What's the Crack?

rowskein

Feb 13, 2006
I was just cleaning my bike for event on Saturday and noticed a few small stress fractures have started. There are 3 of them. Is it time to say goodbye to the wheels? I was planning to use them for a 90 mile event with a some steep climbs in it. That's in 2 days these are my only set of light weight wheels.

Any one got experience with this? My gut feel is they're gonna be okay for the ride but it's time for new rims after that.

Largest Crack!

2nd Crack (only just see it)

Barely See it Crack! (On the rim at the 1st spoke above the blue sticker in the bottom the pic)

3 Cracks, I would probably retire the set after finding 1 crack. How many spokes are in your wheelet? Judging by the pictures, there are not enough to support loosing tension on 3 spokes.

Thanks,

It's a rear wheel with 28 spokes. The 14 on the drive side are crossed, the none drive side come out radially from the hub.

Yes, the rim has reached "end of life" and should be tossed. You can probably make it through the 90 mile event without the cracks opening to the point of total rim failure, but personally I'm not sure I'd do it. I'd worry about the wheel failing while braking and cornering on high-speed descents.

[SIZE= 11pt]How many miles did you get on the wheel? I just replaced my Circuit wheelset due to a similar crack in the rear rim. The rear wheel lasted 30K miles without any truing or other problems before I found the crack, which to me is impressive life for any rear wheel. [/SIZE]

Thanks, I get a feeling of Russian roulette with them now. Maybe i shouldn't have cleaned and checked them ;-)

I didn't do quite as well as your 30K. More like 10K miles but I am a bigger guy! I've also ridden them when I've been on the heavy side 210-215lbs. I'm 188lbs at the moment. The replacements will be hand builds probably with 32 spokes.