without the pretty paint.

Performance has some Scattante models that are fairly cheap. I think it's 1500 US w/105 gear set.

A friend bought one with Ultegra and they gave him 300 store credit and service for life or something like that. Not a bad deal if you just want to get into carbon. I like my alum with carbon forks and rear stays though...