What's the correct way to breathe?????

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Richard Holliin, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. How do yo breathe when you run? For years, I have breathed through my mouth (mostly) after I get
    winded and an office mate ways that is hurting my endurance.

    So, once and for all, what is the correct way to breathe while you are running?

    thanks, Richard

    Tags:

  2. MJuric

    MJuric Guest

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:35:12 GMT, Richard Holliingsworth <[email protected]> wrote:

    >How do yo breathe when you run? For years, I have breathed through my mouth (mostly) after I get
    >winded and an office mate ways that is hurting my endurance.

    Huh? Does he have any explanation for this other than I heard it once? Is he speaking of "If
    you can't breath thru your nose you're out of your aerobic zone"?

    >So, once and for all, what is the correct way to breathe while you are running?

    In and out. On a slightly less sarcastic note... You will breath according to how hard you
    are working. Many people have somewhat limited nasal breathing capacity so breathing thru
    the nose doesn't provide enough air even for a decent low aerobic workout. The end goal is
    to match the breathing with effort level. A few things that make sense or have worked for
    me. Diaphram breathing or "belly breathing" vs chest breathing. Seems to help anytime I get
    a side stitch. I now try and diaphram breath all the time. I read once that the potential
    for, note "potential", for intenstinal fortitude problems exist from the diaphram "slapping"
    the intestine in long disatnce runs. It was reccomended that if you run into this problem
    try switching your breathing cadence to teh opposite side. I.E. If you are breathing on
    right foot strike switch to left foot strike. I can't remember which side but one side is
    closer to teh intestine than the other or something like that. Many here subscribe to
    breathing certain cadences for certain efforts etc. I guess I've never paid attention and
    simply let the breathing cadence take care of itself.

    ~Matt

    >thanks, Richard

  3. Da Man

    Da Man Guest

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:35:12 GMT, Richard Holliingsworth <[email protected]> wrote:

    >How do yo breathe when you run? For years, I have breathed through my mouth (mostly) after I get
    >winded and an office mate ways that is hurting my endurance.
    >
    >So, once and for all, what is the correct way to breathe while you are running?
    >
    >thanks, Richard

    Your mates a dummy. Ignore him.

  4. In article <[email protected]>, Richard Holliingsworth wrote:
    > How do yo breathe when you run? For years, I have breathed through my mouth (mostly) after I get
    > winded and an office mate ways that is hurting my endurance.

    He's talking rubbish. (Ask him for a reference and watch him cough and splutter)

    Cheers,

  5. His Mother named him Richard, but we all know him as a dick. If breathing is such an ongoing
    problem, might I suggest giving it up altogether?

  6. Da Man

    Da Man Guest

    On 18 Sep 2003 22:11:46 GMT, [email protected] (TheRacker) wrote:

    I hate to give up any of my secrets, but if you throw in a little "back n forth" and "side to side"
    with that "in and out" you'll be much, much more popular with the ladies.

  7. Why do you suppose mouth-breathing and knuckle-dragging are often linked as physical and behavioral
    characteristics?

    Steve McDonald

  8. Amh

    Amh Guest

    Richard Holliingsworth <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > How do yo breathe when you run? For years, I have breathed through my mouth (mostly) after I get
    > winded and an office mate ways that is hurting my endurance.

    Your office mate knows of a different method of breathing? Is this mate of yours an amphibian and
    breathes through his skin?

    Please have your mate explain what the other alternative is I'd love to hear it.

    > So, once and for all, what is the correct way to breathe while you are running?

    The harder you work the more oxygen your muscles need (and the more they need to expell carbon
    dioxide and other stuff). Use your abdominal muscles to draw a breath in through your mouth and push
    it out through your mouth. Some folks recommend you breath in rhythm to your steps, something like 2
    steps breath out, two more breath in. I've never tried it but it may help you. Don't close your
    mouth and breath through your nose.

    As you increase your speed your need for oxygen will increase and your breathing rate will also
    increase. At some point you'll probably notice you are also drawing in air through your nose.

    Hope this helps. Andy

    > thanks, Richard

  9. "Richard Holliingsworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How do yo breathe when you run? For years, I have breathed through my mouth (mostly) after I get
    > winded and an office mate ways that is hurting my endurance.
    >
    > So, once and for all, what is the correct way to breathe while you are running?
    >
    > thanks, Richard

    Try duct tapping your face and breathing through your ass. Our company sells lots of products that
    suck..Try www.microsoft.com . thanks

  10. Steve Common

    Steve Common Guest

    Richard Holliingsworth <[email protected]> wrote:

    >How do yo breathe when you run? For years, I have breathed through my mouth (mostly) after I get
    >winded and an office mate ways that is hurting my endurance.

    What kind of carpet is he smoking?

    >So, once and for all, what is the correct way to breathe while you are running?

    Breathe in quickly, using essentially the stomach (diaphragm). Breathe out as slowly as possible
    without suffocating. It'll regulate itself after that.

    Breathe through whatever holes will allow air into your lungs. Unless you're running in Siberia or
    Alaska it makes no odds (and even then... Dot?)

  11. Dot

    Dot Guest

    steve common wrote:

    > Breathe through whatever holes will allow air into your lungs. Unless you're running in Siberia or
    > Alaska it makes no odds (and even then... Dot?)

    Just be careful not to inhale too much snow ;) Watching elite mountain runners over the weekend -
    yep, they breathe like we do - through whatever works, esp. the mouth.

    Dot